Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Jeremiah Trotter a Texan?

scourge

Digression King
From ESPN.com
Despite recent reports that middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter will sign with the Eagles after he is released by the Washington Redskins next month, don't look for the veteran to be headed back to Philadelphia for a second stint. Most fans will recall that Trotter signed with Washington in 2002 after the Eagles rescinded the "franchise" label with which they had designated him. Philadelphia coaches are split over the play of middle 'back Mark Simoneau, a first-year starter in 2003, and some would like to upgrade. But if there is a change, it won't be with Trotter, who already has been replaced by Michael Barrow by the Redskins. Look for Seattle and Houston to perhaps court Trotter when he is released.

I know this is just a rumor like Darius, but what do you guys think about Trotter taking over for Foreman in the middle? As far as tackling goes, Jay has been more productive over the last few years, but Jeremiah has had more sacks and INTs, particulary when he was with Philly...

I think Trotter could be a very solid linebacker for us, and it might do him some good to be back in Texas. If we can get him for a reasonable price (not sure if we have to assume his contract with the Redskins or what) I think he and Sharper would make an excellent ILB team.

This was the topic of my first post on the new boards
Trotter, some might say, might be an upgrade over Clemons

Man, don't get me too happy before he even heads out to visit us. Would be great to start to get good LBs in our lineup. Right now we just seem to have Sharper, and I'm hopeful that Babin turns out good.

Although this guy is an older backer, there is no doubt he would be an upgrade over Clemons or Foreman. The Big Clemons experiment was horrible. The guy looked overweight and slow the entire season and was unable to regain the 3-4 scheme and speed need to play the position. This would be a great pickup for the Texans!

pittbull said:
Although this guy is an older backer, there is no doubt he would be an upgrade over Clemons or Foreman. The Big Clemons experiment was horrible. The guy looked overweight and slow the entire season and was unable to regain the 3-4 scheme and speed need to play the position. This would be a great pickup for the Texans!

I was so excited about Clemons last offseason, but he was a bust.

astrofan said:
This was the topic of my first post on the new boards
Trotter, some might say, might be an upgrade over Clemons

Roger Clemens would be an upgrade over Clemons!!! :bag:

Sabbat00, Rogers name is spelled Clemens. Please learn it since he is one of the greatest sports athletes ever, a product of Houston HS baseball, a product of UT baseball, a long remarkable major league career, and will be elected to the baseball hall of fame, the first year he is elegible.

Trotter would not fit in the Texans organization. He is a troublemaker.

pittbull said:

Actually, while Trotter has been in the league a year longer than Foreman, he is actually a year younger than Jay is... younger and more experienced, i like the sound of that

*edit* btw, Jeremiah is 27, Jay is 28.

Boxscore said:
Sabbat00, Rogers name is spelled Clemens. Please learn it since he is one of the greatest sports athletes ever, a product of Houston HS baseball, a product of UT baseball, a long remarkable major league career, and will be elected to the baseball hall of fame, the first year he is elegible.

Trotter would not fit in the Texans organization. He is a troublemaker.

oops!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

I can't believe 27 is old for a LB. All I am interested in is their ability to tackle, read plays, and cover. Age has a lesser bearing.

I don't know that much about him however my son said he is very good and would be a great addition to our LB's. So I'm on board, lets go after him. Hey CC move fast on this!

i'm all for upgrading over clemens and/or foreman ... what's he gonna cost us and how's his attitude?

I think if we sign any veterans after the June 1st deadline it will be or needs to be another DL. That is the area we neglected in the draft and one we could use more depth at.

bckey said:
I think if we sign any veterans after the June 1st deadline it will be or needs to be another DL. That is the area we neglected in the draft and one we could use more depth at.

hopefully haynesworth gets cut although it's unlikely.

CoachJim said:
In my book, that cancer couldn't be our waterboy. :neener:

all he needs is a little motivation. what more motivation can you get than signing with a rival of your former team that released you. we already know he has the talent. add that along with dom capers and you have a potential superstar.

Trotter turned down the Texans in '02 because their offer wasn't good enough for him. Then he signed a 7 year 35 million dollar contract with Washington (including 7 million in guaranteed bonus $$$). Then he blew out his knee. I expect he will be trying to get Sharper money but he seemingly has less leverage now than he did two years ago. He would be an upgrade over Foreman, but my concern with him is the $$$ he will command and the ACL recovery. I've read where Philly is trying to get him back.

With only 2.6 under the cap to play with, I really don't think the Texans are going to mess around with a guy like this. They are about 7 million under the cap and 4.4 of that is committed to the rookie pool.

I guess it all depends on how cheap we can get him. Nobody on this MB will dispute the fact that he is an upgrade over CClemons but only being a season removed from a blown out knee, I can't see selling the farm to get him. :worm:

Trotter is more of an inside guy and I think the trade off is more with Foreman than it is Clemons.

I think Trotter has more to offer than Foreman but the price and the knee are both concerns.

I think Clemons' best chance to make the team this year is backing up one of the inside guys.

There would also be cap ramifications (dead money) if either Formean or Clemons are cut. Clemons would go before Foreman but keeping Clemons would only cost $350k more than cutting him.

Foreman costs only $1.54 on the cap this year and his dead money hit would be $1.76 if he's cut. Yes, you could spread the dead money hit over two years if the cut is made after June 1, but as far as swapping Foreman for Trotter, I just don't see the risk/reward justification financially or performance-wise to make that move 'this year' all things considered. It would be different if Foreman was totally incompetent at the position. But, in '05 and especially in '06, Foreman's salary escalates to a level where the Texans will really have to start looking hard at his cost/benefit.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS said:
i read somewhere that the 3 frontrunners for Trotter's services are the Eagles, Seahawks and Texans.
Ummmm, maybe it was this thread? (look at the 1st post)

:rofl:

i honestly doubt trotter will be a texan...like aj said there might not be the money to sign him and we don't have the biggest need at linebacker...i would rather us sign either OL or DL

Back