Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Jeff Maehl Traded to Eagles

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
For Nate Menkin. Not bad considering I didn't have Maehl coming close to making the team.

Says a lot about Wade Smith's knee, imo.

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26 7m
Texas trade receiver Jeff Maehl to Eagles 4 tackle/guard Nate Menkin who played off. tackle 4 Texans last year.Menkin played guard 4 Eagles.

For Nate Menkin. Not bad considering I didn't have Maehl coming close to making the team.

Back again, from 2012:
He has size, strength and speed. He bench-pressed 225 pounds 39 times at Baylor University's pro day, and he runs the 40-yard dash in 5 seconds flat. But what Menkin doesn't have is pedigree and high-level experience, which is why he went undrafted and why he'll likely spend this season on the sideline, preparing for the future. He initially signed as a rookie free agent with the Houston Texans before the Eagles claimed him off waivers Sept. 1.
http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-comme...e-lineman-nate-menkin-working-prove-potential

Love this move.

Menkin was one I hated that he was stolen away.

Maehl wasn't going to impact us here, played for Kelly at Oregon. Good fit.

Uh.... looks like he slacked off on leg day

Nate.JPG

My guess is he still doesn't make the 53-man roster, but was traded for because of his experience with the offense/the team's experience with him. Plus I'm sure the team already made up their mind on Maehl (and Maehl was running out of practice squad eligibility anyways, thinking this would be the last year he could be placed on one).

He still has practice squad eligibility (while the Eagles claimed him, he was an inactive each week until they IR'ed him for a "throat injury").

Texans just don't have the salary cap space to IR stash too many players, but it will be interesting to see if another team comes in to grab him if we try to send him to the practice squad. Thinking even the Eagles could do so if they wanted.

You project him to left guard?

I project him as depth. He's played both G & T and with Williams and Smith sitting we need oline help.

I'm beginning to get a little worried on the severity of Wade's knee after this trade.

The fact that Rick Smith was able to trade the likes of Jeff Maehl for anything more than a peanut butter sandwich should make him GM of the year.

Yeah, Maehl had easily one of the worst performances on the field Friday and I wouldn't have cared if the Texans would have cut him instead. The fact that they got anything in return is surprising.

The fact that Rick Smith was able to trade the likes of Jeff Maehl for anything more than a peanut butter sandwich should make him GM of the year.

I doubt that Rick had anything tondo with it other than sign the paperwork.

This is two coaches doing these players and each other a favor. They were both headed to the gates.

This is two coaches doing these players and each other a favor. They were both headed to the gates.

Not to get too far off into the weeds because it's just window dressing...BUT last time I looked the GM is responsible for all personnel and transactions.

Using your logic, Rick Smith should be drinking a mai tai in Maui right now.

Mahael is a decent player. He had a bad game no doubt. Regarding the trade, it sounds like wade is getting ready to miss some time.

Cmon dude. Gotta give Rick credit where credit is due. Do you think G.K. drafted # 10 too?

If Maehl had any chance of making the team before Friday night, that opportunity has done left the station, so there's really no downside with this transaction other than it brings the realization that Wade Smith may be a lot more than "nicked up" as Kubiak likes to say.

My guess is we will find out soon that Wade Smith will miss 2 - 4 weeks (at least all of preseason, possibly even first week of regular season).

Menkin makes sense because he can step right in without too much of a learning curve and provide better competition than if they got someone with no experience at all with the team to play guard for the 3rd string (my guess is Ben Jones will start rest of preseason, Cody White (while I'm not a fan) will be the backup left guard).

This makes a lot of sense but... I was shocked when I saw it.

Maehl has never lived up to the hype or the reputation and he's got a chance with Chip Kelly that he doesn't have here.

Menkin? I don't think he's got any chance of making the team, either, unless Wade's going on IR.

Don't count out Quessenberry.

I was thinking of Quessenberry as more of a swing tackle but you are right, they did use him at both left guard and left tackle the first game.

Cody White was tried both at center and left guard, and seemed more comfortable at guard than center but didn't excel at either.

I expect Quessenberry to make the final roster, especially for his versatility. Don't think Menkin affects that.

Not to get too far off into the weeds because it's just window dressing...BUT last time I looked the GM is responsible for all personnel and transactions.

Using your logic, Rick Smith should be drinking a mai tai in Maui right now.

Please dont use his logic, rarely does it ever make sense.

I agree here. I like trading Maehl but why for an O-lineman when I think we've got bigger needs elsewhere on the team. I'm thinking O-line is a team strength with quality and depth, and we need help at OLB, ILB, and Safety.

Wade Smith may be a lot more than "nicked up" as Kubiak likes to say.

Kubiak isn't a doctor. He doesn't have xray vision & he can't see the future.

I'm sure he is telling us what he knows. After reading CnD's reports of the various injuries we've had, it sounds like the team doctors almost always treat as if the injury is a best case scenario only to find out later it's not. Sometimes they even send the players out too early & aggravate the situation.

