Jacoby Jones... Not a Texan!!!??

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by thunderkyss, May 28, 2010.

1. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

That just wouldn't be right... would it???

2. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I'd like to see JJ stay a Texan, but these days in the NFL (and pro sports in general), never count on a player to stay anywhere forever.

3. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

This was one reason why I thought it would be a good idea to draft a WR in this draft. I didn't think I our depth at WR would hold for so long. We drafted Dorin Dickerson so that was good but I would've loved to see Jordan Shipley over here also.

Hopefully Jacoby makes it happen for us. There's still a side of me that blames our second loss to Jville on him because he didn't know how to make it on time to the team flight. I think this year we will see a more mature Jacoby and he will be the reason a guy like Andre Davis will have to leave.

4. redwhiteANDblue

redwhiteANDblue Color of Texans

5. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

I think Martinez is the odd man out this year. He barely made the team last year, I think it came down to him and another at the end. They may put Dickson on PS for this year and have your WRs

AJ
    Walter
    Jones
    Davis
    Anderson
    Holiday (Special Teams)

but guess we shall see at the end of TC

6. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I thought he was suspended for a game for being late or missing a team meeting?

KW got a 5 year that totals 21 million with 8 of it guaranteed. All things considered that's a pretty cap friendly deal.

For Jones to get a big time contract elsewhere he's going to have to make plays from at best, the 3rd WR slot. While he made big plays last year, he's still inconsistent and will have to prove that he can make big plays on a consistent basis before he can command big money.

I think we'll be able to afford his next contract.

7. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

What if JJ decided he has to buckle down because he has a contract coming up ? If he has to leave , it's on him for deciding to buckle down after they resigned Walter .

8. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I think if Dickson goes on the PS, someone snatches him up so he'll be on the regular roster if he shows anything in camp and pre-season.

9. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Funny because this kind of contradicts todays article....of course he has to live up to the work talked about here. I think he is the 2nd biggest threat on the team when he plays to the his potential

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7025998.html

10. Line_Producer

Line_Producer Party Rocker

That is my kind of chronicle article. It sounds like it was written in a place that has whiskey rivers and gumdrop mountains.

Dan B. likes this.
  11. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Is that place anywhere near Big Rock Candy Mountain?!

12. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I have posted that this should be JJ's year and think he will supplant as #2 WR. The kid is just too good and if he has matured, he could be an AJ type. He will be a Texan as long as he does more than "flash" the skills. I would not be surprised if his stats are mentioned in negotiations with AJ's new uncle er agent. I AM NOT saying he will replace Johnson so don't freak and pm me. WRs and RBs should have a great year.

buddyboy likes this.
  13. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I agree badboy. Jacoby was an unpolished WR coming out of Lane College. That selection indicated we liked his upside, his ability to immediately contribute on special teams and that we were willing to take the time to develop him. I think that's exactly what we've seen.

I think the key here is that we've witnessed his growth during each season here. It sounds like he has or is about to have his head screwed on straight, getting past placing blame on other people and stepping up and taking care of his business. This could be a HUGE year for him and in turn, I think we'll reward him with a contract extension. He's a BIG, FAST receiver and can be an absolute weapon for our team as we advanced into our playoff years.

The key for him is getting the mental aspect down. If he can become an NFL player, he's going to find huge success. All I've seen from him is a kid out of college enjoying playing pro ball. He can't be doing anything off the field to may get him in trouble (being late, banned substances, etc). If JJ had Cushing's love for competition and the game, he'd be a pro bowl WR this season.

14. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

True. I'm not one on here that is known for optimism or being on the Sunshine side of things but his stats for last year and how he ended the season makes him someone that can have a big impact. I'm just saying that if he can take another step he is a hard guy to cover with AJ out there. His talent level is huge with his head on straight...the x factor...same article quote

15. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I think the only numbers AJ and his agent need to mention are his own.

I don't think JJ is physical enough to be considered an AJ type player. I do think however, he more favorable compares to Reggie Wayne with an ability to contribute in the return game. I don't think that's all that bad.

I think JJ is going to make it hard to not go 3 WR sets this year if we get decent protection up front. If JJ steps it up and we get some decent production from our running game. Cushing there or not this offense is going to make it tough for opposing teams period.

16. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Have to disagree with AJ on this one. If JJ has a big year I think the Texans will sign him to a deal like Walter's.

17. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I would have to agree with you. If JJ continues to improve in reliability as per last year's trend, he will be going nowhere. But if JJ slips back to old patterns, he will be also be going nowhere......at least not with the Texans.

18. Rey

Rey Guest

Yeah, I don't think the Texans are in a position where they can afford to let big time playmakers walk. If Jacoby proves himself as a bonafide weapon this year, I think that the Texans would pay the man.

If he doesn't play up to the level expected of him then he won't command as much money anyways.

19. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

He's making third round money. And he likes it here. It's not going to take a whole lot to make the guy happy. End of the first round money with the money up front will Make J.J. a very happy camper. At least it should. Of all the things to worry about, this should be on the bottom of the list for 2011.
    Everyone wants to get paid. But if the man offers you more money than your family has seen in several generations in one lump sum, you do the deal and be happy. At least I would.

20. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Yeah, but your forgetting about that little thing there called an Agent