Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

"Its only preseason..." A look into the 2005 preseason

gtexan02

Working?
Before everyone puts their shades back on and starts drinking the koolaid again, lets remember that this is only the first game of the preseason. If you look back at the stats from last year, we did pretty well our first two games (against Den and Oak) and then fell hard and fast against tampa and dallas.
http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/HOU/2005/pre

I think preseason is important for setting up that winning attitude and building confidence, but this is only the first game. Look at Carr last year:
Game 1- 1/2 15 yards
Game 2 - 6/8 43 yards 1 td
Game 3 - 7/19 52 yards 2 int
Game 4 - 1/5 4 yards 2 int

scary huh? He finished the preseason with a rating of 23.0 (Ragone had a 124.7 (13/26 265 yards, 3 td, 0 int), but that didn't seem to matter)

PS: Don't be so ecited about the "no sack" stat. Carr was only sacked once in the entire 2005 preseason, for a loss of 0 yards

Sarg01

Veteran
Carr had a perfectly decent quarter. I expected more struggles against a pair of Pro Bowl corners, but that didn't happen. Apart from the dropped snap (which he still converted to a 1st down) I don't see a thing to criticise him for. Were one or two throws off? Sure. Is someone claiming that Peyton, Tom or Brett don't make a couple of bad throws per game?

Folks are too willing to throw guys under the bus. :challenge

mancunian

Old Timer
gtexan02 said:
Before everyone puts their shades back on and starts drinking the koolaid again, lets remember that this is only the first game of the preseason. If you look back at the stats from last year, we did pretty well our first two games (against Den and Oak) and then fell hard and fast against tampa and dallas.

I think preseason is important for setting up that winning attitude and building confidence, but this is only the first game. Look at Carr last year:
Game 1- 1/2 15 yards

scary huh? He finished the preseason with a rating of 23.0 (Ragone had a 124.7 (13/26 265 yards, 3 td, 0 int), but that didn't seem to matter)

PS: Don't be so ecited about the "no sack" stat. Carr was only sacked once in the entire 2005 preseason, for a loss of 0 yards
from what I rememeber our offence stank during all the preseason last year. And wasn't the Denver game the one in which DD couldn't get into the endzone on 4 attempts from 1st and goal?

gtexan02 said:

Game 1- 1/2 15 yards

USC highlight reel. This is the NFL and it PRESEASON. Watch your RB come the real season.

Wolf

100% Texan
[[Gary Kubiak]] said:
It's called momentum and we need it. Gary talks of players believing into the system, beating the chiefs 24-14 can make you believe.

Even our third stringers looked good. :stirpot:
To me that shows that we are gaining depth if our 2nd and 3rd stringers are beating their 2nd and 3rd stringers.. Our starters might not be as good as other starters in certain areas, but this shows we are making strides no :stirpot: just :twocents: