It's Time To Start Antoine Caldwell

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gary, Nov 12, 2009.

1. gary

gary Hall of Fame

And let him grow. Someone on here called Eric Winston overrated and while that may or may not be true he isn't the worst member of the OL by far. This team needs upgrades at LG, RG, and C. That's what is causing the running game suffer as far as yards per carry goes IMO. Watching Chris Myers get blown off the line makes me sick and I am tierd of it. Myers is the biggest problem that is hindering the job of the OL. I know Caldwell is a rookie but the Texans are in the middle of a playoff push and Chris Myers is not helping their cause at all as a matter of fact he's only hurting it. The rook might not be any better but that's what we must see with more reps will he become a proven starting center or not. If not, then the FO will have to continue the search for a new long term center as A.C. was drafted to be. What are your thoughts?

2. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

I kinda got the impression that Caldwell was targeted as a possible takeover for White hopefully here soon. I think the thinking s that the duo of Myers and Caldwell are better than the duo of Caldwell and white?

3. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

If Caldwell can't beat out a total scrub loser like Chris Myers, that makes me really worried about Caldwell.

4. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I am will to try White or A.C. to take the place of Myers he just gets pushed into the back field all too often.

5. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

No time for "growing" until the playoffs are out the window imo

6. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Good post, must spread the rep.

I, admittedly, am no fan of Myers. But, the coaching staff has continually defended the starting status of Myers to a degree that makes no sense. A center's play probably has more effect on an O line's performance as a whole than any other single position. It affects the consistency of both the run and pass play success. With a breakdown of the center play, there is a direct funnel to the RB and the QB, certainly something that we have seen more than enough in critical situations.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  7. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Myers is decent in pass pro and keeps the line in check fairly well. His run blocking is a joke, goalline/power/in space doesn't matter he can't push a guy over to save his life.

8. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

I just have a hard time questioning the decisions made for a unit that is led by Alex Gibbs.

9. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Let's say no playoffs this year then we have not seen if A.C. is the real deal or not. He is going to have to show his skills soon or later. You have younger O lines then Houston who are playing better.

10. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I am a fan of Antoine Caldwell. I think he's going to be a top member of our OL for years to come. I've seen flashes this year where he has shown just how good he can be.

However, he's not there yet. And I think after last year's handling of Duane Brown, the staff feels like they can balance Caldwell's growth the same way. It's perplexing, but in hindsight, the coaches weren't going to replace Myers at any point anyway, I don't think. They find greater value in what he does than we do as fans. And I'm not blind to what Myers does well. On the stretch plays, screens, and tosses, he can get out and do some great blocking at the second level. He moves well. It's just my opinion that these assets don't outweigh his inability to block at the first level. I guess the coaches differ with me on that, so OK. I'm no professional.

Furthermore, with the injuries to the guard position, Caldwell is going to see all his time at guard this year. I expect he'll continue to get better, and next year he'll be a starter on the line.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
    thunderkyss and Kaiser Toro like this.
  11. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

How have you enjoyed our run game thus far?

12. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

I hope they make Caldwell the permanent answer at center. That is what he was originally drafted for and that is where it seems to me that he will fit best over the next 10 years or so.

13. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

Thoughts one and two on why the Texans do not make the change.

14. gary

gary Hall of Fame

This does not have to be a move for A.C. I am game for anyone but if you're happy with Myers getting blown off the LOS then have at it.

15. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Staring one new player should not hurt so much that we miss the playoffs then try White or someone anyone.

16. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

I'm sure Gibbs hasn't enjoyed it either!

17. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I just said it another thread, but may be more appropriate here - I would not mind seeing them work on a goal line package with Caldwell at Center.

18. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

Not at all. Point being, Alex Gibbs resume speaks for itself. Not to mention Slatons decision making has been atrocious compared to last year.

19. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I'd like to see a GL package with AJ and Walter at WR, two TEs lined up to block (Dreesen and Hill), Casey at FB, and Leach at tailback. Imagine the options you'd have from a setup like that.

20. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

Kubes is notorious for not playing his young guys, and regretting it later. See Diles.