It's all about Joppru!!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by DBLR1, Mar 17, 2005.

1. DBLR1

DBLR1 Rookie

If Bennie comes back this season and actually contributes, I believe that he will make an Antonio Gates type impact. I know some of you are going to try and flame me for this but I have heard Charlie say he was ready to play at the end of the season last year but they wanted him to be 100 % healed and ready to go. He is a great TE or they wouldn't of drafted him so early back a couple of years ago. You all just think about if we had him back playing solid with the O. I guess we will see but that is what I am excited about! :woot

2. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

It may be a bit much to say he's going to make an Antonio Gates kind of impact in his first NFL action. Even Antonio Gates didn't make an Antonio Gates kind of impact in his first NFL season. He bursted out this past season, and put himself among the leagues best TEs. Jason Witten played well this past season too, and he spent his rookie year getting used to the NFL. Don't get me wrong I think a healthy Joppru will do wonders for the Texans' offense (especially in the red zone). However, I don't expect him to burst on the stage and become an elite TE right off the bat. I just want him to block when he's supposed to, and to catch the ball and pick up some first downs and maybe a few TD in the redzone. Oh yeah I want him to do one more thing. Stay healthy PLEASE!!!

3. Panther5407

Panther5407 All Pro

I hope your right. I loved drafting him and want him to do very well.

4. infantrycak

infantrycak Lead Moderator Staff Member

If you mean he will come in like Gates did his rookie season, I hope so and I hope people don't flame him for not doing better than 24 rec. 389 yds, 2 TD's--it would be better than all the TE's combined last year. If you mean he is going to come in like Gates did his 2nd year, you are setting the bar way, way too high--Gates just set the all time TE single season TD record.

5. DBLR1

DBLR1 Rookie

#1-needs to stay healthy without a doubt
    #2-he has watched the NFL game from a sideline perspective and sometimes that is very informational to a player, so if payed attention and learned as much as possible from the sideline, I think it will allow him to progress quicker
    #3-the dude has sooo much upside and playing with the guys we put on the field (A.J, D.D, D.C), I think he will leave it all out on the field
    #4-he has something to prove, that is where I think he is really gonna show it

6. Panther5407

Panther5407 All Pro

Hey, let us dream. Just kidding, I don't think he'll that big of an impact but he will be good.

7. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

lord i doubt he'll do as well as Gates, heck i dont know if he'll do anything at all, been a while since he's stepped on the field hasnt it ? could have a lil rust

8. barzilla

barzilla Veteran

We do have to remember that Gates is not a blocker. The best thing he can do is be a legitimate threat AND a blocker. The problem is that when Mark Bruener is in the game the other team KNOWS he is blocking and when Miller was in the game the other team knew he was a recieving threat. Having a tight end that can do both would be nice.

9. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

It would be nice if he can turn into a Todd Heap type player. Hopefully he is somewhere between Anthony Becht and him. We would have a very dangerous offense.

10. Jwwillis

Jwwillis All Pro

It would be nice. Not sure he is ready to be our best blocker and receiver at TE though. Lot-O-Rust! In a year where Carr's protection is key, having Jobbru in as a blocker makes me nervious.

11. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

Next season Joppru will key the key to our offense if we're going to show any improvement at all...If he's healthy, he'd be another safety valve for Carr if he's forced to roll out, and he wouldn't tip the opposition as to what type of play we are going to run, not to mention how much of a boost it would be to have him in red zone situations...

He won't be Heap, Gonzalez, or Gates just yet, but I really like his potential and I could see him getting about 35 receptions and 4 or 5 TDs next year...

12. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

I'm hoping for a Bubba Franks type player.

13. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

im hoping he plays a down :thumbup

14. Rosusu

Rosusu All Pro

Well if we get anything at all it will be better than last season. We got nothing from our TE position last year and it is hurting us. I think I can actually recall every catch by bruener and miller. I cant say the same for any other reciever on our team. If Joppru is healthy and catches a few balls and does his job blocking then we will show improvement at that position. It will also help our O because it wont be obvious that it is a running or passing play. I want to see him succeed!

15. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

I remember that one catch Bruenor made in preseason where he just about dragged the defenders with him while they tried to tackle him.

I had high hopes for him and was pretty disappointed with his production. I dunno if Carr just didnt get it to him.. but more likely he either didnt get open, or was restricted to blocking duties to try to make up for our poor pass blocking

16. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

eh.. this draft sucks at TE.. I honestly wouldnt use a pick on any of them except possibly Matt Jones.

I think we are better off just trying to find a diamond in the rough in the 6th or 7th round.. or trying to pick one up in a hurry through FA.

really though.. we have Gaffney, Armstrong, and DD.. all of them are capable of doing the duties of a receiving TE. So I dont think we will be dead in the water without a good TE.. but i do think we need to try to do something about it by next year if Joppru doesnt step up.

17. outofhnd

outofhnd All Pro

We will prolly draft a TE in the later rounds maybe as hi as our 2nd 3rd round pick. The X factor is how many tight ends will there be in the draft next year? I think we try to find a gem a big body with good hands and then teach him to block.

18. Bayern

Bayern Veteran

Look at that monster!

[​IMG]

19. Bayern

Bayern Veteran

By the way thats Joppru. :rolleyes: I know this is an old pic, but I'm looking at it like he's a rookie this year and I can't wait to see what he can do when he finally gets on the field!

20. cadahnic

cadahnic All Pro

wow. who the hell cares he is not in college anymore. He better show me something on the field or he will be replaced. Luckily he does not have to be that good to be a step up from Billy Miller