Jerome Solomon Article on Schuab

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by HoustonFrog, Oct 16, 2008.

1. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Yeah we have heard alot of things over the last few weeks and Solomon isn't always my favorite but he asks alot of the same questions that I have seemed to ask here and he has alot of the same thoughts. I don't blindly accept he is better than Sage, etc or that he will end up being a star but SOME people are pretty bad fans when it comes to the situation...this is parts and pieces of it.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/solomon/6060889.html

2. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

That's all well and good, and I agree with much of it, but really, at the end of it all, there's one thing that trumps all:

8 turnovers in 4 games.

If he wants to shut the critics up, cut that down. It's really simple.

powerfuldragon likes this.
  3. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Agreed. But I do think that people are a little messed up when they give him no credit for a great game he lost..J'Ville and then chant for a guy who just single handedly gave away a win the week before. I'll post again what yahoo said yesterday

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-32questions101408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I think both guys are struggling at times but people need to just accept the situation and see where it heads this season. In all reality, if it isn't Schaub it will be a draft pick or a new vet.

4. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

& what trumps 3 turnovers in 4 minutes to lose a game that was a sure-fire win?

5. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I've never called for Sage over Schaub, and I'm not one to get caught up in stadium chants. Without bringing Sage into the conversation at all, Schaub's judgment will come down to one single thing for me - his ability to make sound decisions on the football field. He has consistently made questionable throws in games dating back to his first. Sometimes he gets away with and sometimes he doesn't. Every QB makes questionable throws from time to time, but Schaub's off the deep end with it. His numbers reflect it, and those of that have watched the games know that his INTs could actually be higher.

This has nothing to do with Sage, for me.

Ole Miss Texan likes this.
  6. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Again, well said. It will come down to just that and in the end it will be him or next year will be a rookie learning or a vet coming in.

7. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Greeeaaaaat!!! Frog and Queen Soloman thinking alike :gun:

;)

8. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Speaking of Frogs. Huge game tonight for TCU.

Can they upset #9 BYU???? Will TCU's vaunted 'D' have a better showing than the OU game????

Find out tonight!!

Sorry for the randomness. :cool:

9. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I know, probably the one and only time!!

It's huge. I just don't know if the secondary can hack it. In the past TCU has had one of the top defenses and they really showed it...games against Nebraska years ago and Oklahoma 2 years ago but they show some cracks against the pass now. We need our stud DE to get pressure.

10. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Yeah but that's not saying much....that's true for all Qb's.

never mind the booers...a good portion of those are full on adult beverages & the others are just idiots... a big reason i don't like going to games of any sort.

IMO, What some fail to grasp, or just don't care about to really pay attention to, is that he's also barely finishing his 1st year as a starter this year. Despite him being in the league for 3 years, he's pretty much still a rookie starter as he missed a ton of games last year.... his play to this point essentially says that...some flashes & then...

He's never gonna put amazing stats like a Manning or Favre. But as long as Kubes keeps surrounding him with better talent, i could see him reaching say a Bernie Kosar type level....serviceable you know.

Double Barrel likes this.
  11. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I gotta' dig that quote. It's the only way to be.

Schaub is still learning, but I see the potential for him to be a good QB in this league. In spite of his own mistakes, he still kept his head in the game and did what he needed to to when it mattered most.

12. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I know I'll be watching. I actually like both teams, but I'd like to see TCU pull it out. It'll really be BYU's first test of the season. They really haven't played anybody. Their QB looks like a good one too.

:popcorn:

13. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Not that I'm disagreeing with your basic point... but...

This is his 5th year in the league, not his 3rd. He shouldn't really be getting a pass on anything because of inexperience.

And I also disagree with you in that I think he CAN put up amazing stats. If he stays healthy for a year, he can put up some huge numbers. Unfortunately, like guys like Favre and Elway, that looks like some pretty high interception numbers, too. If he can get the red zone and his short passing game working, he could be a great QB.

14. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Yup, his pace would project to 4300 yards on a season. We won't talk about how his INT's would project right now.

15. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

*cough*26notcountingfumbles*cough*

Most reasonable people recognize that the jury is still out on Schaub, and there are some indications that he could put up some incredible numbers. Those same people ought to also recognize that there are indications he could be a bad QB. It's too early to tell, but we're probably about halfway through the evaluation process at this point.

16. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

How about we get in Schaub's corner this week to try and get a win against Detroit?

17. Tedc

Tedc Hardheaded

People still read this guy? I thought he had a radio show in San Antonio.

18. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Good point I-cak...4300 yds is very good until your eyes move further right into that Interception column.

19. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Sorry I caught this while reading the sports in my "other office"

20. Tedc

Tedc Hardheaded

A very appropriate place for one of his articles.