Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Jerry DeLoach at NT

A Texan

Waterboy
Jerry has been working at nose tackle in minicamp in Seth Payne's absence. As you know he has been a starter at end the past 2 seasons. How much do we lose if he has to replace Payne in the season. As for size he is 6-2, 315; Payne is 6-4, 303.

with walker and smith.. we dont lose anything if deloach has to play center.. except for the skills of Payne.

Payne is an excellent run stopper and Deloach is an average one, you are losing that and a little more, IMO

DeLoach is actually a good run stopper, it is QB pressure that he fails on. We lose though because Payne is a pro-bowl caliber NT. Don't read too much into this though because Payne is mid-rehab--they have never expected him to be back at this point so DeLoach is taking the snaps at this point.

At this point I'd rather have Deloach in there playing DT than Payne. Give Payne all the time he needs to come back and let Deloach, who is healthy, gel with the DL unit and the linebackers into producing conformity. The more time Deloach can get at DT the better, we already know Payne can do it, Deloach needs to get his reps in if Payne can't contribute.

According to Jeff Fisher prior to last season's beginning, Seth is the most under rated player in the NFL. He was complaining about how disruptive he was even in plays he was not getting tackles and sacks. He is the kind of guy who throws the timing off of an entire offense. If he isn't in there, we need 2 men to do what he does by himself (nothing against DeLoach - just up on Payne). The "Human Rhino" may be my favorite player on the team. I will not consider the notion he might not return. We need him back and ready.

DeLoach is a good player but nowhere near the player that Seth Payne was, in his first year and a game and a 1/2 in the second, with the Texans.

I hope that Seth is back to himself and that DeLoach is there to spell Payne and hopefully provide some progress in his contribution to the team.

Payne to the Pro Bowl in 2004.

Payne and Walker are two of my favorite players and I agree with Ses, Dilbert and the majority here. Keep him away from everything but rehab for now. Infantry is right also. Deloach is a solid run stopper. He is a solid reserve. It's nice to have a bit of depth instead of having guys like Deloach starting.

Payne is disruptive at NT. He doesn't just hold ground, a healthy Payne commands double teams and often destroys them. He gets in the backfield and creates mayhem. DeLoach is dependable, holds ground, is a good run stopper but he is nowhere near the same level as a healthy Payne. A good temporary solution while Payne rehabs, yes. A good long term solution as starting NT, no.

I'll just say this because it is the play I remember most about Payne. When we played Dallas our first year, it was Payne that forced Carter to tuck the ball and try to run out,only to be stopped by G-Funk.

I wonder why we never went after Gilbert Brown from the Greeen Bay Packers IMO he could be a very good backup for Seth Payne what do you guy's think.

That a massive NT is essential in the 3-4. That couldn't be further from the truth. Ask any 3-4 coach and they'll say an athletic, quick NT is more beneficial.

My best memories of when Payne was healthy was his lateral movement along the line of scrimmage, making plays on RBs cutting the sweep inside (thats a big IF the OLB is keeping contain).

Big, fat tackles like Gilbert Brown are more suited for a 4-3 where tackles are used to take up the 3 interior OL. In the 3-4 all three DL need to have the athleticism to make plays, not just be a bunch of Siragusa's out there.

Not bad for my first post ;)

From what I've seen and read, all DL in the 3-4 are basically tackle types meaning that bulk, size, and strength are really more important than pure
athleticism (of course you'd prefer players with all qualities). The DL contain,
nuetralize the OL and the backers are free to tackle the ball carrier and pass rush - the OLB are where you're best athletes are. The 3-4 is cap friendly -
you don't need high profile, expensive DL (think Kearse & J.Taylor), and the
OLB can be played by tweeners who aren't really suited for DL or LB in the 4-3
(think Babin).

Deloach is not going to be an embarrassment at NT and will do some nice things, especially against the run, but he a guy that as long as he is starting you will be looking to upgrade the position.

capers is playing this one safe and smart...giving payne all the time he needs to recover before the season starts while giving deloach the reps he needs at NT in case payne isn't able to go by week 1...payne is often overlooked on the field...he has the aggression to make plays he's not supposed to make which is why he's a special type of player...hopefully this year we can keep him healthy and on the field as much as possible...he alone can make a difference on the field...just looking forward for the season to begin...this baseball basketball stuff isn't cutting it anymore

I hear you on the other balls, except it was good to hear the Stros finally got in the W column again, but come on football!

I heard that Seth Payne was feeling good and ready to go but has anyone heard if he is back at full strength and the prognosis of his play?

Deloach gives up strength, speed, pass rushing, and run stuffing, plus a legitamate player who can take on double teams every play, pretty much Payne is all around better.

Back