Jacksonville being sold to new owner

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Stemp, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Stemp

Stemp Brew Master

I bet the new owner starts listening to the LA offers once he's approved.....

BTW, is this the first non-white owner in NFL?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7...rs-fire-longtime-coach-jack-del-rio-sell-team

2. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

3. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

He's a Pakistani-American, which usually means one is caucasian. So you tell me, are there non-white caucasians ? Now he probably is the first Muslim NFL owner, which I think is pretty cool.

4. FirstTexansFan

FirstTexansFan The Unknown Fan

Looks like Geraldo Rivera to me... :)

5. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Dude, that's a freakin' worthy man-stash right there. Very impressive. :photos:

6. Stemp

Stemp Brew Master

I believe his heritage is 100% pakistani and he is a naturalized citizen, having moved here when he was 16. I don't consider middle eastern lineage to be white anymore than I consider mexican or central/south american lineage to be white.

7. GP

GP Go Texans!

The guy is saying all the right things, to get the franchise.

Weaver is "hoping" that the new owner keeps the franchise in Jax...but Weaver left himself an out when he said (in the story) "...It's hard to write something that forces somebody to say you're going to keep the team here. The only reason I would have ever moved the team is if I couldn't make it sustain itself here and we've been able to do that and there's no reason Shahid won't be able to do that."

Point blank: New owner will move the team to L.A. because he will see that it's not viable to try and survive in the NFL in a town like Jacksonville that isn't going anywhere. L.A. has the populace and history.

Mootini needs to save his trash talking for now...because he's got bigger fish to fry than to squabble with us about anything. He's going to be white-knuckling the very real possibility of waving bye-bye to the JACKSONVILLE Jaguars.

8. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

This sounds absolutely stupid on Weaver's part. Moving the franchise to LA would just about double its value over night. I know it sucks going through the process and all, but I would bet a lot of money he could be making at least $100-200 million more off the team if he would wait about 5 years and move the team before selling. Maybe he doesn't want to go through that but that's a lot of cash to pass up.

9. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

So this purchase was not conditioned upon the franchise remaining in Jacksonville ? Good deal because the NFL really needs a team in LA and JVille just didn't cut the mustard as an NFL city.

10. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

He looks just like a used car salesman.

11. TexanExile

TexanExile A New Hope

Here's an early link to footage from next year's Jacksonville post-draft party, after they once again sign 14 defensive linemen:

Fan reaction

Multi-billionaire owner? Impressive...there goes the money excuse for free agent signings, at least in the minds of Jacksonville die-hards.

In related news, Jacksonville's die-hards were contacted about this story, and all three declined comment.

12. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Or Saddam's long lost brother. :hmmm:

13. ziggy29

ziggy29 Hall of Fame

I obviously don't know the circumstances, but it's possible he doesn't need the extra money and is too loyal to Jacksonville to do that. Let the blood, so to speak, be on someone else's hands.

If that is in fact the case, I would say good for him for not letting the money be his only consideration. Of course, I also think that an owner would want a new stadium (i.e. not the Coliseum or Rose Bowl) before moving back to LA.

14. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Does it mention anywhere how much? Wonder if they'll crank it up more than Bobby Mac had to pay.

15. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Yeah, I could see that, but if I was about to buy the franchise I'm not sure I would want the blood on my hands. Look at the way Crane is being treated for letting the Astros change leagues. If Drayton had done the move before selling the team, Crane wouldn't be the bad guy that has to endure the scorn of the fans. The guy leaving will have little attachment to the team after he sells it anyways.

As far as a stadium is concerned, I believe LA is already in the process of building one. I read something about a year ago that LA had commissioned a new stadium to be built for a future NFL team. I assume they are expecting at least one of the teams to move there in the next couple years. The Jags would make the most sense as the city can't seem to sustain the franchise.

16. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

The round number I saw tossed out there was 'bout 3/4 B.

17. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

I saw an article to a link this morning on twitter that said if the Jags move it could be to St Louis with the Rams moving back to LA.

18. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Yes, $760 million. Which can be somewhat meaningless depending on how it is structured.

19. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

After the way I felt when the Oilers left town, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I hope Jacksonville fans get to keep their team. Besides, what difference to us as Texan fans does it make if the Jags are from Florida or the moon? We still gotta beat them twice a year.

20. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

He paid cash. I kid you not