Jackson Ready To Start

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gary, May 20, 2010.

1. gary

gary Hall of Fame

2. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

3. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Not having anyone established helps alot also

ATXtexanfan likes this.
  4. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Ain't that the truth.

5. CloakNNNdagger

The Crimson Tide players have distinct advantage when it comes to transitioning to the NFL.

6. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

7. CloakNNNdagger

JB,

My only question is how well his coverage skills will stand up for the Texans this year. If I remember, Saban runs a 3-4 defense........one that put a lot of pressure on offenses..........therefore, taking pressure off of their secondary. If we have no better QB pass pressure this year than last......................

8. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I share your concerns Doc, but from the film I have watched he will do better than Dunta in some ways. He will struggle early in others.

The pass rush is a key to it, but I think we did a good job last year in applying pressure but when the qb can find a wide open receiver in under 3 seconds it is going to make everyone look bade. The secondary has to be able to blanket a receiver for 3.5 seconds to give the rush a chance.

I do not think we lost much in that regard when Dunta left. And the rest of our secondary and coaches should be better this year.

9. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

DUDE!!! We should've signed Dunta for what? A mere $ 10,000,000.00+ this year. Too bad Bob is too cheap to pay an average corner that kind of money. :gun:

Play the kid!!

10. Rey

Rey Guest

Just from what my eyes tell me, Jackson looks more natural and smarter in coverage than Robinson did...of course one was going against college prospects and one was going against NFL players..

11. Rey

Rey Guest

Honestly I think that it wouldn't have hurt to have Dunta on the team for one more year...

Dunta, Quinn, and Jackson would have been a nice threesome to throw at teams like the Colts...

If we'd have signed Dunta then Quinn and Jackson could have become more adjusted to the NFL and we could have let Dunta walk after that...

But in the end, both of these guys may end up being better than Dunta covg. wise...I guess we'll see...

12. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

A big part of the problem with Dunta was that Manning and the league knew Dunta better than Dunta knew Manning and the league. I just don't think he has it any more.

13. Rey

Rey Guest

I kinda don't like talking about/evaluating Dunta's game because he's not a Texan anymore, but I guess i talked about Carr for a while after he was gone so....

Anyways, I always felt like Dunta would have been better with a defense that got consistent pressure and forced teams to get it out quick....His athleticism and aggresive style would work well with a team like that I think....It'll be interesting seeing him this yr. as he'll be that much more recovered from the injury...

I do agree with what you're saying though...Coverage wise, Dunta just was not close to being elite...If he had to track a reciever for too long, he normally failed...

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

What impressed me most about Quinn, and to some extent Reeves, was that they got their hands on the ball often. If we can do that consistently, QBs are going to look off receivers they are currently throwing the ball to.

The reason I think so, is because when that CB can get his hands on the ball (or a LB, we haven't had a LB get his hands on the ball as much as Cushing has in a long, long time), the QB is thinking, "that was almost a pick, I better be careful next time." It gets in his head, like Antonio Smith putting a forearm to the helmet of a QB... he's thinking about you for the rest of the game.

I watched the game last weekend on NFL replay, of our first game against Indy last season. Peyton wasn't worried about throwing an interception for most of the game. I know he threw one... but other than that, it was like we had no one in the secondary at all.

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I will agree, another year removed from a bad injury, and a long term deal sewn up, Dunta will play more like that guy that brought the wood on every single play. He may even be worth... sorry, I just can't go there. :kitten:

16. CloakNNNdagger

I believe that we fans (and the Texans) have been so desparate to have a decent CB out there, that we have tended to evaluate Dunta with an exaggerated positive slant.............. an over-valued slant which has found the ear of some "outsiders." It is to be seen, but I would be totally unsurprised if, on his new team, Dunta is unveiled for what he really is today..........simply a serviceable CB...........with a lot of money.

17. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Except he was a guy who didn't want to be here. I have a feeling he dogged it a little last year cause he knew that he would be shown the door. I wouldn't be shocked if he played alot better this year. All he had to do was hang on to ONE INT and he would have been golden.

18. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Didn't you watch the games last year? Do you forget all the third & shorts that DR gave up? He coulde not cover his man for even 2.5 seconds. Constantly giving a 10 yd cushion on 3rd & 4. We got decent pressure last year, but could not cover for the 3 seconds needed.

19. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I'm kinda with Rey. I was in the keep Dunta for another season group. It would not have changed my draft strategy either. Having a good rook CB learn under a decent veteran is very important, IMO. Who do we have to show him the ropes? Reeves? Two 2nd year players?

However, it was obvious Duntas monetary demands weren't close to matching the product he put on the field. I had no problem with him leaving.

20. 2slik4u

2slik4u All Pro

He's a man....he's forty.