Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Jerome Mathis in Motorcycle Accident

jerek said:
...I wonder what happens when you approve of ill misfortune befalling another?
Probably the same thing that happens when you approve of good misfortune befalling another. :rolleyes:

[soapbox] Seriously, I truly believe that it leaves a lasting scar on your soul. I also believe that you get what you give, in life and beyond, and we should never forget that but for the grace of God the misfortunate one could be you or I - and as it is, the misfortunate one is always our brother or sister under God. [/soapbox]

Even if they can't catch a pass for ****.

BradK10 said:
I tell you what else is gonna be an embarassment, when our fans boo Reggie Bush. I know it's gonna happen, and when it does, we fall behind Philadelphia in terms of bad sports fans.
Those boos will disappear the first time Bush lays down 75 yards of vapor trails on a simple option play. Besides, Philly fans booed Santa. The bar has been set pretty low. Texans fans have a ways to go.

I saw it too...We just need a link...Probably will be in the cronicle tomorrow...What a idiot...Maybe it will make his hands better!

jerek said:
For what? Don't be ridiculous. If Richard Justice gives an unfavorable sound bite about you some day, I hope his listeners are equally as merciless toward and quick to pass judgement on you.

Richard Justice says it, and it must be true. Wow.
I'd rather read MONARCH's posts. He was late to Pro Bowl meetings, fought with Marcellus Rivers, and is supposedly thinks he's above everyone else.

Mathis made PFT ...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

MATHIS PULLS A WINSLOW

A league source tells us that Texans receiver Jerome Mathis is sporting casts on both hands and bandages on his wrists and arms due to a recent motorcycle accident.

The accident happened recently, and nearly a year to the day after Browns tight end Kellen Winslow auditioned for the role of Superman by flying over the handlebars after attempting a reverse wheelie. Winslow suffered far more extensive injuries, including a torn ACL that knocked him out for the 2005 season.

Per the source, the injuries to Mathis appear to be limited to his arms. The source added that Mathis looks like "a mummy from the elbows down" (which raises all sorts of interesting bathroom issues).

Coincidentally, both Winslow and Mathis are represented by the Postons.

Attention all NFL players. You are not invincible. And you need your bodies to make your living. So wait to do the motorcycle thing, or any other potentially dangerous activities, until after your careers are over.

Playing pro football should be enough of a rush. When you can't play pro football anymore, then go look for other ways to get your bodies snapped and twisted 100 different ways.

Thanks for the link Chuck. This stinks and hope that he has a speedy recovery, but raises multiple questions on draft need depending upon the effect of the injury on Mathis playing abaility down the road.

OK, somebody please catch me up... why do we hate Jerome Mathis? There seems to be a lot of negative comments about our only all-pro player.

Haams said:
OK, somebody please catch me up... why do we hate Jerome Mathis? There seems to be a lot of negative comments about our only all-pro player.

The only negative comments that I've heard or read, outside of MB posters, was John McClain. A few weeks bad he alluded to Mathis being a bit stubborn and hard to teach .... much ado about nothing or an ominous sign of trouble?

houstonbuckeye said:
this close to the draft , this may open the door to another draft choice for a returner.
Why??? I thought pretty much everyone agreed that this team has lots of holes to fill, and we already have an all-pro there. This does not seem like it is the end of the world. It does not sound like he tore anything or broke anything. Injuries happen, albeit this was because of a stupid mistake. He will heal and come back as good or better as last season.

chuckm said:
The only negative comments that I've heard or read, outside of MB posters, was John McClain. A few weeks bad he alluded to Mathis being a bit stubborn and hard to teach .... much ado about nothing or an ominous sign of trouble?
When was this said?

wrestler4life said:
When was this said?
Search these boards. McClain has said it on the Chronicle podcast and written it once (that I know of). Megan Manfull wrote about it, too. Although, Manfull had more to say about Mathis not being a team player, McClain has mentioned it in passing. I wrote the guy asking if he would write or comment directly about the issue to clarify the issues with Mathis. But you know McClain tends to toe the Texans' party line so he might perfer to not talk too much about the troubles in last years locker room (And from what I can tell, there were troubles in that locker room).

Is anyone going to the Houston Touchdown Club's dinner next Wednesday??? Jerome is supposed to be there.

