It's all about the marketing

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Marcus, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Just to let you know these guys' heads are really at, and what they realy care about. It ain't about winning. Instead, it's all about money.

Spending the big bucks

2. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

I think the only surprise in that article is that Holly is male.

Looks like the Gallery Furniture Gate will be the "Space Available" Gate next year. I really couldn't care less about Mac and his antics. I'm sure McNair is thrilled.

3. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

I'm sure he is. Nothing like giving the man a legitimate excuse to dig in his heels. And yeah, it's about what you'd expect from a dude named "Holly".

4. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

5. texman8

texman8 Veteran

bye,bye, Mattress Mac....You've been a good guy for the community....I guess Texans will survive.

6. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

And I remember a year ago calling Mac a "Class Guy" for offering to pay the fine Stern threw at Jeff Van Gundy...

People can still surprise you.

7. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

So a sponsor makes a business decision given his experience in his vertical and seeing how the market has reacted to VY and we are killing him for it? Sounds good to me.

By the way Sports Illustarted will have VY on its cover for the 3rd time in 5 months. I would venture to guess that SI sees that VY moves copies, that is called demand and that is what this Texan's sponsor and business man see.

Lock him up and throw away the key.

8. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I bet that had nothing to do with Marketing......... he was just trying to do the right thing.

9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

those issues are obviously for distribution in a 120 mile radius of Houston and Austin........... surely that is not the issue being distributed in New York or LA.

10. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

And why would that be? The US market has decided that they love the Texas brand as of late and that is due to VY. Although Lil' John may have helped a bit as well pushing the brand. Yayahhhhhhhh! Moreover, in my opinion it would be to costly to put out a weekly edition with regional covers.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/04/commentary/column_sportsbiz/sportsbiz/

And Texas' financial might doesn't even factor in the benefits it gets from being one of the top schools in terms of license merchandise sales, much of which is not specifically football related. The Collegiate Licensing Company, which handles brand management and development for about 200 major colleges, puts Texas as No. 1 in terms of licensed merchandise sales, although the service does not have some top schools including USC, Ohio State and UCLA as clients.

11. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

The Texans will lose more fans after this draft, that's almost a given. And if the Cowboys somehow move up to grab Vince they'll lose even more. It's too bad the guy didn't stay for his senior year or he would almost certainly be in a Texan's uniform for 2007.

12. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

:wow: this is what my grandmother would call rude. The whole Bush/Young debate has sunk pretty low in my books. Making fun of a man's name is awfully petty if you ask me.

For the most part, I've been staying out of the debate because, frankly, nothing new was being added. It was the same old, tired, information being written over and over again. But, apparently, the debate has gotten quite personal. Don't we all have better uses for our time?

13. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Ok Jimmy, you wanna pull that kinda bunk I can do the same. You don't want to sponcer the Texans cause they don't draft your golden boy and I will never ever shop at Gallery again, and encourage all Texan fans to do the same. Gallery really isn't all that cheap anymore anyhow. The only reason I even go there is cause they are Houston based.

I will start shopping with the new Mattress Mack. I can't think of his name. He is from La and had the wharehouse that he housed all the Katrina people and has the commercial with the kids, smiles to much and has those crazy glossed over eyes. He is Houston based. I will be more than happy to go somewhere else. I hate getting pressured by the salesmen anyway.

Jim is not all powerfull. He is just a mortal man who has to much money and think people care about what he has to say.

14. tex

tex Veteran

15. Chicagotexan1

Chicagotexan1 Hall of Fame

In a van down by the river next to another van dow
    Matress Mac, stick to being the Cal Worthington of furniture. I'm getting sick of people wanting to take the favorite player available over the best player available. What a foolish mentality.

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

So sorry, I forgot :sarcasm:

It just seemed so obvious to me, but........ then again, it should.

17. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Wonder how old David Carr feels about Mattress Mack and all his VY hubbub. Too mean that seems very rude. Everybody knows that taking him would mean the evetually end of Carrs career in Houston.

edit: Don't you think Mack is kind of a stupid name? :stirpot:

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

OK folks--this thread was heading astray. Everyone back to their corners, keep it clean--no insults, no circumventing the auto-censor, stay on topic, etc. Thanks.

19. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I would respond in kind but I do not understand the sarcasm nor where its author intended it to start and end.

20. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

From what I hear about Mattress Mac and his dealings with the Westside Tennis Club (which he owns), he isn't highly regarded at all by the people. I'll take the Hilton Furniture guy over him. At least he shows his support to the Rockets by coming to every game. :)