Jacoby's challenged TD catch...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by kwayshauntay, Sep 21, 2009.

1. kwayshauntay

kwayshauntay Veteran

Was the right call made?

I've heard talk about a similar play that happened in the Raiders game last week in which the play was ruled an incompletion, but didn't see it.

What do the rules say?

2. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i dont know the rulebook so i cant say with certainty but it appeared to me that they got the call correct. the receiver had posession of the ball when he was downed by contact. once his jacoby's knee hit the ground while he had control of the ball, the play was over - whether he rolled or did summersaults afterwards and the ball came loose doesnt matter because once he hit the ground with a knee, elbow, or his body that was it.

3. YellerLotYeller

YellerLotYeller nice marmot

If anything his knee was down at the one yard line...but I'm not complaining.

4. Andrew6

Andrew6 Site Contributor

Jacoby has a knack for screwing up so they probably just felt bad for him.

5. Scooter

Scooter Funky

yes, but the ball was over the goalline.

6. Scooter

Scooter Funky

watching it again, both his knee and elbow hit the ground with posession.

7. YellerLotYeller

YellerLotYeller nice marmot

I'll have to check it out again before I make my final ruling.

8. texansdrummer

texansdrummer Hall of Fame

According to the criteria re: the Raider play.....(as a Texan die-hard), this should NOT have been a TD. The rule is BS....IMO. It's not right to have a different set of rules for a reception in the endzone vs. the rest of the field, much less be able to merely break the plane of the goal line and not be subject to the rules of possession that exist in the EZ. This rule needs to be changed.....amazing that it's been such an issue, seemingly all of a sudden...this season.

9. Grams

Grams Subscribed Contributor

It was a reception before the end zone. Jacoby turned and stretched the ball over the goal line. His knee hit the 1 yard line the ball was over the goal line. Then his elbow hit the ground and he landed on top of the defender then rolled over the defender.

It was not a pass into the endzone. He had clear possession when the ball crossed the endzone and when his knee toughed the ground.

Blake likes this.
  10. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

IMO, he should have been down in the endzone when he hit the ground on his back and kept possession. He lost the ball rolling around right after his upper torso hit the ground. I know that's not the rules, and rules are rules, but that's just how I think the rules ought to be, regardless of end zone or regular field of play.

I guess the refs screwed up and called it right, regardless of the rules, lol.

11. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

That's kind of the way I saw it too.
    Good call.
    ...especially since it went our way
    :D

12. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    It was my understanding that once the ball broke the plane it's a touchdown. Immediately the play is over. He had two hands on the ball with a guy hanging on him, a knee down, an elbow down, a defender downing him all with the ball breaking the plane. I'd have been alright with a ruling that ball was on the half yard line or whatever but this was clearly a catch.

13. Blake

Blake MMQB

This is exactly right. Jacoby caught the ball in the field of play, with possesion, the ball crossed the goal line.

The Raiders game, Murphy caught the ball in the endzone. When that happens you must maintain control of the ball basically until you hand it to the ref. You may not lose it even after your elbow hits, or whatever.

Remember the David Carr goal line play against the Jags when he just reached the ball over the goal line, then had it knocked loose? That is how Jacoby's play was called. Doesnt matter what happens after the ball crossed the goal line for 1/100th of a second.

Case closed. Close the book. The play was called correctly and is no way similar or related to the Raiders endzone catch.

14. 4Texans

4Texans Hall of Fame

I'm sure Fisher has already been on the phone with the League office this morning about this play, and JJ's bobbled punt return / fumble call..........

15. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

Sorry, I saw the aforementioned play. It looked like the ball broke the plane before his knee hit the ground. But what do I know.

16. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

He said on the local radio show that he realized after the fact that they were right... but it's still a silly rule as it is.

17. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

I think having an elbow down counts as 2 feet. When Jacoby's elbow went down the ball had crossed the plain and he maintained posession until he rolled over.

18. kwayshauntay

kwayshauntay Veteran

19. gg no re

gg no re iggnorent

I think the correct ruling is that any and all obscure rules that are in the rulebook are to be applied to the detriment of the Raiders.

20. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I ain't going to lie. I was expecting the play to be over ruled. I did notice the knee down after watching the replay, but they never showed a view from the goal line so I wasn't sure.

I was wrong, my wife was right. Ugh!