Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Jacoby Jones

B.J. Sams was an UDFA for the Ravens in 2004.
I read in a book (where the writer got to spend the whole year with the team) about how he never dropped a ball in practice.

Yet he fumbled 5 times during games that season.
The Ravens didn't give up on him.
And he was a pretty good one for them until his injury last year.

I hope JJ turned it around.

I bet this was the same talk going on when Jerry Rice was having his issues. I hope someone tells Jacoby that at some point and tell him that he just has to work to get better at holding on to the ball.

edit: also, i think this talk about D. Anderson is premature. He has to show that he can do this in the regular season on a regular bases. He has to be our Wes Welker so to speak...right now hes only done this against 2nd and 3rd teamers....and anything on the Saints pass defense isnt all that to praise. D. Anderson is exciting and he has been VERY consistent when compared to Jones but i just don't know what hes going to do in the regular season because he plays like this each preseason.

I wish people would Quit trying to compare this kid to Rice . He may be as physically gifted as Rice but he doesnt have the work ethic nor the maturity .

It is a business and how can you run a business when your sales guy is giving your competitor all the leads he has.

I am past hoping he can turn it around.

He has got to step up and handle his business or his days are numbered as a Texan plain and simple.

How can we cut JJ when he is better than Jerry Rice ever was? :jk:

I hope he works it out. He's got plenty of talent. Meanwhile, Davis can keep scoring on kickoff returns twice a game. :)

LMAO @ ttp and his "Kubiak pushed him too far" argument.

If asking a player to return punts and be your # 4 WR is asking too much then they aren't NFL material. No matter how "raw" they are...

I notice you bashed someone because of their age, but maybe you should bring yourself up to speed with the salary cap era.

PS: I stand by my comments earlier in this thread, if he doesn't get this fumbling problem fixed by regular season we should just not suit him up.

and that's probably the way it'll go. he'll make the team and if he doesn't get it together in the next few weeks he WILL be the one who doesn't suit. .... but again, he makes the team.

I wish people would Quit trying to compare this kid to Rice . He may be as physically gifted as Rice but he doesnt have the work ethic nor the maturity .

I wish people would stop taking someones words out of context. I didn't say Jacoby Jones is the next Jerry Rice. I said I hope someone will tell him that Jerry Rice was having the same issues and that the way Jerry got out of it was by working hard to fix the problem.

Basically, someone needs to motivate him by giving him a good role model in Jerry Rice. Since they are in a similar situation.

Anyone notice how much he swings the ball out when he runs after receiving a punt? I would have thought by now that the coaches would have corrected it.

I wish people would stop taking someones words out of context. I didn't say Jacoby Jones is the next Jerry Rice. I said I hope someone will tell him that Jerry Rice was having the same issues and that the way Jerry got out of it was by working hard to fix the problem.

Basically, someone needs to motivate him by giving him a good role model in Jerry Rice. Since they are in a similar situation.

.................or TAKE AWAY his ALLOWANCE.:thinking:

If it was a regular season game we would have kicked the extra point.

So? You gotta make that catch. He's a 2nd year player who is struggling in the preseason, on a team with extraordinary depth at WR. He needed to make that catch not only for his team, but for himself.

Give the kid a break. I remember just two seasons ago, people were talking about how much Andre Johnson drops balls. Jacoby is a RAW talented receiver from a SMALL school in his SECOND season. Look at the game again. Jacoby's HUGE punt return set up that drive in the first place.

Jacoby dropped a pass, which was thrown to the wrong shoulder (should have been thrown to the outside shoulder.) Andre Johnson dropped EVERY ball thrown his way. It happens. The kid is coming around, as coach Kubiak said.

You want him traded to the Titans? Man. Ya'll need to cool it on Jacoby Jones.

So? You gotta make that catch. He's a 2nd year player who is struggling in the preseason, on a team with extraordinary depth at WR. He needed to make that catch not only for his team, but for himself.
They lost some WR depth when Harry went down.

If Jacobe insists on acting like a kid, set him in the corner and make him write 100 times, "I will not fumble, I will hold onto the ball." :foottap:

Could always have him carry around a waterball like the coaches used to do in High School for guys that fumbled...

So college football has just started and I have been reading up on some games because I am in a pool and have to pick the spread for 23 games this weekend. So far I have seen 2 Jacoby Jones (Baylor, Clemson), there isn't really a point to this at all, just thought it was odd. Maybe they stole our JJ's identity?

So college football has just started and I have been reading up on some games because I am in a pool and have to pick the spread for 23 games this weekend. So far I have seen 2 Jacoby Jones (Baylor, Clemson), there isn't really a point to this at all, just thought it was odd. Maybe they stole our JJ's identity?
Now THAT's wierd... :cowboy1:

I'm not sure about all that but what he doesn't seem to have are hands that find, secure & hold onto the football :juggle:

Jacoby Jones will make a believer out of all of us in the near future. I think his troubles in the offseason coupled with his lackluster preseason performance will sink in on him and he will renew his work ethic. His personality just reminds me of someone who hates to be seen as second rate. I'm pulling for him. He has the talent to be something special in this league. I'm pulling for you JJ. Don't let us down.

Jacoby Jones will make a believer out of all of us in the near future. I think his troubles in the offseason coupled with his lackluster preseason performance will sink in on him and he will renew his work ethic. His personality just reminds me of someone who hates to be seen as second rate. I'm pulling for him. He has the talent to be something special in this league. I'm pulling for you JJ. Don't let us down.

I just dont know about that .....

Something I noticed in the TB game , when he took the initial kickoff it looked like he bobbled it a bit .... Second and on the same play he was swinging his arms out to the side much like a sprinter coming out of the blocks.
He did this again on the first catch he made from Sage , after the nifty move to get away from the defender it looked to me that his arms were moving angularly , away from his body which makes it easier for a defender to knock the ball out.

I'm begining to think that this is his natural movement when running and that its going to take a lot of work both mental and physical to break the habit . For him to stick in the NFL ... He's got to fix it.

I just dont know about that .....

Something I noticed in the TB game , when he took the initial kickoff it looked like he bobbled it a bit .... Second and on the same play he was swinging his arms out to the side much like a sprinter coming out of the blocks.
He did this again on the first catch he made from Sage , after the nifty move to get away from the defender it looked to me that his arms were moving angularly , away from his body which makes it easier for a defender to knock the ball out.

I'm begining to think that this is his natural movement when running and that its going to take a lot of work both mental and physical to break the habit . For him to stick in the NFL ... He's got to fix it.

This video certainly reinforces this point.

Back