Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

It's the RUNNING BACK, STUPID.

Andrew6

All Pro
I say we give up all of our draft picks next year for the Diet Pepsi machine. He could play offensive line and be a running back. He out ran Reggie Bush in the commercial LOL. :user:

maddogmrb

Rookie
I say we go to Costco and pick us up a spare running back. As I said last week, I saw a big muscular guy there who looked pretty fast. You need to pay with cash, check or Amex to shop there, and you also need a membership card.

Tell me your names of all these backs better than Green, and what price you are willing to pay after Game 6 of the season to get a back who hasn't practiced with you.

Personally, I think there are some fundamental issues that the Texans have with their run game other than just the backs. I don't buy the backs, the offensive line, the scheme, or the play calling. I have never been convinced that the Kubiak passing game can work along with the Sherman run game. Show me which regular season game the Texans have had where they work together.
WOW! TC ..... I sense a surprising amount of frustration from you. Remember, back in the offseason (when everyone was calling Rick Smith a genius with his acquisitions) I was commenting that all Rick Smith was doing was signing FA's that nobody else wanted. That's what he should be doing in his sleep. Genius would have been signing one of the high profile FA's when our cap is strapped or making a blockbuster deal. Everything else is just a normal day at the office. I also said that signing below average FA's wasn't going to improve this team ..... just give us more depth of below average talent. I also harped frequently that they needed to be addressing the oline and that Jordon Black WAS NOT a solution. Teams just do not allow quality LT's to walk away like the Chiefs did.

I still believe the team is better overall than last year but we, as fans, need to manage our expectations of this team. We just don't have the talent to be REAL playoff contenders yet.
:fans:

It's as if everybody expected Ahman to come back on his first week and have a 100+ yarder against one of the stoutest run-defenses in the league. He had a bad day, but I wasn't expecting gems Sunday. He'll do better next week. If he doesn't fair better before the bye-week, the Texans should start to wonder why they are still putting money into his game.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
I'm still coming to terms with how truly spoiled we were with Bruce Mathews, Mike Munchak, and Dean Steinkuhler. I just always expected the offensive line to work because it always did.

When Spencer "comes back" he won't have played a down of football in almost two years. Even with as much potential as the man has/had I still can't imagine this turning out good.

We need a LT badly and I guess this makes the 6th year in a row we've said that.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Funny...someone emailed me today and asked me what I thought of the team at this juncture and I made an analogy of combining a Chinese buffet with a Mexican restaurant as I mentioned the Sherman man blocking scheme with Kubiak's zone blocking scheme. Two very popular kinds of food but an awful combination.
You've just crushed my dream of opening the El Ranchero China House buffet and exotic boot emporium. My signature dish was going to be sweet and sour Fajitas with Egg Drop Refried Beans on the side. You sure know how to steal a man's dreams don't you. :bat:

Exithios

Waterboy
WOW! TC ..... I sense a surprising amount of frustration from you. Remember, back in the offseason (when everyone was calling Rick Smith a genius with his acquisitions) I was commenting that all Rick Smith was doing was signing FA's that nobody else wanted. That's what he should be doing in his sleep. Genius would have been signing one of the high profile FA's when our cap is strapped or making a blockbuster deal. Everything else is just a normal day at the office. I also said that signing below average FA's wasn't going to improve this team ..... just give us more depth of below average talent. I also harped frequently that they needed to be addressing the oline and that Jordon Black WAS NOT a solution. Teams just do not allow quality LT's to walk away like the Chiefs did.

I still believe the team is better overall than last year but we, as fans, need to manage our expectations of this team. We just don't have the talent to be REAL playoff contenders yet.
Now that I am thining with a clear head, I agree with what you are saying.

Depth is the building block for future success and I believe Rick Smith has set us up for long term success. I will not label him our saviour but spending what little money we had in the offseason on 2 high profile players would have prolonged our misery and left us on the bottom end of the mediocrity ranks. Next year we "should" be a playoff contender and the following year we can turn our attention to the big game.

I have said alot of stupid and redundant things during this frustrating 4 game stretch but facts are facts and there isn't enough whool to hide it.