Surely, if Kubiak knew it was a situation that would aggravate a condition, he wouldn't do it.

No, I think he's following bad advice from some otherwise well qualified doctors.

Menkin? I don't think he's got any chance of making the team, either, unless Wade's going on IR.

Well, Brennan Williams may go on IR & Menkin may beat out Cody White or Gardner.

The Texans liked what they saw in Menkin, they were trying to get him to the practice squad. They'll probably find a spot for him.

It's sort of interesting to note that Menkin suffered a rare blunt trauma throat cartilage fracture during a practice in December last year, and ended up on IR. This should not effect future performance unless the injury created enough scar tissue to create some airway obstruction, and a tendency to become "winded". This occurs in only ~5% of such injuries caused by sharp penetration (e.g., knife) vs. ~30% caused by blunt trauma (e.g., boxing).

Just a warm boddy to beat up in pre-season. My view is that Maehl knew he wasnt going to make this squad and Smith and Kubiak agreed to trade him to Philly where he might have a shot with Kelly. It really makes alot of sense for our team.

Like I said, we gave up a guy that wasnt going to make the team and would be taking away reps from the younger guys, and granted his request to join his old team. At the same time we got an OL that can come in and play ample time in these pre-season games while we are thin at interior line.

I was pulling for Jeff Maehl. I turned him into a Star in Madden 12 Franchise Mode. He never dropped a ball. :kitten:

I'm sure he is telling us what he knows. After reading CnD's reports of the various injuries we've had, it sounds like the team doctors almost always treat as if the injury is a best case scenario only to find out later it's not. Sometimes they even send the players out too early & aggravate the situation.

Surely, if Kubiak knew it was a situation that would aggravate a condition, he wouldn't do it.

No, I think he's following bad advice from some otherwise well qualified doctors.

I think Wade Smith is headed for the IR, and I think Kubiak knows it. We have seen this pattern before.

I was just thinking how I'm telling y'all to trust what Kubiak says in these situations, but when it comes to the QB competition, he can't be trusted.

I can now understand the perception some of you have about my opinions & the things I say here. To that end, I'm going to have to change my stance.

You guys are right. You can't trust a word Kubiak says. IT's all coach speak.

If Maehl goes on to have success with the Eagles. e.g Jacoby with the Ravens, it might be time to visit Larry Kirksey.

All the receivers we draft can't be that bad, Posey, Martin, Jean etc, etc.

Name one of Kirkseys success stories.

He can join Joe Marciano on his next team.

:coffee:

If Maehl goes on to have success with the Eagles. e.g Jacoby with the Ravens, it might be time to visit Larry Kirksey.

hmmmm.... now is it Kirksey's "poor coaching" or how they've been used in this offense?

I think Wade Smith is headed for the IR, and I think Kubiak knows it. We have seen this pattern before.

How does the Injury Settlement thing works, anybody knows?
With his age, I think they will let him go is that knee doesn't respond well.
He's been playing on bad knees for at least a year now.

I said the same thing a year ago when all the "fire Joe" stuff started. We have not developed 1 WR since Kubiak & his crew came in here. & that's not going to help us achieve the long term success that we want.

We've got to make some lemonade at the WR position, at the RB position (done), on the OL (done), at the TE position (done), on the DL (maybe done), at CB (McCain??), at Safety (Quin??).....

They can't all be blue chips, we've got to get something out of these lesser players.

Then I got to thinking about Jacoby... he's been a better WR for us than he was for Baltimore & things aren't looking as good as I'd hope for him (yup, I'm still pulling for the kid). Then I look at Walter..... could anyone have gotten what we got out of him for as long as we got it?

Posey came along nice... about what I expected with his football status the previous year.

LeStar.... I think he'll be one of the better 3/4 receivers in the league.

Martin... I think he can be a really good 3/slot receiver.

I think our cautious approach to games last year & our trying to force them into the #2WR position didn't help how we perceive them. I'd have used Walter as a flex TE, put him on the field as often as possible with Andre, OD, & LeStar.. I'd have brought Keyshawn in & used Walter as a second TE. I'd have brought Graham in & used Walter as a 4th WR.

But this ain't Madden so who knows.

Jacoby Jones actually did better as a WR his last three years as a Texan than he did last year with the Ravens.

2009 he had 27 receptions for 437 yards
2010 he had 51 receptions for 562 yards
2011 he had 31 receptions for 512 yards

2012 he had 30 receptions for 406 yards

Jacoby Jones actually did better as a WR his last three years as a Texan than he did last year with the Ravens.

2009 he had 27 receptions for 437 yards
2010 he had 51 receptions for 562 yards
2011 he had 31 receptions for 512 yards

2012 he had 30 receptions for 406 yards

Clearly John Harbaugh needs to fire his receivers coach.

Back