Jack Lummus: the NFL's hero of Iwo Jima

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Vinny, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

What an incredible story.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_825_Jack_Lummus:_the_NFL's_hero_of_Iwo_Jima.html

FirstTexansFan likes this.
  2. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

Great Read.. Thanks for the post

3. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

Dayum, that's a real man right there! I remember (and enjoy reading) stories about single men who did amazing things on the battlefield. One store is about a soldier whose entire group is wiped out so he mans the machine guns and mows down the entire Japanese assault group on the island.

4. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Good find Vinny.

Tom Landry is another Texas boy who went to war. Interrupted his education at UT to go fly B-17's. Then also played for the Giants.

5. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

You done good Vinny ! Great Story ! Incredible Story ! What a courageos, selfless, heroic young man.
    One of my favorite World War II heroes was actor Jimmy Stewart. The guy was an officer in the Army Air Corpes (the Air Force had officially yet become a seperate branch of the military), who piloted many bombing runs while in Europe. He also volunteered for the combat and then avoided, even shunned the publicity when the war was over . Just 2 more examples of war heros from "the greatest generation", one from the world of pro sports and another from the Hollywood scene.

6. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

yer welcome, I first saw it and had to share...I thought it was a great story in lieu of the awful Sandusky story that is dominating the news today. Its a sad story but it offers a glimpse of the selflessness in mankind to do what is right and help his brother keep moving on for a greater cause.

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I am going to be repetitious here but going to do it anyway. I see lots of pissing and moaning about this generation and the decline of American society and yet young Americans are stepping up when there is a virtual certainty of being sent to war such as Texas Asylum's son, Hou-Tex's son, etc. We shouldn't just grade the pants hanging down folks. We should also look at the proud, well raised, young Americans who are answering the call.

There were drafts for WWII, Korea and Vietnam. Not for our last twenty years of war.