My biggest frustration so far has been our depth at running back. Ahman is a big factor when he is healthy but when injured Dayne nor Gado can carry the load well enough to keep us sane.

Are there running backs in FA that are better than Ahman? No, probably not.

Are there running backs on the market better than Dayne and Gado? Every day and twice on Sunday.

My $0.02

3andOUT

Practice Squad
Jeeze. Ahman Green is not going to get it done. He's a good stopgap. Trade for somebody, anybody, tonight. Give away what needs to be given away. If there is a high potential guy available, take a risk.

We have got to have a running back NOW.

Yeah, I know. Best receiver out, 2nd receiver out, other people out, QB "dinged," blah blah.

Comes down to whether you're willing to pay the price to win. If you are, get on the phone and get a RB in here tomorrow.

If you're not, piddle along.

Winning teams are aggressive on and off the field.
You are wrong. It's not Ahman, it's the line. Go back and watch the game again, the line got absolutely no push and created no holes. Ahman can't hit what's not there. McKinney's season ending injury has really hurt the run-blocking and look to see C. White and K. Studdard getting more time (chron.com).

We are going to be in for a long long day on Sunday. Tennessee's front 7 is possibly the best in football. They need to fix whatever is wrong with the line (flanagan)

Vinny

shiny happy fan
I have said alot of stupid and redundant things during this frustrating 4 game stretch....
don't feel like the lone ranger. Herv and I was talking about why we should avoid posting on game day...its a day of the spewage.

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer

I'm not particularly frustrated, rather I'm just talking about stuff the way I see it. I recognize that good players don't grow on trees and are particularly hard to acquire when you are in salary cap hades.

I do have some structural concerns with the way our offensive coaching staff is put together, and don't particularly believe in the defensive coaching staff.

Kubiak has a style and philosophy, and Sherman have a style and philosophy and I never really saw how those meshed together.

The QB, tight ends, and receivers seem to have it going on. Most of those elements are taught the Denver way. They have a specific thing they want to do, they run the routes the precise way, and it gets done.

The running back situation has been the lipstick on a pig. They say that the run game is important, but I don't have faith that they can fix it because it has never really been good since Kubiak has come on board. There's been some games here and there where it has been good, but never at the same time as the passing game. The Sherman/Kubiak stuff seems to be either/or.

The Smith defensive philosophy is something that is baffling to me. When he came in, we were told he was going to run an aggressive 4-3. He had never had a track record of running a defense by himself, so you could not see what a Smith type of defense was suppose to look like. And I think the answer is so far inconsistent.

So, yeah, what we see now on the offensive side of the ball is so much better than it was in the past. The run game aspect of it is a problem.

What we see on the defensive side of the ball doesn't give me much comfort that when some more talent comes into place, it will all be good.

Specnatz

Hall of Fame
We just missed on Michael Bennett again. He went to the Bucs for a 2nd day draft pick.
Tampa is desperate for a running back it is not like they or anyone else really went after this guy in the last 3 years. I am not sure we missed on much.

Mr. White

Retired OLine Coach
Tampa is desperate for a running back it is not like they or anyone else really went after this guy in the last 3 years. I am not sure we missed on much.
The Texans took a run at him before. There were 20+ pages about it in this thread.

He's not a HOF'er, but he's better than the peanut gallery we have backing up Ahman Green right now.

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
Kubiak has a style and philosophy, and Sherman have a style and philosophy and I never really saw how those meshed together.
Why was Kubiak hired ? Because he was a successful OC at Denver, or because he's from Houston and/or an Aggie ? If its because he was a success in Denver, why hire someone besides him to run the offense who uses techinques and schemes which are different than Kubiaks.

TexansLucky13

53d Signal Batt
Funny...someone emailed me today and asked me what I thought of the team at this juncture and I made an analogy of combining a Chinese buffet with a Mexican restaurant as I mentioned the Sherman man blocking scheme with Kubiak's zone blocking scheme. Two very popular kinds of food but an awful combination.
I disagree. At lunch time at work, my girl will grab some Ninfa's and I will get some Orange Chicken and rice. We then proceed to mix and grub. It's all good.

