Jacque Reeves#35 = Disappointing

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Shaft75, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

I hate to neg everyone out and I also know that it's been one game, but I was not impressed with this guy's play. He was out of position a couple of times last night and it seemed like everytime a big gain was made by the Broncos it was on his side. I am almost wanting Faggins out there with the 1's.

He was soooo blocked on the Cutler td, by a ROOKIE wr. I mean come on. I think there was two times he gave up a completion with decent coverage, but it didn't seem like he wanted to try and bat the ball down. He just seems like Faggins part two to me at this point.

I didn't want to post this after the training camp practices, but now that I have seen him play badly in a game situation I feel that I can express my concerns.

2. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

i disagree. i thought he had some positives. did you see the angle faggins took on that backside run? yuk.

3. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

I think I'll let someone play more than a couple of series before crucifying them.

4. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

and he didn't even play that poorly.

5. TK_Gamer

TK_Gamer Hall of Fame

personally I think fletcher will take the job early and molden will take it later so I don't really sweat it.

6. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Reeves is going to win the annual "Matt Stevens" award which goes to the player who gets to bear the largest share of fan anger in the secondary every year. "Petey" Faggins has won it every year since Philip Buchanon left the team but his run will come to an end this year as Jacque Reeves takes his spot (until Antwan Moldon is ready) and becomes the 2008 goat of choice.

He is a very ordinary CB who is at best just a couple of notches higher on the pecking order than Petey. They had to do something though and their options were pretty limited. It's not like they wanted to start the year with Petey or a rookie CB playing opposite of Bennett.

7. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

I was watching the game when I started this thread. I saw his poor play with my own eyes at the game and on film. I encourage you to rewatch the Broncos second drive, when Cutler scored. The dude definitely shouldn't be starting IMO.

8. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Shaft, I wouldn't single out just Reeves. No one person impressed me all that much in the secondary. There were plays made here or there - sure, but I saw a lot of open receivers.

Not going to panic, though. Two weeks of practice and first game so plenty of time to sort things out and get it right.

9. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

Ill give him more time than one preseason game. I dont expect much from him to be honest, but we shall see. If he blows, we got some young talent that can slide right in and not really do any worse, right?

10. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Post of the month.

This is the least experienced group of cornerbacks the Texans have ever run out on the field. Though some show promise, this season could be a brutality on the backend. Of course, we are pretty much used to this since the departure of Glenn for being an old guy.

This secondary is going to get zero calls in their favor. Less than zero against a Manning Colts.

The only hope is that Ray Rhodes sprinkles some magic secondary dust that instantly improves all of the secondary's football IQ.

11. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Bennett + Molden + Reeves + Faggins + Fletcher (he looked good) + (hopefully) Drob eventually

We should be able to find 2 starters in there somewhere

12. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

Reread what I wrote man. I said that I wanted to post this in preseason, BUT I wanted to see him in game action before I, as you put it, crucified him.

Look, I watched him with the Cowgirls, I watched him at practice, and now I have seen some game action. After all of those I never came away thinking that this guy should be our starter. Never.

13. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

He's a tampa II CB. As long as he isn't asked to man up speed, and he's droping off, he'll be ok. it would of been nice in the first round to get Talib & Stewart & Duane Brown....under the circumstances I think they did a superb job of filling four holes with the two original high picks. I've got no regrets and can live with Reeves for half a season.

14. Chance_C

Chance_C Site Contributor

Great post...

15. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

Reeves is not a starting CB on most teams, but when he was signed, it was almost a desperation move. He is a solid CB that won't do anything special and will give up some plays. He isn't worth close to what he is being paid, but as someone (KT? Cak?) pointed out, he has a contract that is friendly to terminate early. I have no problems with him on the team for now. Don't compare any NFL CB to Faggins.

16. A Texan

A Texan Veteran

Actually, what the Texans liked about Reeves was his speed and his proficiency playing in a man defense. They didn't really care that he had problems when he was in a zone with the Cowboys because the Texans dont use zone normally.http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/5924504.html

17. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

I thought he had some good and bad spots in his PT Saturday. He's not Dunta but he's not Petey either so that's an upgrade. I'd like to see more of Molden in the next game, I hope he can have a season similar to Bennet's rookie season. If he can do that all this worry over Reeves starting should be moot.

18. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

And to think that we had one of the best sets of CBs in the NFL 2002-2004 in Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman....

19. kravix

kravix Rookie

Are you talking about the TD run? Look at the film again.. The OLB messed that play up, he bit on the run fake to the right and dropped his outside containment.

Had Reeves droped his man to run down, Cutler probably would have thrown the TD before he hit the line and you would be complaining about piss poor coverage. Once Cutler broke the line and couldnt pass the chances of him not getting in were pretty slim.

20. RED_ROOSTER

RED_ROOSTER Veteran

Yea I didn't much care for him when he was in Dallas, and that's exactly why Dallas traded him... Now he can always improve and I hope he does for the Texans sake...