Jacksonville Slammed

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by infantrycak, Jan 26, 2005.

1. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Link

Now this guy is a tool and basically admits he only wants the super bowl in Miami, New Orleans or San Diego (he also takes a couple shots at Houston), but this is kind of funny.

2. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

thats the funniest thing i ever heard, but whats all this talk about "why a super bowl in houston, what are you thinking ?" we have beautiful city and beautiful stadium !

3. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

Sorry. For me he's way too mean spirited to be funny or entertaining.

4. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 RIP Adam and Alison

I heard that Alltell Stadium is beautiful from what the critics and audiences alike have been saying.

5. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Some of these guys are po'd they aren't getting their annual free trip to the traditional three SB locations and so slam everything else. I do wonder how Jax is going to accomodate the parties etc. that were held here in Houston. There were hundreds of them and I don't think Jax has enough venues. The league needs to get more cities in the rotation, but some cities really aren't set up for something this big--not just the event itself, but all the accompanying events.

6. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I've never been to Jacksonville, but I think it may be a bit on the smallish
    side for the biggest annual sports event in this country. It just doesn't have
    the infrastucture in terms of hotel accomadations, airline connections/airport,
    entertainment facilities, etc.
    Houston of course made a positive impression this past year and we have got
    a lot going for us in our efforts to get a repeat SB in coming years, though
    its hard to compete with SD and South Florida. On the other hand, the last time I was in NO it was a scary place and its probably getting worse all the
    time and they don't really have the facilities/infrastructures that we do.

7. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

One thing is for sure, the Jacksonville Super Bowl will have a much better half-time performance. Paul McCartney for crying out loud!! Houston got stuck with Justin Timberlake and Janet "Nipple" Jackson.

8. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

and the srippers dont forget,,, :hmmm: nevermind my mistake that was just janet :heh: .

ours was entertaining for those people who dont even really like football,,,,streakers, strippers, a nail biting down to the last second game. And now just 1 year later the NFL goes off and does this, lombardi would be ashamed :thud:

9. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

I just hope the people in Jacksonville have as much as we did here in Houston last year. I don't wish them any bad luck or anything. The Super Bowl is a time for celebration and I hope the people there will enjoy it regardless of what some writer says.

10. dan7

dan7 Veteran

Alltell has a lot more seats than Reliant Stadium...and I'm sure NFL politics played some kind of a role in giving Jacksonville their first Super Bowl...

11. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

They had covered about 15,000 seats to prevent the Jags games from being blacked out on local TV because they could not seelout a game and I think Budweiser paid to have those seats uncovered for the Super Bowl. And I am not sure but I think Alltell only has about 3-5,000 more seats than Reliant, I can't remember though.

12. TexanExile

TexanExile A New Hope

The proposed renovations to Pro Player Stadium in Miami (now rechristened "Dolphins Stadium"), when completed, might make Miami an even stronger regular contender for the SB in a few years. Bigger stadium, and probably a retractable roof, too. And it's all being done with private financing, which I appreciate--too bad NFL cities are willing to be financially molested to support a few hundred boutique jobs for a corporate franchise.

The down side is that the Dolphins will STILL probably be trying to convice us that A.J. Feeley can play. Heh.

13. MarleyFan

MarleyFan Veteran

I heard Jacksonville was a nice city!!! Hope everything goes well.

14. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

I actually found the article funny. Of course you have to realize that Tony K. (who wrote that) is your stereotypical New Yorker. He doesn't see the finer things in a place like Houston, Detroit or Minneapolis. I somewhat agree with him. I think they should have the Super Bowl in one of those three sites every other year. I don't think they should have back-to-back "test" cities like Houston and Jacksonville these past two years. There is a decent change that two "test" cities could suck in a row.

Fortunately for us, Houston was considered a success.

15. JustBonee

JustBonee Hall of Fame

I remember when Jim Rome said on his radio show from the SB last year that Houston was so flat that if you stand on a beer can, you can watch your dog run away for three days. ... don't know why that has stuck with me!
    Anyone else remember that?

16. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

Well Houston is a flat city! There's nothing we can do about it and if people don't like it they are welcome to leave anytime.

17. JustBonee

JustBonee Hall of Fame

I just get a kick out of his picturesque language. Thought it was funny.

18. MarleyFan

MarleyFan Veteran

Before I moved to Houston in 1994, someone told me you can roll a bowling ball across Texas.

19. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

If ya drill 6 holes, you have a pretty fair pool table!

20. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

i agree with the article...the superbowl needs to be played in a huge city that can handle the needs of the superbowl...although i think houston did a fine job of that last year...cities like san diego, miami, new orleans, and soon the L.A. franchises are probably best suited for this event...now...cities like detriot, chicago, new york, and san fransico would be nice but they would have to have domed stadiums so that everyone could enjoy the game...and you couldn't have the superbowl clouded with bad weather...but jacksonville come one...there are plenty of better stadiums in the nfl to host this game