Jaws gives breakdown on Schaub (AFC South Blog)

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by GP, Jun 28, 2012.

1. GP

GP Go Texans!

Just as I have said before: This team's passing game IS predicated upon the run game, we're not a passing team...we're a run team that runs so well that the passing game depends upon the success of the run game.

If you want to see a passing team who passes the hell out of the ball, look no further than the Saints. But THIS Texans team is a run team first and foremost.

And Ron Jaworski approves of my stance on this issue (read below!).

2. infantrycak

infantrycak Lead Moderator Staff Member

Nice job of taking one line out of context. Did you bother to read the entire paragraph in front of what you bolded?

Wait, for your reading leisure:

Oh my freaking lord, so the rushing oriented team is passing enough for the above to be true - how could that possibly happen?

We have a good rushing game now. That doesn't mean we are a rush oriented team. We are a balanced attack team playing off what Kubiak has always done with play action and boots.

3. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

I agree that ideally the team is a balanced attack. However, last year due to the Schaub and then Leonard injury the team turned to 5th rook to play qb. As a result I think Kubes was forced to rush more than he wanted to protect Yates.

One of the things with the Denver system is that they ran it for years witha passer and didn't really get anywhere. It was only when a quality passer was combined with a quality rusher that they finally won the sb. After years Kubes finally has a quality rusher and passer. He can finally run that balanced attack he has wanted for so long.

4. infantrycak

Totally agree with that. At the end of the day though, Kubiak is a former NFL QB and known as a QB guru. He is not setting up a system to be an unbalanced rushing attack. Schaub and AJ led the passing and receiving yards in a year we had zero rushing attack. People keep making this rushing assertion and we are not and have never been and never will be (under Kubiak) a power rush it down your throat and only pass in desperation kind of team.

5. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Kubiak ideally wants a balanced attack in order to have versatility in scheming. The more cards in his deck, the more ability to throw a team off balance.

6. rush2112mn

rush2112mn All Pro

If you dont have a rushing attack, or a threat of a rush, your passing game will not be as effective. We have seen that in the past here.....
    Schaub makes a lot of things happen with his rollouts from center.
    Plus, he has been in the offense since Kubiak first got here. He knows it inside and out.
    I am praying he stays healthy......:fans::texan::logo:

7. ckhouston

ckhouston Hall of Fame

Agreed, and for anyone who knows the game it is obvious.

8. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Welp, if Jaws says it...

I mean, never mind the fact that he works for the network we call BSPN & disregard everything else they say.

If he supports your opinion.... it must be right.

9. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

I remember a few years back when we had that classic rushing 1-2 punch of Green-Dayne having D's trembling in their cleats, Kubiak getting laughed out of town for suggesting that our great passing offense needs to use the run to set up the pass.

Kubiak's O is all about being a run-first balanced attack which can be explosive in the passing game because our zone rush can take it to the house from anywhere. When the run is going well, we put up big passing numbers by breaking a few big plays through the air, by putting the D off guard.

When we've been a lesser team and the run hasn't been working a few years back, we've put up big numbers passing because we've been chasing the game from the 2nd Q onwards, and the D has allowed us high completion on short and medium stuff, but when its come to goal-line/big 3rd down situations, they've been able to stop us when they wanted to.

Now that we've got what we need in both areas, all those 3rd down & goalline complaints have disappeared into thin air.

To me, we are clearly a run first team who are capable of blowing it open through the air when we choose, rather than when the D lets us. Hence how good we are on 1st down passing, because we can choose to throw it on first down rather than feeling we have to run it.

This is the reason why we're so devastating with winning talent, and also why we put up big numbers with losing talent, through those bad years, Kubiak stuck to his philosophy when arguably a change-up would have offered more short term success. Over time, a lot of the talent that was mediocre is still on the team, having learnt their trade and become successful at it, and all it took was some great O-line coaching and a couple of good picks at RB.

I don't get this viewpoint from endless tape study, I've formed it from 6 years of watching every Sunday live, a load of reading of articles, and a lot of viewing different opinions on here. I'm surprised that there is really any argument about it, I see it as well established all the way back to the Denver days.

drs23 likes this.
  10. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

What Kubiak really wants to recreate is the Super Bowl seasons that Denver had. They came out and blew the doors off opponents in the first half and then ran the ball the second half. For whatever reason, that hasn't really materialized. That's one of the reasons Schaub's incredibly slow starts a couple seasons ago raise red flags for me. Yeah, the defense was giving up 17-20 pts in the first half, but the offense scored 7 or fewer 10 or 11 times. In order to do what Kubiak wants to do, that needs to be reversed. And it has been from time to time, but Schaub needs to consistently be at his best in the first half, IMO.

11. GP

GP Go Texans!

Yeah, Ron Jaworski doesn't know anything about football.

Once again, you're trying to swim upstream on something and it's getting you nowhere.

It's not like he's some kid in Duluth who has a podcast with 3 subscribers. Ron Jaworski knows football.

12. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

I don't agree at all.

Ideally, Kubiak would love to run first to set up the pass, but the Texans have only done that starting halfway through last year. (And in spurts prior to last season)

All of the Schaub years have been pass-centric to my eye.

I would like for the Texans to dominate the run and have everything else come off that, but to say we are a running team "first and foremost" is not what I've seen at all.

13. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Chitown Frog

I trust JAWS almost more than any analyst out there. For one he does alot of his film work with Greg Cossell, who is probably one of if not the best talent evaluators and film gurus out there. His work with NFL Films and on Monday Night Matchup is hardcore. Some of these guys are more than ESPN talking heads.

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Careful what you say about Schaub.....

:cowboy1:

15. ckhouston

ckhouston Hall of Fame

Why does everyone live in the past on this topic?

RIGHT NOW ... TODAY ... Texans are a semi-balanced team with a heavy lean to the run.

16. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

I can only hope they are as you say, that's what I want.

But, they only started playing run heavy last year because they had TJ running the show.

Put Schaub back in there and what will we get?

I don't know.

I can only guess from what I've seen.

17. noxiousdog

noxiousdog All Pro

I think optimally kubiak has been quoted as wanting to be 60/40 pass. I'm sure that means with Schaub.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

18. ckhouston

ckhouston Hall of Fame

I can see us at 65-70% run this year, using the pass for mid-range third down conversions, and to catch the opponent sleeping and dropping the bomb to AJ on them now and again. Our defense will keep us in every game, we should be able to ground and pound.

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

If he's the Kubiak I thought we were getting in 2006, we may be in that range, because we're blowing people out in the first quarter & running it down their throats the rest of the way.

20. infantrycak

You folks are seriously high if you think our rush percentage reaches anything approaching 70%.