I've never been critical of Bob McNair, but...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Rey, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Rey

Rey Guest

I was listening to sportsradio 610 and they were playing snippets from an interview he did today...

He basically threw the coaches he fired under the bus saying that they gave bad advice.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but who the hell has the final say over there regarding football decisions?

If I am the manager of a project, sure I listen to what my employees are saying, but ultimately it is me who has to make the final decisions.

He also said that he though Kubiak had a good seeason.

I understand trying to support your head coach, but that is just ridiculous....IMO...

Anyways, Winston is on right now if you guys wanna listen...http://player.radio.com/player/RadioPlayer.php?version=1.2.10477&station=63

2. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

3. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

OK can somebody lay out the rules for coach and owner speak other than "criticize everything Kubiak and McNair do?" They take it on themselves and people *****. Now they answer a direct question about the young secondary and say they made a mistake based on advice of the team's experts on that particular position and that's wrong too. If they made the decision over the advice of the position coaches people would be howling about the owner and an offensive guy overruling their experts.

4. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Has it even come out yet who made the decision to go with nothing, but young inexperienced corners yet? That's all I really care about and I pray it wasn't Kubiak or our G.M., because whoever made that decision does not need to be here.

5. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Kubiak had a "good season"? What a doofus. Seriously. 6-10 is crap, garbage, and this is his standard for "good season"??

All those "almost wons" and $5 gets you a latte at Starbucks.

Comparing this owner and staff with successful franchises reveals fundamental flaws that are not conducive to putting a winning product on the field.

I was a fan of the Oilers and hated Bud Adams, as is the case for many Houston football fans. So it is that we arrive full circle. Our owner is a joke, and those of you not laughing just refuse to see the punchline.

I guess I need to turn in my membership card for the Super Duper Über-Fan Club. I'm just a cynical fan these days.

6. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

The McNair clip said they interviewed several veteran corners but were advised by the position coaches the vets weren't needed and so they went with that. He admitted it was a mistake to do so. So beyond the all responsibility goes to the top position the decision was basically made by the position coaches.

7. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

8. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

I would venture to guess it was Gibbs that made the suggestion to go with young corners. He had done the same thing in KC and had some success in doing so, so I would bet dollars to donuts he told McNair and Kubiak he could do the same thing here and it blew up in his face...

just thinking...

9. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Yeh in a radio interview the reporter asked Gary how he felt about this train wreck of a season and Gary immediately responds "well in dont know about train wreck, we had alot of things go wrong blablabalablabalabla".

Really Gary, really? You dont consider this season a train wreck? This is the guy that is giong to take us to the promise land? :scarygirl:

10. J_R

J_R Hall of Fame

Ha, he was also asked why he didnt make a change in-season at DC. His response: "I didnt think one was necessary then."

And now you think one is? Ha. :smiliepalm:

11. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I think he said it was multiple problems and not just one coach is why Bush wasn't fired in the middle of the season

question is.. who would have been good enough on the staff to bump up in the middle of the season?

12. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Bolded

Starting with the "on the right track comments." Now he is saying that no one complained about the coach last year when he did a god job at 9-7..false. He also said on Bob Allen that the work stoppage had nothing to do with a hire and then said it did. The guy just shouldn't open his mouth. He is like a little kid at the circus oooing and ahhinh about almost wins. Seriously, he is clueless.

This interview floors me

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...r-will-make-kubiak-better?module=HP_headlines

13. Dishman

Dishman Miss Ya Blue

What does it matter? The DC was fired, all else is forgotten now! When have the Texans ever been straight-forward about, well, anything?

ob·fus·cate
       /ˈɒbfəˌskeɪt, ɒbˈfʌskeɪt/ Show Spelled[ob-fuh-skeyt, ob-fuhs-keyt] Show IPA
    –verb (used with object),-cat·ed, -cat·ing.
    to confuse, bewilder, or stupify.
    to make obscure or unclear: to obfuscate a problem with extraneous information.
    to darken.

14. Dishman

Dishman Miss Ya Blue

Hmm, seeing as how we just hired Wade Phillips, maybe he should have just been hired after being fired from Dallas?? I'm not sure I see the downside of having done that. Why bump someone from the existing staff? They should have just cut the cord way-back-when.

15. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

are some of y'all new fans of the Texans or ever listened to a press conference?

save y'all a little trouble.(it has basically been the same thing for 9 years) . as frustrating as it is the Texans are very PC and they really don't say anything bad about anyone ..

early in the season, I was frustrated with the same weekly talk, but late in the season, I have accepted the fact that they aren't going to say anything

16. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I thought so too after a few weeks but that just doesn't happen

the kids gotta have time to learn before they play on gameday

:whip::texanbill:

17. Rey

Rey Guest

He sure didn't mind throwing his ex coaches under the bus at the expense of Kubiak...

I mean really? It's just laughable...really it is...

Kubiak is the head man in charge and he blames the position coaches for the decision to go young???? Really???

LMAOOOOOO!!!

That's like upper management going straight to an assembly line worker and dismissing the fact that he has managers and supervisors over seeing the departments....

Kubiak is ultimately in charge...Who cares if they suggested it.....Kubiak and Crew obviously ok'ed it....

18. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

No, it's more like a manager going to his experts for advice and then following it. It happens in business every day, but whatever...

19. Rey

Rey Guest

How do you draw that comparison?

The assistant coaches are "experts" on what players to keep????

And what is Kubiak?

I'm sorry, but I can't see any credible head coach following his assistants advice and not having a mind of his own...

McNair said they received bad advice from the assistant coaches that they were ok going with the personnel they went with...

I don't think that should matter one bit....Part of being the lead is telling your employees that you appreciate their advice but it's best to go in a different direction. If you decide to follow your employees advice that means you thought it was a pretty good idea too...

If you follow an "experts" advice that usually means you have no clue about the area of their expertise...That's why you would call an expert JB...

But whatever...Kubiak is here for another year, and I will root him on no matter what....I am a Texans fan and will be one until they leave or I die...

20. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

He's right. That's why his SORRY ass is still on the street.