It's Personal: Rick Smith vs Vonta Leach

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by thunderkyss, Oct 16, 2011.

1. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

This makes me sick..

I haven't really seen any of the "ex-player" comments about our F.O. & the ones I've seen I think can generally be taken a couple of different ways. But this is Vonta & he's saying what I felt.. that he wanted to be here. I always felt Vonta knew he was a big part of what was built here & wanted to see the pay off...... he got to the Pro Bowl as a Houston Texans & I thought that meant something to him. Then I read this.......

[​IMG]

I'm very disappointed.

2. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I'm not a fan of Rick Smith, but what he said was basically true. The Texans didn't have the cap room to sign Vonta. That opened the door for Casey, who has played well. No money, and perhaps a better player for replacement? I don't see that as personal. That's just how the NFL works.

3. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Reading Vonta's comments, this sounds about right. I've read several times that Rick Smith is a first class a-hole to deal with in negotiations and that once he makes up his mind there's no changing it regardless if he's right or not. I agree with Vonta's statement about paying alot of players that didn't necessarily deserve it, we've spent alot of money in the wrong places. IMO.

4. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

Leach I think is talking out his ass I remeber seeing him saying he wanted to be the highest paid FB in the league.

5. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Rick Smith is not very good at his job.

This is just another example. I agree some players have been way over paid. The Jacoby Jones re-signing should be grounds for termination alone.

SheTexan likes this.
  6. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

If Vonta really wanted to stay in Houston so badly, he would have understood the financial situation and taken whatever we could have offered. He would have realize we had to pour all the money we had on defense. Sorry, Vonta, but whatever bro.

7. hradhak

hradhak Site Contributor

I wanted him to stay here too, but when they announced Casey as the starter I was suprised. Now I see the possibilities. Casey's an upgrade at a cheaper price. Leach can only block, he'll never have a 100+ receiving game. I dunno if Rick Smith is an a hole when it comes to negotiations, but we as a team made the right decision.

8. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

I am not sure that Rick Smith is really that good at talent evaluation and knowing who to pay, but the place I want a first class jerk is at GM. negoitiations are not for the wishy-washy, and placing a monetary figure on a dude worth and telling him that number is not for the faint of heart

RTP2110 and pbat488 like this.

9. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I agree about the GM jerk thing. But if you burn bridges with agents/players it will bite you in the butt.

It's not really that hard to tell a dude what he's worth.

BTW, I was for letting Leach walk.

10. amazing80

amazing80 Site Contributor

Man that would be hard.

Sorry Vonta, but as well as you block, you were that bad in the pass game. It worked out well for both of us. Good luck and hopefully Cushing and Ryans destroys you this week!

11. fiasco west

fiasco west Hall of Fame

I agree. I love Leach as a player and probably always will but I remember this guy talking about leaving and not being wanted DURING the lockout as if we could do anything about it then.

Methinks that his agent got in his ear and talked him into this bigger contract. Convincing him that Smith was lying and that the Texans don't want him. I think the Texans WANTED Leach sure but when it came to signing Joseph and Manning and resigning some guys then it just couldn't happen.

I guess looking back at it though Jacoby should have been let go...but still I would have spent that money on another WR and not Leach. Nothing against Leach though but he's still just a FB.

12. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

The only thing that would remotely make me OK with a loss today is the fact that Vonta would get the last laugh!! YEP, I'm a huge Vonte fan and felt the TEXANS made a big mistake in letting him go. STUPID thing to do, and today they just might pay the price for such a dumb decision! James Casey has been one of my fav players since he was drafted, but, GUESS WHAT, he's injured!! What's new there?? Vonte gave us 100% all the time, played hurt, and loved being a TEXAN! The man deserved a good contract, Jacoby Jones DID NOT! SOOOO, I think Vonte nailed it when he made that statement. I miss him every Sunday, Pollard too, and today that "kickass" attitude just might be the reason for ANOTHER Texan loss!!

13. drunkcookie

drunkcookie 2 drunk 2 cook

I can agree about Jacoby Jones, but the part in bold I cannot... He wanted too much for a fullback...

I loved Leach here as well, and was sad to see him go, but we needed the money he was demanding for parts elsewhere...

14. Rey

Rey Guest

Cushing is going to blow his ass up today.

I don't miss vonta but I have nothing against him except he's the enemy.

All this contract stuff is just business.

15. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

meh.....it's the era of free agency and has been for a while. We should be used to this sort of stuff by now.

16. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

He's right that we needed him more than Jacoby Jones, but we need(ed) J. Joseph, D. Manning, and a receiver-that-actually-succeeds more than either of them. He might also think he was more important to us than somebody like Owen Daniels, but that's where he's just flat out wrong...

17. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Our offense was better last year.

Maybe thats injuries, maybe thats scheme, maybe thats Leach.

We could score in the red zone. We can't anymore. He's the main thing thats changed.

I thought Casey was an upgrade when I watched him between the 20s.

18. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

The thing is, when you let Vonta go you let some of your toughness walk out the door. You let some of your edge go. If you want to contend for a championship that isn't how you go about getting there.

That happened so we could retain the services of a genuinely worthless player like Jacoby Jones if this report is to be believed. Too often the Texans have spent what they had available to keep or acquire the wrong guys. For years Rick Smith has seemingly thrown money to guys (ours and free agents) at random. McNair never calls him on it. I don't understand it. Look how long we dicked around with Ahman Green. Better options were out there at a fraction of the cost but we kept paying this over the hill veteran to sit on his ass and rehab. That's just one example but any of us could come up with more. The Texans have been foolish when it comes to paying and not paying players.

Leach should still be a Texan right now. Jacoby Jones should be at practice with his Arena team. It wasn't a choice between Leach and Casey. The fact that Vickers is on this team right now tells us that. They aren't mutually exclusive.

19. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

THIS^^^^ He was probably our most durable player in the most repeatedly trauma-exposed position. He certainly wasn't anything close to a wide receiver, but he had soft enough hands when called upon as a safety outlet........AND the Red Sea showed a tendency to part in his presence..........the same Red Sea into which Jacoby Jones and his money has disappeared, never to be seen again.

Knowing Vonta, I will put the "highest paid FB" thing in the mouth of his agent. Which are you apt to believe...........an insistance that "I want to be the highest paid FB" coming from Leach (when it finally came down to negotiations) or ""The deal that was offered to me was disrespectful to me and my family. It was a lesser deal than I just got finished playing for them for." (FYI, from 2006 to 2010, Vonta's salary escalated from ~$750,000 to 1,900,000)?????????...............................I'll pick what's behind door #2.

Jacoby Jones was given a 3-year contract worth $10.5 million, with $3.5 million guaranteed. Vonta signed a 3-year contract with the Ravens worth 11 million, with 6 million guaranteed.

20. amazing80

amazing80 Site Contributor

Everyone is already complaining about our wide outs, had we skipped signing Jones and opted to pay Leach, our wr's would actually be worse right now. They actually did the best thing this time and let him walk. Its a business with a strict salary. We could not afford to pay him what he obviously wanted. Tough break, but welcome to the NFL