Jacoby on the trading block?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by m5kwatts, Sep 6, 2009.

1. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sunday-at-the-Post-3356.html

After his play this preseason I'm a bit surprised, he seems to be making the strides expected of him... he's made some big time plays and tough catches and is starting to break off some good routes as well.. of course this could be Lombardi BS too

2. texanskan

texanskan Veteran

Bob Allen was saying they were trying to move him but I would hold on to him. Jacoby seems like he is getting his act together.

3. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I think it shows they really didn't want to carry 6 receivers and Martinez contributed too much to cut

4. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I think it shows that the FO and coaching staff doesn't hold as high of a opinion of Jacoby Jones that some posters on this board do and since there were no takers what so ever on the trade offer.......apparently nobody else around the league does either.

5. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

They were probably looking to move him for a DT or S

6. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Trade JJ asap!

Sincerely,
    Malloys ticker

7. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

If the FO and coaching staff has such a low opinion on him how come they didn't settle on a 7th round pick or just release him?

8. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

They may have a very good opinion of him, but.............a very good (established ) DT may carry a very hefty price tag.

9. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Because he still has value to the team. (more value than a 7th rounder) However you have people on this board that think he's our 2nd (or even 3rd) best receiver....that simply isn't the case. Right now as far as "strictly receiving" goes (route running, ect.) he could even be behind the guy they found a spot for......Glenn Martinez, but Jacoby is one of the best punt returners so he has value there.

10. hookinreds

hookinreds Hall of Fame

I liked what I saw out of Martinez as well. My buddy is a Bronco fan so I had seen him a number of times in the past and thought he had the talent to help a team. JJ's has improved his WR skills and maybe the FO was thinking someone might have noticed. There are teams out there that need WRs in a bad way, just maybe not with something that we wanted in return.

11. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

If true then this is the Texans way of cutting loose of a failed experiment. It's being held together by scotch tape right now with all his preseason glory. We need to get him traded off before another punter takes his confidence (c'mon now let's be honest manhood should be the word) away again.

12. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Jacoby made more plays as a receiver in PS than Martinez and he made bigger plays... With a vertical passing game like we have its good to have depth as far as receivers with speed... the 2 Andre's and Jacoby are probably the best 3 vertical receiving combination in the league

Thats not to say I don't like Martinez though... I'm completely comfortable with him in there running routes, I like his ability and his special teams prowess is what makes him most valuable to the team

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  13. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Martinez was better that Jones and deserves the roster spot. The only time Jacoby has shown any development and improvement was this years preseason when he knew his butt was on the chopping block. I don't want a player who collects a pay check and only plays well when his jobs on the line. As for the trade throw in Chaun Thompson as well to sweeten the deal and then pluck Marcus Freeman from the waiver wire. We'd improve vastly at 2 spots at the same time. As long as the trade is for a DT or SS, I'm all for it.

14. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Glenn Martinez was much more consistent throughout training camp and he runs MUCH crisper routes.....he also does a better job at catching the ball away from his body, whereas Jacoby lets the ball get in on him. Jacoby IS more athletic though and had a hell of a game in the last preseason game, if he can build on that and carry that kind of play over to the games that matter, he'll have no problems

15. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Jacoby has value to this team but our deepest position is WR and he's basically a luxury if Andre Davis or someone else can also return punts.

It doesn't hurt that we shop him around to try to strengthen one of our weaker units (I assume we were looking at DT or safety) in order to increase our chances to make a run at the playoffs this season. Rick Smith's job is to try and improve this team at all times, if it means we've gotta trade our PR to get a better safety or a better DT then I am all for it.

16. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

So what teams are hurting for wide receivers?

And no, don't trade him to a team in our own division where he can come back and bite us in the ass twice a year. Pleeeeeese!

17. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Ravens are only carrying 4 right now and their defenses are usually decent :)

18. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Trevor Pryce, Justin Bannin, heck even Zbikowski would be an upgrade over Ferguson

19. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I don't see the upside of keeping the guy around at this point. He just hasn't performed to his potential. As a matter of fact, he's regressed as a WR and PR.

He's might be a threat to score a touchdown, but first he's got to be able to field a punt.

His receiving skills are suspect as well. Not only has he been passed up by David Anderson, but he's in the process of being passed up by Glenn Martinez.

Cut bait already.

20. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Exactly.
    Usually you've got to give value to receive value, and they have needs at
    DT (and in the DB), while on the other hand they have the luxury of strength and depth at WR.