Jason Whitlock on Vince Young

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by tulexan, Mar 9, 2006.

1. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

2. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

I've been saying that VY's management team has been teh biggest concern on him. He is making/being advised to some horrible decisions.

I think that if he had signed with a big name agent, which wouldn't have been that hard, he might truly be fighting for the first spot in the draft.

3. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

Wow ..... he does know that this is THE Vince Young he's talking about right?

4. The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides Hall of Fame

I'm surprised this hasn't started some type of backlash on the board yet.

5. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I am too. I was a little hesitant in posting it because of the potential fire storm.

6. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

why? It's just the same tripe re-spewed. The piece says more about Whitlock than it does about Young.

7. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

:rolleyes:

8. TexansFight

TexansFight All Pro

Complete and utter bs article. Has Fatlock even talked to VY. This is what Tim Layden of SI had to say about VY after interviewing for 8 hours had this to say about VY:

Which opinion to you think is more valid, one by a fat *** with an axe to grind UT hater in Fatlock or a respected journalist who actually interviewed VY.

I am pissed off about this. ESPN has sunk to new lows with that. Can you believe they have this huge graphic castigating a guy who has been honorable and a champion:

[​IMG]

VY is going to be a star in this league. The Texans will use this bs spin to make the wrong move and pass on him. Casserly and the other asshats wil soon rue the day.

This was a stupid quote as well

Though I am a Texans fan, I am much more a fan of the Horns. Years of history and love versus an expansion team is no contest. If it was between the Oilers and Horns now that would be close.

9. Vinny

It does. Whitlock is a race-baiter. That's why he sprinkles his commentary with passive-aggressive stereotype baiting...

10. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Agreed. If you know JW then you know he is on island in KC. You can't get heard unless you stick your neck out.

11. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

ditto.

VY's 6 on his first wunderlich proves it is an issue. Not with him as a player, but as him during the offseason, negotiation of the contract, how he allocates his time away from the practice feild (same is being said about Carr rigth now, also); and above all some of teh advice he is recieving.

I think Whitlock might have nailed VYs attitude, and I think draft day may be a wake up call for him.

I'm afraid the VY is starting down teh Ricky Williams path (man who had the worst rookie contract EVER!)

12. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

evidently he can't discuss Young either without being labelled a "hater" or "race-baiter" even though he's African-American ...

13. Vinny

If the shoe fits...

14. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

John McClain's take on this, FWIW:

"Who wrote this? Most of it's a crock. I was with him on radio row. I've never heard of anyone called Black."

I am guessing if you want someone to read your stuff, you got to be a hater. I am not a big fan of VY's representation, but the conclusions that Whitlock draws from stuff are basically the worst way you could spin stuff.

What

ever.

:texflag:

15. travfrancis

travfrancis Veteran

i love how he just assumes that vy has a poor work ethic and won't prepare for games, simply based off the fact that he didn't prepare for the wonderlic test.

16. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

The Onion

17. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Oh-Oh.

You know, in about 4 months somebody's going to be bashing Casserly and referencing an article they saw once somewhere that said he relied heavily on the Wonderlic.

The Onion - The Onion - The Onion

18. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

It's so funny how a guy can stick tight with his family and close friends and all of a sudden he's rolling with a posse. What Whitlock needs to understand is Vince is walking a very fine line, as all athletes are.

Not everybody can be Randy Moss and spend all his time alone, or spend all his time with the wife and kids. People like people, people want friends. It seems to me that Vince is simply being loyal to the people who have been there for him since he was in high school. He's surrounding himself with those who have earned his trust. Sure, they might want a buck too... whatever. What they are doing, which Whitlock neglects to mention, is keeping him away from people attracted to new, big money. So sure, it'd be great if he was just kicking it at IMG, ignoring his friends, and answering only his agent's calls... but that's not everybody's cup of tea, and obviously not Vince's. A more legitimate argument for Whitlock would be, why isn't VY changing, why isn't he succumbing to the every whim of a disingenuous media and scheming NFL "insiders"?

Whitlock makes it sound like he's rolling with a crew of gangsters... sure Adams seems a little over his head, but what happened to the mentoring of McNair and Jamail's oversight. Judging from Wonderlicgate, Mack Brown still has his back. And after being nationally humiliated by dubious reports about his intelligence, I imagine Vince is being more vigilant. But to make this predictable pre-draft breakdown into a deep character flaw is just ridiculous. Why is this a story now?

If this is worthy of a feature article, where are the blockbusters detailing Jay Cutler's freshman indiscretions, or the fact that Leinart dated that girl from Laguna Beach and rolls with Jessica Simpson's crew (surely he's not focused). I love how the friendly confines of Austin merit a wakeup call for VY, but the star-studded USC lovefest of the past three years means Leinart is ready for NFL pressure. VY handled a bit of adversity, Texas fans and coaches weren't always fawning over his play at QB, Saban thought he'd be an all time great... at receiver. From everything you read, you'd think VY was this fragile, coddled, helpless mass of fear... dude never looked like that when the game was on the line... never.

19. ToroFan

ToroFan Rookie

Yeah Whitlock just rehashes whatever he feels like and tries to say whatever is sensational at the time. He seems like a two bit hack to me...Notice the inconsistencies below

Some quotes from an article he wrote prior that are inconsitent with what he just wrote...

"The inclination is to call Young the Muhammad Ali of Wednesday’s BCS title tilt. Young floated like a butterfly and stung like a bee, passing for 267 yards and running for 200 yards and three scores.

But the truth is he was Frazier, the underappreciated, talented superstar with something to prove. And just like Frazier, Young battered the team considered the “greatest of all time,” brought out the best in USC (and rival quarterback Matt Leinart), and the Texas QB shook up the world."

So his accomplishments in college football don't mean much...except he compares it to one of the greatest events in sports history in Ali-Frazier...huh?

"On a night filled with pressure, hype and anticipation, Young was about the only person involved in the game who didn’t crack in the first half.
    "

So wait, this isn't a pressure packed situation or not?

The only complaint with college football and the BCS system Wednesday night was that Young and Leinart won’t be around to stage a trilogy. If there’s ever a rematch, it will be contested in some future NFL Super Bowl, and it’s highly unlikely Bush will play any role.

So let me get this straight... The guy goes from playing in a future Super Bowl to acting like a wide receiver based on a rumored Wonderlic test score, and a friend who owns a nightclub ?

And perhaps his best quote, and ultimate what makes Whitlock look like a complete moron...

"Yeah, Young was Joe Frazier in “The Fight of the Century,” the first Ali-Frazier clash. Frazier whipped the “people’s champion” after months of being disrespected by Ali and sports writers overly impressed with Ali’s flair and speed."

Hmmm sounds familiar...I wonder what sports writer would disrespect him based on appearances or perhaps "flair". I really wonder who...:ok:

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/13551969.htm

20. travfrancis

travfrancis Veteran

wow, i actually like that quote