Jabar Gaffney's parting words....

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Tailgate, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

Not sure if this has been posted before or if it belongs in the NFL section?

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/homeNewsDetail.jsp?id=46098

2. el toro

el toro All Pro

Yeah, things sucked under Capers.

3. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

Some of the thing Gaffney said could be preceived as harsh. Sometimes the truth hurts.

I hope Gaffney finds what he is looking for, he is still one of my favorites.

:redtowel:

4. BWPaint

BWPaint Rookie

yea, I remember words my dad told me

"those who want to blame others, are usually the ones that are average players"....

this proves my pops correct.......lets make excuses, not work harder

...typical response of the athelets produced today in our society...

5. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

I read the highlighted parts.

1. The players were at each other's throats at the end of the season last year. It happens in bad years. Im sure Gaffney just had a sour taste in his mouth.. I wouldnt read too deeply into it.

2. I bet it was frustrating. It was frustrating to watch too.

3. He is in a better situation in Philly than he was here in Houston the last 3 seasons. But Ill bet ya dimes to donuts that in a couple years, we are gonna have a better offense than philly (maybe even this next season)

6. AustinJB

AustinJB All Pro

I would agree about most athletes today....but I don't feel like Gaffney was like that.

I don't find anything that he said very hard to believe. Do you? It's all the truth. And I don't see how anyone could say that Gaffney didn't work hard. Everytime he had the chance, he played well. He has very reliable hands and played well as the #1 reciever when AJ was hurt. He was just tired of an offense and team that sucked....can't blame him.

It's too bad that he is leaving now that it all seems to be getting better w/ the new coaching staff, etc.

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Semi-grand Poobah Staff Member

Yeah, because we as fans can piss and moan and pick apart every part of the team but the actual players have no right to even give a factually correct account of how things were--what a loser he is.

8. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

Should be a eye opener for us. However the eagles are filthy rich!

9. el toro

el toro All Pro

That article shows that the Texans have already pulled off the most significant and most needed move of the offseason with the coaching change. Free agency isn't over, the draft is a month away, and already peeps want to throw the new staff under the bus. If this was Detroit, I could understand.

10. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I think his comments are 100% truth, even if he did enjoy saying it a little. Regardless of whether Carr is worth his salt, he has never been protected, except against defenses with no pass rush at all (like in practice, lol).

11. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I have no problem with what he said, it was 100% the truth

12. I go along with everything he said, Carr just didn't have the time and this offense never came together. Add to that that we ran it way too much and were predictable. We just didn't have an offensive line that could shove it down your throat and burn you if you played the run. And we still don't

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I don't understand this..... R you saying Gaffney should have ran faster?? You do understand he is saying the same thing everyone else in America(except maybe the Texans FO) is saying.......... David didn't have a chance to throw the ball, and when he did they didn't have time to run their routes..

I don't understand what the Texans want out of a #2, if Gaffney doesn't fit the mold... Despite the limitations he had to work with, his numbers are almost identicle to the #1 rated reciever in FA(well, before T.O. got in the race). Now we've got an obscure WR, and trying to get another coming off a major injury.............. I'm not following that.

14. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

Gaff is a class guy, and it was a sad thing to see him go, because he would have flourished in Kubiaks offense. Gaffney is the same style player as TJ Housh in Cinci but faster and he just never got the chance to prove it. You realize that he and armstrong even though having bad stats and not tons of balls thrown their way were in the top of the NFL as far as catches for first downs. That is the job of the #2 you make the first downs and be the target over the middle and the #1 gets the touchdowns and credit for his big play ability. Sad to see him go, but I think some combination of Mathis, Armstrong, Rookie, Walter, and possibly Bush will get the job done opposite AJ.

15. CoachJim

CoachJim Veteran

I guess he just really REALLY wanted to play with cousin Lito:homer:

16. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I go along with your remarks SES. And Gaffs comments aren't in any way, shape, or form sour grapes as some, including the Chronicles article tiltle,
    want to imply. Remarks like this from a former player just tend to validate McNairs decision to can Capers and bring in Kubiak.

17. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Jabar kept it professional as he did when he was here. Not being able to see him work in a real passing game stinks, but so is the business.

18. Blake

Blake MMQB

Good luck Gaff. It was good having ya while it lasted. I dont think this program will be anything until at least next year. I feel there will still be alot of old habits that need to be broken, before our QB can run an effective offense.

19. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

I'm letting you off easy by only saying that I disagree with this post. What I'm thinking I'll leave to your imagination.

20. Blake

Blake MMQB

Oh is it? Is that what his official statment was? This article actually lets you know that our QB had zero time to get rid of the ball. I mean Gaff says he was in the Middle of his route and could hear the crowd yell. Do other teams have plays where protection breaks down before the WR's finish their routes?