Jahvid Best

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by stingray, Feb 28, 2010.

1. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

What is the reason that no one is really talking about this guy being a Texan? He ended up running a better time than CJ Spiller. The guy is blazing fast and had pretty much the same numbers in yards and Td's as CJ in college. He did have that severe concussion but the guy is still a playmaker. I think Spiller will be gone by our pick. So can any draft expert here tell me the difference between the two?

2. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

1. The concussion happened in November, so it was somewhat recent. Add in the fact that once a person sustains a concussion the likelihood of subsequent concussions increases exponentially.

2. He is a running back. By definition the position tends to have a short shelf life. Now you have a guy playing running back that has suffered a concussion. That will be a definite red flag. If he was playing at a position like OT or DE where concussions are not as frequent, that would be one thing. But he is playing the position that gets hit numerous times a game.

3. He is not great in pass protection. This is a HUGE component of the Kubiak offense. All backs have to be able to hold onto the ball and pass protect. Best (and Spiller) are not feature backs and I think a first round pick should be able to get on the field and get a lot of snaps. Neither of those two will.

So based on his concussion, the position he plays, and his poor pass protection I say no thanks to Mr. Best.

3. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

What awtysst said. Best is a complimentary player, not a feature RB. Everbody already knew he was fast. What we don't know is if he can pass block or if his body can hold up to NFL hits.

4. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

5. JWarren14

JWarren14 Beer Me

McShay via ESPNInsider:

The last thing we need is another RB who has big durability concerns.

6. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d816e2576&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

7. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

This part scares me off a bit.