Jason Allen's INT

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by jtexas, Oct 3, 2011.

1. jtexas

jtexas Veteran

Great play by Allen, but why the heck was he left alone without safety help over the top? 30 seconds left in the game and we risk man coverage? I thought it was the Jets game all over again when that ball was in the air.

2. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

Risky but sometimes it works out, that's what you get when you play aggressive. Would rather go down swinging than the dime sit on your butts, go with what was working for you and it was working for them in the 4th quarter.

Did anyone see how far JA was off the line on that play I suspect he was rather far off his man, everyone in the building new it was going to be a deep throw.

3. The Cush

The Cush All Pro

For some reason we weren't in a standard prevent defense, maybe because there was 10 seconds left, but Troy Nolan was the safety on that side of the field lined up behind Allen a little. He ends up trailing on the play, maybe by design or maybe by getting burned. I feel really fortunate we escaped with a victory though either way.

4. Scooter

Scooter Funky

we were in a cover 4. allen, both safeties, and joseph were all deep - they WERE the over the top help. the safety on allen's side was slow to get over on that play and ended up underneath. i'd put that on the safety (not the scheme) for not being deep enough.

5. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

I'm just happy to see that Allen was smart enough to stay behind the WR, instead of trying to keep pace with him like KJ would normally do.

6. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

You know your defense good sir, must be all that dotball :tiphat:

7. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

think he quit playing dotball !!!! Sucks cause i am pretty hardcore into GLB.

8. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Yea, Nolan did not have a very good game on Sunday. He dropped a sure INT when Big Ben threw the ball directly at him. He may have moved one or two steps after the snap from his original starting position in the defensive formation. Then, of course, the play in question where he was completely out of position. We got real lucky that those two plays didn't bite us in the end.

Jason Allen got picked on all day. Back shoulder throws on 3 or 4 occasions. Im glad he was able to get over the top at the end there though.

Our secondary is still not very good. We will lose a couple games this year bc of it guaranteed.

9. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

Nolan under cut that Near INT. He jumped the route, which shows good vision. And i still don't see how Allen was Picked on all day. he gave up 5 receptions for 67 yards and was thrown at 10 times. all the while Ben threw it 30 times.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

There was a time in the 3rd Qtr where every pass went at whoever Allen was covering. Several were incomplete, no thanks to Allen. Just bad throws by Ben. The catches that were made, Allen had some help on most of those tackles.

If you want to see, go to the Steelers opening drive of the third Qtr.

Don't get me wrong, Allen played a good game, made some plays, but he is not the calbre CB you think he is.

11. jtexas

jtexas Veteran

Re-watching it i agree it was cover 4, but yeah that's what the "safety" is for. No one gets over the top. Like i said in my original post, the exact same thing happened in the Jets game, but this time Allen made an awesome play.

12. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

In other words, at least on this play, Allen had perfect FS position/ coverage. :kitten:

13. TexansSeminole

I think we all have figured out by now that you are legally blind.

Moving on.

14. Rey

Rey Guest

Allen was credited for 6 solos.

That said, he is not a very good tackler.

15. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

Nolan also got beat on a would be TD if Ben would have made a half decent throw.

16. TexansSeminole

Yes, I remember that.

It was pitch and catch, Ben just missed him.

Overall, KJ looks like our best option at #2 right now IMO and that's scary. Even if you lean toward JA, its the same situation. We desperately need TWO corners to step up.

We have really lucked out on our schedule this year. Go take a look at it and tell me how many good passing teams you see. There are only a few. You've got the elite Saints, but then who? Bucs? Ravens? Carolina? Atlanta?

This is the perfect year for these young corners to gain some confidence.

17. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Damn. I wonder how Aso, Samuels and Rodgers-Cromartie and company did this past weekend. Scheme has as much, or more, to do with success as talent does at CB/S in the NFL. That's a chit-pot full of $$ for a "dream team" 1-3 secondary. My point is that the coaches need to recognize where the secondary's talents lie and adjust accordingly.

18. GP

GP Go Texans!

He should have just batted that ball instead of trying to catch it. Reckless stunt.

19. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I worry about you.

Kimmy likes this.
  20. Rey

Rey Guest

Right, but much like Jason Allen he has shown the ability to make plays and get his hands on balls.

Everyone in the league gets beat. Some more than others.

But I'm willing to watch Allen or Nolan get beat if they can make plays in between. By biggest issue with Kareem is that he doesn't make impact plays. Him getting beat doesn't bother me nearly as much as him rarely making plays on the ball.

But Kareem is a good tackler and he's physical. He does have some talent, but at this point I think he should split time with Allen at a minimum.