Anyways, I agree with your original statement, but not your analogy.

:tease:

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Anyways, I agree with your original statement, but not your analogy.

:tease:
Asians don't tend to eat cheese...perhaps it's a good thing for you to combine cheese and fish or cheese and stir fry...but it's really not appetizing to me. Mexican and Italian works...but not Asian food and cheese based cuisine.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
I am probably wrong on this, but. There are two schools of thought on ZBS. There is the old school Jimmy Johnson Dallas Cowboy version, the Power Zone. In it you use big guys that block and area, it has been around a long time. (BTW TC knows this but many do not, ZBS only refers to the run blocking). The big guys are also usually good pass blockers due to there size. This is the type blocking system Sherman employs.

Along comes Alex Gibbs and he makes an adjustment to the run game. Go smaller quicker guys, use misdirection, and chop blocking to create backside lanes. The problem with the smaller linemen is they are not as good at pass blocking in the traditional way. Their offense needs play action and role outs to keep the QB alive. Denver is not a good come from behind team, and that is not only because of the lose of Elway.

Kubiak was trained to get an early lead by using play action and role outs to get that 1st half lead, and then going into run the ball to shorten the game mode. The Denver air helps with the wearing down of opponents, BTW Atlanta is the second highest elevation in the league at 1050. The smaller, adjusted to the elevation guys are able to establish the 2nd half running game, and wear the other team out.

IMO you can run both types of running games with the correct guys. Flanagan is not able to run black anymore, and the OC does not want to tell his former college player that. When McKinney was in there (and this kills me to admit) the running game looked good. Without him... Also when did the run game start to click last year? When McKinney took over the center position. He along with Weary and Pitts are an athletic middle with size and strength, that can run both types of ZBS systems.
There's the post of the month. Nice job.

I think it's simply Kubes is not micro managing. We haven't run a true Denver ZBS in awhile. Sherman's responsiblity is the offense and ultimaltly the offensive line. I think they haven't had enough hoses to put sherman's head on the chopping block. Will Say he mised bad on Flanagan's capablities at this age. I disagree with your & vinniy' assement of the og's. I think they are plodders and do a very poor job of blocking on the run. Pitts is bear pulling around and coming on the trap block on the right side. That play also hides Winston's weaknesses. He can play angles on guys and crash in and seal the trash coming from the middle. However, they have all been train wrecks tring to execute bolcks in the open feild. And in particularly on the screen plays.
After watching the whiffs for a third of the season you gotta figgure they can NOT do it. No they aren't athletic enough. One of the little dramas that will take place this off season is which way Kubes takes his offenive line for '08. It begins this Sunday.

And RB Crowd, package all of the '08 picks move up and go get McFaddin. I'll tell you what you will get if you iggnore the o-line one more year. Another patch job and more sputtering and stumbling. A far as spending the '08 draft picks on Turner the burner...deadline is gone. You can get him now for the hundered dollar waiver price.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Most people who know what they are talking about will tell you that Pitts and Weary have pretty darn good feet.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
Most people who know what they are talking about will tell you that Pitts and Weary have pretty darn good feet.
The eye in the sky do not lie. Not in the open feild tring to execute blocks. And that there thingy is 25 % of the GB power running game. That is what amen was brought in to do. And our athletic lineman can not do it.

Nighthawk

Rookie
Are there running backs in FA that are better than Ahman? No, probably not.

Are there running backs on the market better than Dayne and Gado? Every day and twice on Sunday.

Yes, yes, and double yes. This is what I've been trying to say. We need a 2nd string RB better than Gado/Dayne and we need him NOW if we're to have any kind of season at all.

Green is going to go down again. That's why we should have traded today for Somebody Somebody. Tatum Bell, fumble-prone as he may be, is light years ahead of Dayne and Gado. And didn't he play is a system something like ours?

R

real

The eye in the sky do not lie. Not in the open feild tring to execute blocks. And that there thingy is 25 % of the GB power running game.
The open field or the second level ?

If you're asking your linemen to consistently make blocks in the "open field" that there thingy is called a schematic flaw...

