Jerry Rice Thinks He'll Be Traded

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by texasguy346, Oct 13, 2004.

1. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

I found this to be really interesting. I'd hate to see the guy traded, but if he's got a better shot at getting playing time with another team then it's not all bad. Hard for him to compete with the young and fast WRs on the Raiders.

ESPN

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

He should have retired , a classic case of a great athlete not knowing when to call it quits :BananaWav

3. Blake

Blake MMQB

I think he could have still been productive this year. But I agree. Go out on top of your game. Let everyone know that you couldnt be beaten ever. You dont have to try and prove it.

4. Ihategeeks

Ihategeeks Hall of Fame

Come to me Jerry, come to me :woot

5. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Jerry is less than average now. He would be the 5th WR here.

6. JustBonee

JustBonee Hall of Fame

I wonder what Jerry Rice means by "going out the right way"... for most of them I think it means being carried out in a body bag!
    They seem to be the very last to notice that they are losing it, but I guess that is human nature.
    It's a shame because they only embarrass themselves in the process.

7. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

I agree that it's just human nature. Some are better at recognizing when it's time to go than others. I compare it to an older man or older woman being told they no longer have the ability to drive (or something similar where they've done it for a very long time). It's difficult to accept that you're no longer able to do something that you've done for much of your life. Sure Pro Football is a career to these men, but many started out playing it as young boys. They have a hard time remembering a time when they weren't playing it, and it just further complicates the realization of when its time to let it go. I hope he finds what he's looking for, but I fear he won't be able to 'go out the right way' this late in his career.

8. Ihategeeks

Ihategeeks Hall of Fame

If Jerry Couldn't play I would agree with these statements

in 03 he had 60+ catches with the 3rd string QB alot of the year
    in 02 he had 90

This year they don't let him on the field because he doesn't fit into a vertical offense well.

If Jerry can go to any WCO he would do well, he isn't as fast, but when the hell has he ever been really fast?

He is still in fatastic shape, still trains like it's obsession. He still get off the line and make CB's look stupid.

Any team running a WCO who can get Jerry Rice cheap should do it.

Jerry to the lions, teaching Roy Williams and Charles Rogers, actaully catching the ball on 3rd down?

Oh thats a dream, and a Jersey would rock ^_^ Too bad it doesn;t look like it will happen >_<

9. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Charles Rogers has been a bust so far. He is too injury prone. He will never live up to the hype he got coming out of college.

10. CrumplerFan

CrumplerFan Rookie

I think the Texans Wr corps is a lot different from most in the league. A lot of speed and an offense to go deep more than often. At least they can.

Jerry Rice isn't fitting to this and everyone would knew, there is talent on the bench to develop, but the old man is sitting on his spot.

I believe Teams with less depth at Wr and/or a system operating with short and intermediate passes can use Jerry Rice very good. 70 catches could very well the result.

I could imagine Detroit, Atlanta, Arizona (if Boldin wouldn't return),Tampa (they are desperate), Denver (Rod Smith still plays, too) picking him up, if there wouldn't be the cap hit for Oakland releasing him...