James Casey as a WR

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by alphajoker, Jan 27, 2012.

1. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

I just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are regarding James Casey as a WR. Not necessarily as our #2 or 3 but as least get the chance to compete with Jacoby and Walter for a WR spot. Casey has great hands, I believe runs good routes and is big enough to free himself off the line of scrimmage if pressed. I'm just not sure of how fast he is. Garrett Graham could become the #3 TE if they can resign Dreesen. Thoughts?

2. HPDSgtJDS

HPDSgtJDS Rookie

I personally think James is the most under utilized player on the team.... Heck, maybe in the NFL... On most teams he would be a solid starter at WR.... His hands are amazing and he's a workhorse of the highest order. I think one of the reasons he struggled with injury this year is having to quickly bulk up during the off season to play FB, which is a waste of his true talent. On top of that he's a family man and a great example off the field as well.... If the Texans don't seriously sweeten his contract I hope he goes somewhere where his talents are appreciated in both playing time and money. IMHO

3. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Why not just let Dreesen walk and expect Casey to fill his shoes? As an H-back, he covered pretty much everything but QB this year. He split out wide, he blocked, he even ran a few carries....why not let him do that, be a matchup nightmare or fill the role he was drafted for? JC as a fulltime WR is a square peg in a round hole.

4. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

He's a much better mismatch against defenses at the TE spot. Too fast for a LB to cover and too big for a safety. That said, he could be split out wide occassionally, I just don't see him as true WR.

I like the idea of wheel routes from the FB position as well, again another matchup nightmare.

5. BrandonLwowski

BrandonLwowski Veteran

What we need to do is use him just like the patriots use arron hernandez. To me they are built almost excatly the same. Use him in the passing game. Line him up outwide, at tightend, fullback, runningback. Make him a mismatch in the passing game and even throw off the balance by letting him run the ball. James Casey = Aaron Hernandez

6. clutch

clutch Rookie

Don't be surprised if casey isn't on the team next season...I wouldn't..

7. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

I would be surprised if he's not on the team next year. He's under contract and isn't too expensive. I see him stepping in nicely if they don't bring Dreessen back.

8. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Yea we're going to cut him along with Cushing and Barwin.... :mcnugget:

JCTexan likes this.
  9. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

[​IMG]

10. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

I totally agree with you there. I don't think he got on the field enough when he was healthy.

That's pretty much my reasoning for coming up with the idea. I guess don't label Casey as a WR, but I believe he needs to be on the field more where
    he is lined up in the slot, outwide or even coming out of the back field.

11. Blake

Blake MMQB

lol - Casey will be on the team next season. And I also feel that they will play him more as a WR/TE than the halfback spot that he got banged around in. I think he would be a tough guard for a nickel corner. And too fast for some of those linebackers. The age of the TE is here. And we will be ready.

12. machineo

machineo Rookie

I'd also rather keep him closer to the middle than out wide. He's not a speed mismatch against CBs and Thor's height advantage is negated because Kubiak doesn't seem to promote throwing jump balls or 50-50 balls. He wants the routes to take care of guys getting open.

So if he's FB or the 2nd TE in a jumbo set, and constantly in motion before every play, that will only emphasize the unpredictability of a balanced offense.

13. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

He's not a wr. He also didn't impress me much last season and it would NOT shock me to see him NOT make the team next season. He doesn't have the yac ability I thought he would have or the running back skills.

14. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Based on what reason(s)?

Vickers' dominant performance?

15. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

As funny as it may be, your signature's too big.

16. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

With a 4.8 40 yard dash, Casey is 2 tenths off the slowest WR times. He'd have to run amazing routes & have great leap/reach/hands to even be considered at WR. Not happening.

17. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Casey didn't really do anything all that well last year. He wasn't really a great FB, not a great Hback, not a top TE type...he's just the NFL version of Snyder on the TV sitcom One Day at a Time. He's upgradeable since he's just a utility man at this point. He does a lot of things...but nothing incredibly well.

[​IMG]

18. clutch

clutch Rookie

Exactly..there is one thing vickers does better than casey..and it is the only thing that's matters on this team...... that's run blocking..everything else casey does is mediocre and irellavent..

19. HPDSgtJDS

HPDSgtJDS Rookie

I dunno.... Watching James and watching Vickers, I never saw any appreciable difference in their blocking ability.... And I actually though Vickers missed more blocks with his increased playing time near the end of the season. I'm just as happy to let Vickers have HB, as having a player of James' versatility and ability in that position is a huge waste.

If they keep Dreesen, I'd rather the team allow him to get traded where he can further his career more effectively. Say what you will about him, but the more they expect out of him the more he will rise to the occasion.

But I'd hate to see a hometown hero go somewhere else...

20. Premier

Premier All Pro

oh god, can we go a day on this forum without someone making the claim that player/coach/corp/depth on the Texans is the most/best in the NFL...