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I don't think there's a power struggle here.
Unless both Sherman and Kubiak are too polite that they mask something much deeper.
Otherwise, I think they work just fine together.

The result is not there yet. We are not functioning as a cohesive unit in run blocking maybe half of the time, or a third of the time.
But there were other factors that hinder the running game, IMO.

TEs, FBs at times did not do as well they should.
The RBs were hesitant to make the optional cut back when available.
The QB and the RBs are not in tune on the handoff (this has been better).
The coaches' insistence to run right into the meat of the D (at times).
On top of the players getting use to different blocking schemes.

A little here, a little there.
I believe they will get better at it with more reps.

maddogmrb

Rookie
I'm not particularly frustrated, rather I'm just talking about stuff the way I see it. I recognize that good players don't grow on trees and are particularly hard to acquire when you are in salary cap hades.

I do have some structural concerns with the way our offensive coaching staff is put together, and don't particularly believe in the defensive coaching staff.

The QB, tight ends, and receivers seem to have it going on. Most of those elements are taught the Denver way. They have a specific thing they want to do, they run the routes the precise way, and it gets done.

The running back situation has been the lipstick on a pig. They say that the run game is important, but I don't have faith that they can fix it because it has never really been good since Kubiak has come on board. There's been some games here and there where it has been good, but never at the same time as the passing game. The Sherman/Kubiak stuff seems to be either/or.

The Smith defensive philosophy is something that is baffling to me. When he came in, we were told he was going to run an aggressive 4-3. He had never had a track record of running a defense by himself, so you could not see what a Smith type of defense was suppose to look like. And I think the answer is so far inconsistent.

So, yeah, what we see now on the offensive side of the ball is so much better than it was in the past. The run game aspect of it is a problem.

What we see on the defensive side of the ball doesn't give me much comfort that when some more talent comes into place, it will all be good.

Obviously, you are closer to the team than I am and it appears we have multiple problems as follows:

1) Lack of talent in the oline, RB, secondary, and OLB. Surely, this is not also the case for the dline, is it?

2) Coaching that is inconsistent at best. Too me, we are much too passive on both sides of the ball. Our game plans on both sides of the ball appear to be "herky-jerky" with no identity or consistency. I am becoming more and more convinced that Sherman and Richard Smith need to go. Jury is still way out on Kubes, too. Kubes needs to reel in his coaches and establish his philosophies and, if the others don't jump on board, they need to go over board. Kubes is supposed to be an offensive genius and we've seen nothing close to that at all.

3) Rick Smith, the GM. I guess the jury is still out on him, too. But, I guess we should give him another year. Kinda hard to judge him with the inconsistent coaching we have.

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
Wonder what Marion Barber would be worth to the Texans ? No doubt he's worth a third-rounder, but would that bring him ? Since we don't have a second, we'd have to probably bundle the third with another pick, a second day pick.
Of course this is idle speculation on my part, because I doubt the Cowboys would consider parting with him for anything less than a deal with a fat premium. He was really impressive Sunday though. While the rest of his team was getting their collective butts kicked, he was the kickor. Guy runs hard, and is only 24.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Wonder what Marion Barber would be worth to the Texans ? No doubt he's worth a third-rounder, but would that bring him ? Since we don't have a second, we'd have to probably bundle the third with another pick, a second day pick.
Of course this is idle speculation on my part, because I doubt the Cowboys would consider parting with him for anything less than a deal with a fat premium. He was really impressive Sunday though. While the rest of his team was getting their collective butts kicked, he was the kickor. Guy runs hard, and is only 24.
no way the cowboys would trade their best back in a year where they have one of the best shots of any NFC team of making the playoffs....This is a madden video game trade.

Goldensilence

hipster elite

Post of the month far as i am concerned.

:texflag:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Without the cut blocks, which the Texans coaches aren't teaching, the Bronco style isn't going to fly here. Instead of the cut block, the Texans try to keep the backside DE honest by running a WR around on a reverse fake. That's not working.

I don't think the Texans would have a chance at a running game without Sherman's power running plays. And the backs they have are more suited to a power style. Until the Texans find the right combination of RBs and linemen to run the Bronco scheme, they should just stick with Sherman's scheme.

