Jamel White and Lamar Gordon

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Bobo, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

According to http:scout.com/2/536023.html the Texans are trying out both White and Gordon. Why the Texans don't just re-sign Wells is beyond me.

2. hadaad

hadaad All Pro

Likely because they feel that Lamar Gordon and Jamel White potentially have more to offer.

3. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I always thought pretty highly of the guy, but the fact that Wells hasn't been picked up by another team speaks for itself.

4. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Veteran

The raiders should get him after waht he did to them 2 years ago

5. cj5776

cj5776 Veteran

I used to agree with you about Wells, the thing I have learned is there is two strikes against Wells. I don't know how true it was but supposedly he rubbed the coaching staff the wrong way complaining about playing time, and was not seen as a good locker room guy. The other thing is he is not what the team is looking for. The texans want either a fourth rb, as long as they can return kicks, or someone who is a fb/rb tweener. The latter used to fit Wells perfectly but in the new offense he does have the quickness to make the cut to block the upfield guy, ie. Micheal Anderson.

6. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

I liked Wells but have heard of no interest in him from other teams...

7. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Is Jamel White the guy that used to play with the Browns and Lamar Gordon with the Dolphins?

8. AFD1717

AFD1717 Veteran

Right. I think Gordon actually played in Philly last year, but I think he had injuries.

9. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

What ever happened to the other thread on this that was up last night? Just curious because it deleted my post...

10. Texan in Japan

Texan in Japan All Pro

11. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

Then I have to wonder about the fact that Ragone was gobbled up by the Bengals with the Colts waiting right behind them. Let us remember what Wells did against the Cardinals when he ran for 88 yards, added two TDS and 33 yards in receptions. The guy has proven himself -- even if no one else has seen it. He has shown he is a good backup as he has filled in well in a pinch.

12. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

I love Wells..I think he is great. But im no football guru (yet), I just like him cause he gets the job done when he is out there on the field.

But its apparent that there is something wrong with his game since no other team has picked him up. I guess the only reason we kept him on the team before is because or past staff drafted him.

13. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

Like I said, if we are going to judge a player based on the fact that others have passed on him, then what about the fact that Ragone was gobbled up by the Bengals with the Colts waiting in line? Does that mean that the current regime might have made an error, heaven forbid? Or how about the fact that Corey Bradford is now sitting at #2 WR on the Lions depth chart? Another mistake, perhaps? Whether a team took Wells or not, the fact of the matter is this: When the Texans needed him to play due to injury last year, Wells stepped up to the plate and helped them win literally half of the team's victories last year. He did his job as a backup very well so I don't see why they didn't just re-sign him. If he complained about PT, I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing, either. After all, do you really want a guy who doesn't care if he plays or not on your team anyway? The fact that he wants to play is a good thing, not a bad thing.

14. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

Since I don't know anything about the wells thing, I'll leave it alone. But, If the Texans had kept both Jabar Gaffney and Corey Bradford, they would be competing with about 3 other receivers for our #3 spot, IMO they have a much better oppurtunity where they ended up instead of competing to be the 3rd or 4th WR on this team, Aren't they both number 2 on there respective teams now? They both could have asked to seek better oppurtunities for them, and I think they found it, Its no secret they aren't fan favorates around here anymore.

15. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

I don't understand why the statement about them not being fan favorites means anything. To say that Bradford and Gaffney would be competing for the third or fourth WR positions if they were still here is like saying Bret Favre would still be a backup if he remained with the same team he was with before going to GB. Sure, Favre had a chance to flourish once he was traded, but the fact is that Favre's previous team made a horrendous mistake in getting rid of him. It may have been good for Favre, but it was horrendous for his previous team. I think it's about time to look seriously at the Texans current regime and ask some hard questions about some of their personnel decisions, especially if you want to take into account how the rest of the NFL is reacting to picking up released Texans such as Ragone, Gaffney and Bradford. Perhaps these teams are seeing things Kubiak is not ... hmmm?

16. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

So, your saying that releasing Bradford and Gaffney was a horrendous mistake? Even if they are successful this year, I doubt anyone here would be kicking themselves because the Texans let them go.

17. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

It very well could be. They could have kept Gaffney for cheap rather than spending all that money on a guy whose #s are dropping and is way past his prime. I simply don't think the Texans gained a thing when they let Gaffney and Bradford go and, as the other NFL teams have shown (if that means anything) they might have taken a step backward. I think Kubiak's personnel moves have been rather puzzling and mystifying at this point, especially regarding Wells, Ragone, Gaffney and Bradford. I will say that I wasn't all that happy with Bradford, but it should be disconcerting when a team grabs your guy and put him ahead of two guys that they burned #1 draft choices on. Perhaps they are seeing something Kubiak isn't.

18. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

Releasing Bradford was the smartest thing ever, because on our team as of now he would deserve to be the #4 WR. He can go have fun with the struggling Lions. Him getting cut was a long time coming.

Now I for one wish we would've resigned Gaffney. I think he would have been a great and perfect #3 behind Moulds and AJ and he even did decent when AJ was out.

19. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

I was no fan of Bradford either. He dropped too many balls. However, I'm not the guy who gets judged for making Texans personnel decisions. That is Kubiak -- and if what other teams do is any judge, then the fact that the Lions took Bradford and immediately put him ahead of both Williams and Rogers -- two guys they burned #1 picks on -- should give us all pause.

20. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

Eh, I think we can diagnose a new illness Pre-Season Fever, a time when NFL fans read too much into things.:ouch: