Jay Cutler should have been the first QB taken!

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by [[Gary Kubiak]], Aug 12, 2006.

1. Great instincts for a rookie. Not to diss, but his pocket presence is 5 years ahead of Carr and he is a rook.

Mayok was right. The throws he makes are amazing.

2. Davis37

Davis37 All Pro

I agree. The kid looks great

3. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

I say we put him in the pre-season Hall of Fame.

TD and Wolf like this.
  4. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

He wasn't playing with the first team defense, but David Carr does. Not to take anything away from him though, he seemed to have really improved since reports that he was far from taking the job from Plummer, he even took the backup spot from Bradlee Van Pelt. He was compared to Brett Favre, but I saw Peyton Manning in him when he made the TD pass on fourth down. First QB to be taken if Bud Adams didn't own the Titans. Jeff Fisher was the one who told the Broncos they should draft him, IIRC.

5. DominickDavisFan76

DominickDavisFan76 Veteran

Ummm...no means to disrespect but Bruce Gradkowski out of Toledo was

11-13....and he is a rookie....thats pretty good for his first game ever in the NFL...but maybe thats just me.

6. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

Niiiice.

7. football freak

football freak Rookie

can we trade Carr for Cutler?

8. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

You guys are funny, do you really think this kid would be doing this as a rookie QB on an expantion team? With Palmer as his QB coach?

"He is awsome", "Yea". ........................:shades: His first head coach in the NFL is Mike Shanahan a QB genius. He is living the good life as a rookie.

Sounds like I am hating on him but I am not I like Cutler, But holy cow people.

9. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

hmm but Jay only led the broncos to 13 points.. that isn't good enough

:sarcasm:

huge nailed it with his statement..

not bashing on Jay but will echo Vinny statement above..Jay will be ok over in colorado

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20060811_DEN@DET

10. football freak

football freak Rookie

Cutler did not play an entire game though did he?

11. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

no, it is a joke :D
    there was a thread on stats and big debate earlier

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I don't know about awesome.... but he did play pretty well.

I remember the commentators making a comment, saying Jay didn't have any mistakes, that he didn't do anything wrong.

what I thought was humorous, was this was right after he over threw Ron Dayne in the flats...... well, maybe it was two or three plays after.

The kid looked good..... better than I expected, and better than that funny report about him not catching on.

first QB in the draft?? I don't think so... second surely, but first?? the thing about it, is that both the second and third QBs went to teams that really didn't need a QB.

13. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

That "funny" report was from 6 weeks ago, more than enough time to catch on to things and learn.

14. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

not sure the Broncos have a lot of faith in Plummer so they made the draft day deal to move up and aquire the upgrade. Can't remember the specifics of Plummers deal but this will very likely be his last as the Broncos starting QB :twocents:

ps. I think Carr is very close in most areas to Jay, the main difference being can Carr regain his confidence after being shell shocked four years while Cutler has the luxury of developing on the normal rookie timeline.

15. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Mike Shanahan? I thought Kubiak was the QB genius. The Broncos didn't win a SB until Kubiak was the QB coach.

16. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/NFL_Czar/2006/08/12/Cutler_impressive_in_debut

Based on first impressions, Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer has to be shaking in his cleats. Granted, Jake has earned millions so why worry about rookie Jay Cutler playing ahead of him?

We may not be talking John Elway and Brett Favre yet, but Cutler is very close on arm strength. But what was more impressive was his improved quick release, his poise — there was a certain calmness about this kid — and his pocket sense. He used his legs well and he was patient on allowing some pass routes to develop.

In the end, Cutler was 16 of 22 for 192 yards and a touchdown. He also had one drop and another incompletion because the receiver stepped out of bounds after an 18-yard gain. Basically, Cutler’s stats were better than the combined numbers of Martz’s new quarterback stable in Detroit: Jon Kitna, Dan Orlovsky and Josh McCown.

“He played very well,” coach Mike Shanahan said of Cutler. “He executed the offense. He showed a lot of poise and overall did an excellent job.”

Cutler was happy with his debut. He admitted to being a little nervous, but he also said he wasn’t surprised that he played as well as he did.

“Both teams were pretty vanilla out there on offense and defense,” Cutler said. “It will be a lot different in the regular season. Everything will be faster.”

How does he know what it’s going to be like, being a rookie?

“Well, everyone’s told me it’s going to be a lot different,” he said, smiling.

Remember, Shanahan moved up in the draft in order to select Cutler, who might have been the quarterback the Lions overlooked. The Lions had a lot of needs and rookie linebacker Ernie Sims did play very well. But the Lions still need a franchise quarterback to emerge.

Could Vanderbilt’s Cutler really start this season?

“That’s why (Shanahan) drafted him,” another GM said in an email.

Of course, this GM was really emailing me to needle me about saying so many glowing things about Chicago’s Rex Grossman, who had a horrible game against the 49ers Friday night. That’s how fickle this NFL business is.

17. Dragon

Dragon Noob

B. Gradkowski 11/13 104 yards 2 TD 0 INT 0 fumble - Rookie 6th round
    J. Cutler 16/22 192 yards 1 TD 0 INT 1 fumble - Rookie 1st round

I think that what characterizes both players are that both are playing for teams with great QB coaches (Gruden/Shanahan) and neither is expected to start right away, although Cutler might be starting sooner than later.

Gradkowski have the luxury to sit behind Simms, Fiedler and Rattay, although the later will probably be cut, and learn the game for a couple of years

18. HOOK'EM

HOOK'EM Veteran

Cutler looking like the best QB out of the 06' Draft!

19. Texans>Colts

Texans>Colts Veteran

Gradowski is awesome:yahoo: but will not be as good as Cutler. Remember it was only a pre-season game. Cutler will turn out to be the best QB from this class of QB's.

20. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

I REALLY disagree. I think Omar Jacobs will turn out to be the best, followed by Lienhart. Cutler does not have "it" IMO. I do not like him leading a team.