I agree that Richard (don't call me Rick) Smith's defensive philosophy is indecipherable. He's from the Glanville coaching tree (more like a twig), so one would think that he's a devotee of the blitz. But, he's rarely drawn up a blitz that catches the opposition off guard. Maybe he doesn't have the talent to fully utilize his scheme (whatever that is), but a good coach takes what he has and makes it work.

Nighthawk

Rookie
For them as is interested, here's the NFL.COM comparison of Tatum Bell (who we could have had for a song yesterday) and our own top-of-the-line RB, Ahman Green. It's pretty interesting.

This is the link to Tatum Bell on NFL.COM.

http://www.nfl.com/players/tatumbell...e?id=BEL598152

His lowest APC for the last 4 years is 4.1 yds. In 2006 he was the Broncos main RB with over a thousand and an avg of 4.4 or something. Was he hurt or something thereafter?

In any case, if he's "garbage," as Vinny said on the other board, then everybody we got except Green is what? Mulch?

Here are Green's stats if you want to compare.

http://www.nfl.com/players/ahmangree...e?id=GRE035797

Vinny

shiny happy fan
For them as is interested, here's the NFL.COM comparison of Tatum Bell (who we could have had for a song yesterday) and our own top-of-the-line RB, Ahman Green. It's pretty interesting.

This is the link to Tatum Bell on NFL.COM.

http://www.nfl.com/players/tatumbell...e?id=BEL598152

His lowest APC for the last 4 years is 4.1 yds. In 2006 he was the Broncos main RB with over a thousand and an avg of 4.4 or something. Was he hurt or something thereafter?

In any case, if he's "garbage," as Vinny said on the other board, then everybody we got except Green is what? Mulch?

Here are Green's stats if you want to compare.

http://www.nfl.com/players/ahmangree...e?id=GRE035797
He's a straight line runner with no wiggle...he has a hard time making people miss and there is a reason that the Broncos gave up on him and a reason he was shopped around after the Lions found out that Mike Martz has a tendency to find guys like Trung Candidate and think they are decent backs, only to find out later that they are just fast guys.

Nighthawk

Rookie
Tatum Bell? lol

That was a joke, right?
His stats are better than Green's and they aren't some yokel's opinion, they're earned on the field.

My point is not we should have gotten him at all costs, but that he's as good or better than the best back we have, and we could have had him for a song.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS

Hall of Fame
You ever watch Tatum Bell play or are you just one of those stat whores that base their conclusions off of what the numbers say. He is one of the softest runners in the NFL. He's got no wiggle and falls to the ground the second he makes contact with a defender. He sucks, plain and simple.

Nighthawk

Rookie
You ever watch Tatum Bell play or are you just one of those stat whores that base their conclusions off of what the numbers say. He is one of the softest runners in the NFL. He's got no wiggle and falls to the ground the second he makes contact with a defender. He sucks, plain and simple.
I watched him when he was lighting things up in Denver. If he falls to the ground when touched how come he gets more yards per carry than Green? You can't make a stupid argument like "he's got no wiggle" (duh) when the numbers say he's more productive than your first string guy.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Stat whore....very nice. Not quite as good as an asshat though.:splits:

Brandon420tx

Flounder
I watched him when he was lighting things up in Denver. If he falls to the ground when touched how come he gets more yards per carry than Green? You can't make a stupid argument like "he's got no wiggle" (duh) when the numbers say he's more productive than your first string guy.
If you only want to base players by their numbers, then reggie bush really was jesus in cleats in college, and now he's a decent slot reciever in the NFL... Stats are easily skewed by a few plays. I wonder how many yards Bell got on 3rd and short situations? If its less then 2 then we already got a back who can get that for us. Besides, the trade deadline is over, so unless the Lions flat out release Bell, its a moot point.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS

Hall of Fame
Yea, Tatum Bell was so great in Denver that they just couldn't wait to replace him and did so with undrafted free agent Mike Bell (who by the way is a fullback now). It is painfully obvious you haven't seen him play or else you wouldn't be here making yourself look like a fool trying to fluff this guy.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Why mortgage the future to be a .500 team this year? We are building a team, and short-term solutions to long term needs are not how quality teams do it. It will takes years to undo the problems that Casserly & Capers left us with, and it will take time to build depth and have good players everywhere we need them.

