Jason Babin to be a Titan?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Hardcore Texan, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Per Adam Schefter's Twitter:

Won't that be something if we seem him twice this year. At least we know Matt won't be hit from that side

:ohsnap:

Just kidding, I don't have anything against the guy. I didn't even realize he was an eagle.

2. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Not if the Eagles match.

3. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

I realize that. We are going to see him in action against our OL at least for one game regardless, maybe twice now. Just thought it was interesting info. (Yes assuming he doesn't get injured, cut from the team, or die beforehand and the coaches let him actually play in the game.)

4. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

Any O-Lineman that gives up a sack to Babin should be fined. Heck, add TE & RB to that list.

5. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Watch him make their team and come back to kill us twice a year. He'll finish every season with 6 sacks but 5 of them will come in two games against the Texans.

6. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

Babin has actually been utilized well as a situational player at 4-3 end since he left the team.

7. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

That's what I was thinking. I don't think he's as bad as people are making him out to be. I watched a couple of the Eagle's games this year and he was a factor in them. I'm not talking pro bowl factor, be he was making plays.

8. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Thank you very much Casserly. You gave up alot of picks in the 2004 draft for this dude because you were afraid Tennessee would draft him before you picked again in the second round, and now they are positioned to get him anyways. And there were some good players to get in that drafts 2nd round and beyond.

9. BIG TORO

BIG TORO TERADACTYL #23

Why would you say that, thats just asking for it!

10. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 IDBLDogDareU

11. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Familiarity with the Texans version of Murphy's Law.

Babin was never as bad as people made him out to be. He was just another pass rushing DE who couldn't make the transition to 3-4 OLB. It's a pretty common story, not everybody is going to be able to make the move.

Failing that his career was set back a few years but since then, utilized properly he's be respectable and I think he's going to have a career year this season. We have Conner Barwin now and they're not that different really. Within an inch of each others height, a handful of pounds apart, both had 4 sacks their rookie year (ok, 4.5 for Barwin but he didn't have to change positions either).

The Texans blew it trading Babin for Boulware in my opinion. They should have given Babin more time to get the move back to DE at the NFL level down. Instead they punted him in favor of Anthony Weaver of all people.

Sometimes the Texans moves make no sense to me whatsoever.

NitroGSXR likes this.
  12. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Barwin is > than Babin

13. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Clay Matthews, basically a 4-3 DE in college, became in GB what the Texans wanted Babin to become with the Texans: a pass-rushing OLB in the 3-4 who got double digit sacks, and in just his rookie year.
    I mentioned GB because Capers, the Texans coach who drafted Babin when he came out of college, is now the GB DC who was probably very instrumental in the decision to draft Matthews.
    Too bad Capers couldn't accomplish in Houston what he has in Green Bay ?

14. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Our 3-4 defense wasn't that bad during the first couple of years, iirc. The players were long on the tooth, but that D was responsible for this NFL record:

Dec. 8, 2002: Despite just 47 yards of total offense, the Texans shock eventual AFC North champion Pittsburgh 24-6 at Heinz Field. All three of Houston's touchdowns are scored by the defense - two interception returns by CB Aaron Glenn and a fumble return by CB Kenny Wright. The 47 yards mark the lowest output by a winning team in NFL history.

15. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

We had some good players in our 3-4 scheme, there was one guy in particular Jeff Posey who had 8 sacks his first season with us and then for some reason Casserly didn't retain him.

16. Blake

Blake MMQB

17. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

Jason Babin is a decent player, just not a first round type of player. But, he is no match for Duane Brown or Eric Winston, to me its just a sign of desperation by the Tacks because they can't get a decent DE.

18. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Nope, Posey bolted the moment he became a free agent. He was gone like midnight the day he could sign with somebody else. He parlayed those 8 sacks into the biggest payday of his career and I can't say I blame him for it.

Hated losing him at the time though.

19. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I see no reason to make that proclaimation at this point. I hope it's true of course but I'll wait to see if Barwin blows up next year before I say that.

That ">" is a very slight one in my book until he demonstrates otherwise.

20. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I have always been concerned with Babin's high velocity spin moves creating a wobble in the Earth's axis.

Revolution likes this.