Jaguars Release RB Fred Taylor

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by brakos82, Feb 16, 2009.

1. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

The Jaguars have released 11-year veteran running back Fred Taylor on Monday, indicating its desire to get a younger running back, according to a team source who requested anonymity because an official announcement hasn't been made. The Jaguars plan to announce the move today at 1:30 p.m. at Jacksonville Municipal Stadium. Ranked No. 16 on the NFL’s all-time rushing list, Taylor has rushed for 11,271 yards and 62 touchdowns.

Source: Florida Times-Union

2. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

How's his health been?

3. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I have sources confirming the release. Good thing, he tends to do well against us. Hello, Denver; hopefully this opens the door for us to get Selvin Young.

4. Mailman

Mailman Pwned by Hakeem

Fine. He's been mostly healthy for years now.

ETA: He missed the last three games of this season with a thumb injury.

5. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

The truth is Fred Taylor has been nothing less than one of the top running backs of his time. A really great player and a great competitor.

6. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I'd try to sign him to play with Steve Slaton and hold off addressing the "complimentary" running back situation for another season. That is of course assuming he'd be interested in a chance to play Jacksonville twice a season and show them that they let him go a bit too early (and I think they did).

Slaton, Taylor, and Moats is a pretty good backfield by any estimation.

7. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I would like to see the Texans pick up Taylor to be the 10 carry back to supplement Slaton. They also need to draft a young power RB (G. Johnson ) is my choice.

8. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

9. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

I'm ok with this IF we structure the deal such that we're protected if he gets hurt/doesn't play.

Just nervous we'll end up with another hurt back.

10. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

The law of averages says that eventually we're bound to sign one that works out.

11. Mailman

Mailman Pwned by Hakeem

He's only missed five games over the last three seasons. The Fragile Fred label is one of the most undeserved nicknames in the NFL in the last decade.

12. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Ahman Greene was a good running back before he came here, too.

Why did the Jags let him go again? Because of it's "desire to go with younger"? But they already have Marice Jones-Drew for that.

hmmmmm

I think I'll read between the lines . . . and pass.

13. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Hey, it's been a pain to see him lining up on the other side twice a year. I think he's hit the decline but still has the ability to stick it to opposing defenses. I'm fine with him as long as they draft a late-round guy for RB as well. If they're looking at a 3rd or 4th round guy I say pass.

14. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Why the hell would we want Selvin YOung? He can't stay healthy to save his life. He never could even stay healthy in college. I liike Selvin a lot being a UT fan and all, but the last two years he has battled quite a few injuries. He is as injury prone as a player can get. Plus, we already have a good scat back type of runner in Slaton. Young would not be that much different than Slaton, except for the fact that he can't run near as hard.

15. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Ahman Green had 2,015 career carries, but was injured coming into Houston and never healed.

Fred Taylor has 2,428 but I don't think its the same. It's not fair to label every veteran running back we look at as the next Ahman Green.

16. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I love the sound of that backfield as long as all three stay healthy.

17. Texecutioner

My first thought was I'd love to have him back there with Slaton, but why are the Jags getting rid of him now? That spells buyer beware to me. He may have been healthy for the last two to three years and all, but I have a funny thought that tells me he is about to have a ton of injuries now and Jacksonville probably saw the writing on the wall already. I'm not sure that Taylor would be good for the Texans right now.

18. Mailman

Mailman Pwned by Hakeem

I think it probably has more to do with $$$$.

19. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I'd love to get Fred Taylor here. My first thought after that was to Denver though. They could really use a starting RB. I like Hillis a lot but I think if they use him more as FB they could have an all pro FB on their hands. The new HC probably will like to use Hillis' versatility though. And coming from NE, why not pick up an older RB?

Taylor was released because of his contract. He was due to make too much this season for the limited carries he was probably going to get. Saves the Jags $6 million.

20. Texecutioner

You're right that he stayed healthy a bit the last few3 years but right before that he was always getting dinged up.

If the Jags don't even want him, I think they're probably feeling like he can't remain healthy for another season the way he did the last two seasons before this one where he got hurt again. If we could get him for dirt cheap it might not be that bad of an idea, but man with his old age, recent injuries from last year, and wear and tear from so many years, I'm not so sure that I even want the Texans to waste their time taking another chance on a guy at the end of his career like this.