dickieb

Waterboy
There is a whole lot more to running the football that just the RB. If you have great enough run blocking you could turn Ron Dayne into a 100 yd per game rusher. A great running game is more based on the fact of having good run blocking a less on the actual talent of the RB - (especially in Denver's case hense the whole plug & play idea at RB). I think that's why Bell was any good in Denver was due to the OL. There are very few special instances where a RB's skills made him great no matter who was blocking, the major one that comes to mind is Barry Sanders. Those type of RB don't come around very often, and if they get injured - there goes your running game. That's why I think it is more important to have great run blocking and you can plug a decent caliber RB in and still have a good day.

Nighthawk

Rookie
There is a whole lot more to running the football that just the RB. If you have great enough run blocking you could turn Ron Dayne into a 100 yd per game rusher.

i'm guessing some of you guys are the same guys who wanted, in yrs four and five, to "give David a chance to prove himself." Resisting any change, following along and making excuses for ineptitude from coach and GM. Fine with me. And yes, it's a moot point now anyway.

What is not moot is that the team had several chances to get a decent backup RB in here before the trade deadline an elected not to. Twas ever thus.

Silver Oak

All Pro
Why mortgage the future to be a .500 team this year? We are building a team, and short-term solutions to long term needs are not how quality teams do it. It will takes years to undo the problems that Casserly & Capers left us with, and it will take time to build depth and have good players everywhere we need them.

finally! a post of sound reasoning! :texflag:

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
Hey man, don't you get it! I got my fantasy teams to look after, I ain't got time for this "long term, build a team" crap, and I don't care what quality teams do, and I don't care about the future. I want short term fixes NOW. I want to win NOW. Those draft picks mean absolutely nothing to me. If we have to give them all up during the middle of the season to get Tatum Bell in here, then do it, NOW! I want instant results. Just win baby! NOW!

eriadoc

Texan-American
His stats are better than Green's and they aren't some yokel's opinion, they're earned on the field.

My point is not we should have gotten him at all costs, but that he's as good or better than the best back we have, and we could have had him for a song.
There is a stat that would pretty well answer what you need to know - Yards After Contact. I'm not sure if Stats, Inc. tracks it for the NFL; it might be kind of like TFL for college vs. professional. Anyway, if you can find that stat for Tatum Bell vs. Ahman Green, you might be able to ratchet up the conversation. This offense needs a runner who can break arm tackles and get to the second level, because they're not opening holes the size of trucks.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
i'm guessing some of you guys are the same guys who wanted, in yrs four and five, to "give David a chance to prove himself." Resisting any change, following along and making excuses for ineptitude from coach and GM. Fine with me. And yes, it's a moot point now anyway.

What is not moot is that the team had several chances to get a decent backup RB in here before the trade deadline an elected not to. Twas ever thus.
actually some of us watch football and don't just look at stat sheets. I'm sure you still think the great Bob Gagliano got a bum deal after he never got another job once the Lions stopped using the Run-N-Shoot.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS

Hall of Fame
actually some of us watch football and don't just look at stat sheets. I'm sure you still think the great Bob Gagliano got a bum deal after he never got another job once the Lions stopped using the Run-N-Shoot.

Watch football? Please... Who needs to watch football when I can go to NFL.com to see that Tatum Bell has a higher YPC than Larry Johnson, thus making him a better running back.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pAs6TDLuKgQ

Nighthawk

Rookie
Hey man, I ain't got time for this "long term, build a team" crap, and I don't care what quality teams do, and I don't care about the future. I want short term fixes NOW.
Pal, Bell was available for a 6th rounder. Hardly mortgaging the future. But if it makes you feel better, rage on.

Specnatz

Hall of Fame
Pal, Bell was available for a 6th rounder. Hardly mortgaging the future. But if it makes you feel better, rage on.
Getting crap for a future 6th round pick is still getting crap for a draft pick. Even it is new crap to the team it is still crap, no matter how you want to espin it.