I just hope he is OK and wish him the best.

McClain chimes in:
The new coaching staff is finding out what the previous staff learned last season - that receiver Jerome Mathis is immature and irresponsible.

Returner wasting chance

Mathis, who isn't supposed to ride motorcycles, was involved in an accident over the weekend. The AFC's Pro Bowl kickoff returner wasn't injured seriously. He suffered cuts on his arms and is wearing bandages that are supposed to come off this week.
The problem is that Mathis is blowing a great opportunity to show coach Gary Kubiak, offensive coordinator Troy Calhoun and receivers coach Kyle Shanahan that all those things they heard about him aren't true.

But they are.

The Texans can't count on Mathis, which is another of the many reasons they would be foolish to pass up Bush. Not only is Bush an extraordinary runner, but his terrific receiving and return skills make him even more valuable entering the draft.

Defensive end Mario Williams is a super prospect, too, but unless he could knock some sense into Mathis, he's not going to be as useful to the Texans as Bush.

As for Mathis, if he doesn't get his act together fast, he can get back on his motorcycle and ride it right out of town.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3820034.html

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/mcclain/3820034.html

Mathis, who isn't supposed to ride motorcycles, was involved in an accident over the weekend. The AFC's Pro Bowl kickoff returner wasn't injured seriously. He suffered cuts on his arms and is wearing bandages that are supposed to come off this week. The problem is that Mathis is blowing a great opportunity to show coach Gary Kubiak, offensive coordinator Troy Calhoun and receivers coach Kyle Shanahan that all those things they heard about him aren't true.
But they are.
The Texans can't count on Mathis, which is another of the many reasons they would be foolish to pass up Bush. Not only is Bush an extraordinary runner, but his terrific receiving and return skills make him even more valuable entering the draft.
Defensive end Mario Williams is a super prospect, too, but unless he could knock some sense into Mathis, he's not going to be as useful to the Texans as Bush.
As for Mathis, if he doesn't get his act together fast, he can get back on his motorcycle and ride it right out of town.

Ya'll friends of Mathis? Do you know anything about Mathis? Or just knowing him by reading a newspaper? He had a great season for us last year right?
He went to the Pro-bowl right? Why don't we give him a chance this year to prove himself that his is a coachable player. I don't know about ya'll but I am looking forward to Mathis' KR this year.

SAMURAITEXAN said:
Ya'll friends of Mathis? Do you know anything about Mathis? Or just knowing him by reading a newspaper? He had a great season for us last year right?
He went to the Pro-bowl right? Why don't we give him a chance this year to prove himself that his is a coachable player. I don't know about ya'll but I am looking forward to Mathis' KR this year.

There seems to be a lot of smoke, and where there is a lot of smoke, there is fire. It would appear that Mathis is very immature and it has gone to his head. If you recall when Moss 1st came out he had problems. Perhaps Moulds will take him under his wing. I sometimes get the impression that McClain is a messenger for the Texans. Sort of what you call planned leaks and warnings.

I forgot one point and that is this is not last year's receiver core. We have gotten a whole lot better in that department and he's going to have to shape up if he is going to compeat for a WR spot. The competition is a whole lot better this year.

You basically have to all pro-WR's in AJ and Moulds. I think the young man from Cincy is going to surprise a lot of people. He has a very good work ethic with excellent hands. He's also use to competing. Mathis might be in a dither before the Spring is over.

Ibar_Harry said:
I forgot one point and that is this is not last year's receiver core. We have gotten a whole lot better in that department and he's going to have to shape up if he is going to compeat for a WR spot. The competition is a whole lot better this year.

You basically have to all pro-WR's in AJ and Moulds. I think the young man from Cincy is going to surprise a lot of people. He has a very good work ethic with excellent hands. He's also use to competing. Mathis might be in a dither before the Spring is over.
I do hope Walter turned out to be a good WR for us. Cincy fans has only a good thing to say about him. So I'm looking forward to see him in action this season.

RE: Mathis
Moss is Moss, Mathis is Mathis to me. I don't know if McClain is used as a messenger for the Texans. It is only your impression and not a fact. So I can't comment on that. But, I'm hoping that Moulds can teach our young WRs a thing or two to be competive in the NFL.

Back