Jags sign Holt

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by HoustonFrog, Apr 18, 2009.

1. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4079600

2. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Better the Jaguars than the Titans

3. mattieuk

mattieuk Site Contributor

The Jags gotta make the move. They've really gotten backed into a corner with their WR options..

4. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

I can't believe Da Bears aren't making a run at him.

5. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I'd like to see them land Bouldin but donno what they could offer them.

6. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

by "them" do you mean the Bears or the Jags?

Vinny likes this.
  7. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Yep, Bouldin would be a better one for the Bears, but I don't think they can swing it. Cutler would be doing cartwheels though if they could snag him.

8. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Really surprised at the overall lack of interest in Holt. Would've thought a few teams that could use his services to get over the top would be vying a bit more like the Eagles, Giants,Panthers or Chargers. I think the Jags might be in hurry to get this done not just because they need to help desperately but because once the draft arrives we might see some trades for other WRS like Edwards and Boldin, then suddenly some teams are going to be left with glaring holes at WR. The interest in Holt should jump if that's the case.

9. Mari-OWNED!

Mari-OWNED! Bucco Bruce

10. Heath Shuler

Heath Shuler worst 2 1st

nfl network says it is a done deal. 3yrs.

11. mattieuk

mattieuk Site Contributor

Wow, nice deal for Holt there. Guess he had a good bargaining position...got a pretty nice wage, and he's gotta be happy with getting 3 years after his worst year since his rookie season...

12. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Crap. Why our division?

13. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

I hope he is Jerry Porter v2.0 - free agent bust! At least when the Jags play the Texans. :texflag:

14. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Yea, the Jags offense will really be on the move this year...:sarcasm:

15. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

What evidence do you have that Tory Holt has been anything but the consummate professional ? Our edge over the jags has always been they had crappy receivers. It means they do not hvae to reach for a reciever....in a fairly deep draft for receivers in round one. Reaching for those two DEs hurt them last year. Hears hopping they are still crippled just enough, and their guards don't get too healthy tooo quickly.

Kinda like the final scene in John Carpenter's the thing...you know something is under the floor.....but you would rather not see what it looks like now.

16. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I think the point was just hoping it doesn't work out for the jags, not a character comparison. Almost $7 mil per year is a big commitment, almost AJ money. I see Holt as still a productive player, but not in that class.

17. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

They haven't always had crappy receivers 3TP. When they've had good receivers they couldn't get the ball to them because they had a crappy QB.

Fortunately for us Jacksonville is where recievers go to die and Holt will be no different. Every old WR thinks they're going to be "Jerry Rice Lite" and go down the road and show the team that let them go what a mistake they made. Most though end up being the full version of Eric Moulds. Holt is 33 years old, slowing down, and going to a team that is snakebit when it comes to the passing game. It's almost like T.O. going to Buffalo. It makes so little sense you just can't not look. It's like a train wreck in slow motion.

Mark my words. Torry Holt has the worst season of his career in Jacksonville this year and then retires.

18. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

PleasebeEricMoulds pleasebeEricMoulds pleasebeEricMoulds pleasebeEric Moulds

You know, towards the end of their careers, the greatest wide receivers tend to be pretty bad. I sure hope that's the case.

As much as I hate to say I like this signing, and I do, they still have to make up for being too full of themselves and getting rid of Marcus Stroud and Mike Peterson. Not to mention, their O-line might still be in shambles.

19. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow Work'n da grill

I imagine his knees are worst then being reported and did not see much in the way of offers. He is only guaranteed $4 mill this season and could be cut after if he does not produce. Jags suck BTW.

20. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

I hope you're right, but to compare Holt to Porter isn't fair. Porter was a simply stupid/desperate signing on the part of the Jags. His whole career was/is nothing more than unrealized potential. Granted, Holt's got a little more wear on the tires, but I think he's got some tread left too (although 3 years for $20 Million might be a tad on the over-optimistic side).

To put it in perspective, Porter was a 30 year old receiver who had fewer than 300 catches when he was signed by the Jags (still does as a matter of fact), had only 30 TD catches, and no post-season honors. Holt has over 850 catches, over 70 TD catches, 7 Pro-Bowl seasons, and 1 All-Pro season.

Holt is unlikely to get to a Pro-Bowl with the Jags or anyone else, but even at 32, he's a better WR than Porter is, ever was, or ever will be.