Jackson or Quin?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by DerekLee1, Sep 9, 2010.

1. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

All through camp and preseason, the Texans have been lining up Kareem Jackson against the #1 receiver. Will he stay on the #1 receiver in the regular season, or will the more experienced Glover Quin take on the #1 while Jackson moves to the #2?

2. hobie

hobie Site Contributor

Only way to get him ready for the big time is to make him ready for it...Keep him at the #1.. It's a learning process.

3. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

Do you want him "learning" against Reggie Wayne, Santana Moss, and Roy Williams, though? In games that matter? I'd think it smarter to put Quin there and move Jackson back over if he proves to be better than Quin during the regular season.

4. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Jackson remains @ #1 CB & will grade out as better than Quin as a CB. Duane Brown was the LT from day 1 despite given up some QB sacks.

5. hobie

hobie Site Contributor

I hear you, but in order to know if you are good enough to do it, you need to show you can do it.. Shutting down a #2 doesn't prove anything. So I say keep him at the #1. He doesn't have to shut them down, just make them earn their catches. But I would rather he struggle and learn then stay on a #2 and hold court then move him over and find out later that he cannot do it...Out of the fying pan into the fire I say...He also has help over the top with some good hitters... so that also makes it a little easier.

6. scourge

scourge Digression King

Against Roy Williams? Yes, please.

Even that aside, I say keep him at #1. For a cb, to me, you gotta throw him into fire. Covering #2's may help him build confidence early on, but I think they need to take on the best if they want to be the best. Will there be growing pains? Yes, and we'll probably see that this Sunday. I don't think Bush will leave him over there constantly without help from a safety, though.

7. scourge

scourge Digression King

looks like we just said the same thing, more or less. heh

8. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I expect Pollard, Wilson and Ryan to be constantly giving the rook advice.

9. Texas T

Texas T Hall of Fame

I think they should play sides, at least to start.
    That way they'll both be covering whomever comes at them.
    This would allow KJ to get some experience against both #1's and lower.

I haven't seen anyone on this thread say this...just my two cents.
    :texflag:

10. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I thought our CB's played sides of the field rather than sticking with certain receivers. I also thought that Quin moved inside in 3+ WR formations, which is almost exclusively what the Colts run.

11. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

So I guess my question then is whether Jackson was drafted to be the #1 or #2 CB. Quin has proven he is a capable - although not elite - #1. Is Jackson, especially as a rookie, better than GQ?

12. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

They do. We don't have a #1 or #2 CB. Not to me anyways

13. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Santana Moss and Roy Williams? Yes, I'll take those match-ups. Wayne? Not as excited about that match-up but I'll still take it over what's on our roster right now.

14. scourge

scourge Digression King

They changed it. Our #1 will shadow theirs. It won't be all of the time, but we have moved in that direction. It has been posted on the board a few times, not sure which threads.

15. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

In pure coverage? He's looked as good or better than Quin. For staying with the entire play, I give the edge (for now) to Quin.

16. Rey

Rey Guest

Honestly, I don't really care...

I don't think it too much matters one way or the other...Neither one are going to give us a significant advantage over Manning and his passing attack...THey have a lot of good receivers...

Garcon will be on the other side, and at this stage he is probably not too far behind Wayne as far as being a potent receiving target.

Our defense has to be good as a whole if we are going to beat Manning and the Colts.

17. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

That was Dick Smith's defense. Bush had Robinson follow the #1 a good portion of last year. Whether he trusts Jackson to do that or not isn't clear yet.

When did that happen?

Quin was at best an average #2 and played against slot receivers or in short zones a lot of the time. He's going to get Petey'd if they ask him to be a #1.

18. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

There has been nothing to reflect that to this point.

19. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

They did in Dick Smith's defense. But last year in Bush's defense, we started playing #1/#2.

So far this season, it's looked like GQ and KJ may have been playing sides except that they changed up a few times and switched sides. So it looks to me like it's a situational thing and may even be a #1/#2 thing.

In nickel situations, Brice McCain comes in as the #2 CB and GQ moves onto the slot receiver because he's bigger and more physical than McCain. They're bringing GQ on blitzes from that position now.

20. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I guess it was my assumption that Dunta played to the #1 receiver because of circumstance rather than philosophy last season.

I guess we'll see how/if that changes here in the first few weeks.