Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Jerome Mathis

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I did see Kiper list him in the top 25 once (I think). I'm thinking that Jerome ran into some off the field problem between the combine & the draft. What that might have done to his draft stock, who knows? He's a fab talent, but still steak tar-tar as a WR.

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
Sometimes I like to review a rookies standing in the "mock drafts" from earlier
in the year after we've got a ways into the regular season and the player has had an opportunity to establish himself. In reviewing Mathis's predicted finish in some of the mocks right before the April Draft, he's just about where a spectacular prospect with his credentials might be - definite first day pick
with some mocks predicting he'd go late in the first round. Only one thing wrong with that picture - we all know the reality is that we lucked out and found Mathis still on the Board in the 4th round ?

beerlover

Hall of Fame
is that something like even a physically challenged squirrel can find a nut once in a while? as a small school prospect with raw tools thats what most people expect'ed 3rd/4th rd. his top attribute has always been his speed, I believe he ran a 4.3 in the combines which along with the post season Villages Gridiron Classic game brought him into scouts consiousness. now he officially had his coming out party its easy to second guess, but for everyone like him who succeeds there are two or three who do not.

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
I read Mathis broke his jaw in a fight, but I could not find the link. But who cares, Mathis fell to the fourth and we got him!!!

Cheroqui

Waterboy
Texas said:
Mathis has proved to alot of people that doubted him that he is good. All I heard at the beggining of the season was swinton and thomas this swinton and thomas that. Now I see most of you worshipping mathis. Check out the players before automatically judging them next time ;)
I still would have liked to keep Sloan Thomas around though. I'm just smiling like you now at all the people talking about Mathis now that didn't say anything or weren't ready to see him out there "yet". Told you!

What's up with being able to edit your own post on here anyway?

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Cheroqui said:
What's up with being able to edit your own post on here anyway?
Some of us are just horrible typist. I have to edit anything over three lines just so you guys could read it.

MorKnolle

All Pro
Mathis ran a Combine-best 4.28 last year. I personally was hoping we'd draft him in the 3rd round because I figured he'd go then, although I wasn't disappointed with getting Morency because he is a solid RB, although we already have Domanick there. I was happy to see Mathis fall to us in the fourth round and can definitely say I still am happy we got him. He is a great returner and is quickly developing his WR skills.

swtbound07

Jackass of Day!
anybody else think the falcons are kicking themselves for drafting roddy white in the first round.....?

Vinny

shiny happy fan
swtbound07 said:
anybody else think the falcons are kicking themselves for drafting roddy white in the first round.....?
Why? Rookie WR's rarely produce and no WR's produce in a Vick offense. From everything I've read they are happy with his skill set and has more talent than White or Finneran.

Scooter

Funky
i've gotta admit, i had my doubts about mathis and figured he'd be just another track runner with average ability (bradford). after these past couple games ... will somebody save me a seat on the mathis bandwagon? from his first kickoff return, i was REALLY impressed with the way he ran with his eyes down the field and with how quick he took off ... plus he's stupid fast. i'm still a little hesitant on how well he'll do as a receiver because as someone else said, consistancy is something he's got to prove he's got. that said, i'm pleasantly suprised with how he's played so far as a wr ... despite not getting looked at but 4(?) times. here's hoping that he & armstrong get the opportunity to show everyone how good they really are.

i'll accept all of the "i told you so"'s that yall have ... looks like yall were dead on about him.

:texflag: