Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Jacoby Jones

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think he turns into the #2 receiver Kubiak thought he could be when we drafted him out of Lane College.

Yes, I know he's a hated man in Houston, & with good reason. But... I think the Texans made a mistake when they let him go. Jacoby may not have the best hands in the league, he may not be a very good route runner, but he's got speed (you better respect that) & he's a play maker. With the ball in his hands (if he can manage to keep it there) he's electric.

He's going to drop a lot of balls this year, but I don't care about those. It's the ones he manages to catch that are going to make a difference. Just like a CB who gambles & take chances. We overlook the bad plays, the missed tackles, etc... when he intercepts the ball & if he returns one for 6 all is forgiven.

Just wanted to get that out before the season starts. I'm not mad or bitter at the Texans. They made their decision & I supported it when they did. I can't wait for Dj Swearinger to welcome Jj to pain. But I think he's going to have a long career in the NFL as a receiver.

I think he turns into the #2 receiver Kubiak thought he could be when we drafted him out of Lane College.

Yes, I know he's a hated man in Houston, & with good reason. But... I think the Texans made a mistake when they let him go. Jacoby may not have the best hands in the league, he may not be a very good route runner, but he's got speed (you better respect that) & he's a play maker. With the ball in his hands (if he can manage to keep it there) he's electric.

He's going to drop a lot of balls this year, but I don't care about those. It's the ones he manages to catch that are going to make a difference. Just like a CB who gambles & take chances. We overlook the bad plays, the missed tackles, etc... when he intercepts the ball & if he returns one for 6 all is forgiven.

Just wanted to get that out before the season starts. I'm not mad or bitter at the Texans. They made their decision & I supported it when they did. I can't wait for Dj Swearinger to welcome Jj to pain. But I think he's going to have a long career in the NFL as a receiver.

Maybe...

What I see is that he was the same guy last year for the Ravens that he was for the Texans previous years. Until that game in Denver... The only difference is that instead of fumbling the punt away and contributing to a playoff loss, he caught that bomb, and then made 2 great plays in the SB. I think the jury is still out, and inconsistency is his biggest problem. So, I have no idea which Jacoby is going to show up for the Ravens this year, but I think it's more likely that we'll see more of the Texans version.

Well IMO i dont think we will ever have a #2 with Schaub throwing the pig skin around. He looks for # 80, if he isnt open he moves his feet around "looks like he's trying to scramble" but just kinda stays in one spot, and if we're lucky he throws the ball away before he curls up and lays down in the fetile position.

this is why a #2 for us is impossible.

Good luck with that.
no.gif

He still let's the ball get into his body and face mask. He's boom or bust if their ever was one. Unfortunately for us it was more bust less boom. His hands suck, route running sucks, and blocking is mediocre. So no, receiver isn't in his repertoire.

I think he's a better fit in Baltimore because they realize he's more of a #3 guy and don't ask him to be any more than that. I mean, ok maybe #3 isn't the right term but I think that what they ask of him is more in line with his abilities than what the Texans wanted from him and he'll catch just enough of those passes to demand defenses respect (and pull coverage off of other people).

He belongs there. We're better off without him. It's a win-win situation in my opinion.

DeAndre Hopkins > Jacoby Jones

I have no ill-will toward Jacoby, but I'm glad he's not a Texan anymore.

I dunno, he got his shoulder into Jones' numbers and decleated him -- only thing he didn't do was wrap him up. Good clean hit. I give it...

rate-stars-full-3693b424aade1e7c200b15e77e954162.png
rate-stars-half-4cf3c645fbf6ebb5c34c05eee0f2f004.png

And it's really the only time you're allowed to hit a punt returner before the ball gets there. Might as well take advantage of it.

Here's the play. Total bonehead move by Brynden Trawick.

punt2.gif

Balt Exec 1: "Let's give Flacco 20 Mil a year."

Balt Exec 2: "But what about the salary cap?"

Balt Exec 1: "Hey we can get rid of our Bolden, Reed and some guys on defense. Flacco just won us a superbowl singlehandedly!"

Balt Exec 2: "Hold on. If you get rid of Bolden who's he going to throw to?

Balt Exec 1: "The Greatest receiver in the HISTORY of football of course...Jacoby Jones! What could POSSIBLY go wrong!? Hell we'll be back in the Superbowl at the end of next season! We're about to build a DYNASTY!"

hmmmm do u watch the games ? Seen him fall before contact plenty of times.

It's actually smart in certain circumstances. Andre goes down prior to contact pretty often. Sometimes it gets him an extra yard or two and prevents injury. No sense in getting hit or ripped down by two or even three guys when it is not necessary (not fighting for a first down). Running backs and quarterbacks do it too.

Part of being a QB is staying healthy and I would suspect that Schaub knows this better than most.

It's actually smart in certain circumstances. Andre goes down prior to contact pretty often. Sometimes it gets him an extra yard or two and prevents injury. No sense in getting hit or ripped down by two or even three guys when it is not necessary (not fighting for a first down). Running backs and quarterbacks do it too.

Part of being a QB is staying healthy and I would suspect that Schaub knows this better than most.

Agreed. I've seen Brady, Manning, Rodgers, and many other QBs "go fetal" more than once when they realized the play was dead and there was no escape. They take the sack, don't force anything stupid, and then rip the defense a new one on the next play/series. Live to fight another day.

Someone get Kubiak on the batphone....

The Ravens have parted ways with veteran receiver and return man Jacoby Jones.

The team terminated Jones’ contract Wednesday after his three years in Baltimore.

“We thank Jacoby for what he did for us,” Head Coach John Harbaugh said. “He was invaluable to our success. Opponents, especially on special teams, schemed to stop him. What a compliment to him.”

Jones, 30, was primarily used as a returner last season after having a bigger impact in the passing game during his first two years with the Ravens. He caught just nine passes for 131 yards last year. He averaged 30.6 yards per kickoff return and had one kickoff return touchdown last year.

He was scheduled to enter the second season of a three-year deal, and was reportedly set to carry a $3.3 million cap hit....

Baltimore Ravens.com

I don't think Kubiak wants anything to do with Jones. He cut him in Houston, and was stuck with him in Baltimore. And if you notice, Jones was never much a part of Kubiak's offense with the Ravens. Like the article said, Jones was in the offense the first two years, then just 131 yards last year under Kubiak.

I don't think Kubiak wants anything to do with Jones. He cut him in Houston, and was stuck with him in Baltimore. And if you notice, Jones was never much a part of Kubiak's offense with the Ravens. Like the article said, Jones was in the offense the first two years, then just 131 yards last year under Kubiak.

Agreed

Party on Jacoby

Probably, every time Kubiak watched a pass or kick going to him, he relived the drops in Houston............and quickly had to make it to his therapist's couch.
help-this-kid.jpg

I hope his career isn't over. But if it is, I think it's pretty impressive, given where he came from. Hope he didn't waste his money. He's made enough to last most of us a lifetime.

I like JJ- he's a dumbass but a loveable dumbass. Not a bad player, never could develop into a #3 receiver but excelled as a returner.....had a lot of negative plays this year as he was pressing to make plays because he knew he was in a contract year.....

Back