Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

It doesn't matter at this point

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
All we can do now is hope for the best with our new QB. This was WAY to expensive to get to this point. Serious mistakes by the Texans got us here. Only a seriously good QB will make it better.

Which is what I'm hoping for.

All we can do now is hope for the best with our new QB. This was WAY to expensive to get to this point. Serious mistakes by the Texans got us here. Only a seriously good QB will make it better.

Which is what I'm hoping for.

I'm with Thorn...this organization is almost comical...pass the mango...

I'm with Thorn...this organization is almost comical...pass the mango...

This situation just reeks of desperation. But, now that it's done, I'm hoping for a few good o-lineman drafted to help protect our new QB. He's going to have a decent receiving corps, a decent RB situation, he has to have a better o-line than we've provided the last few QBs. Otherwise, this isn't going to amount to much.

This situation just reeks of desperation. But, now that it's done, I'm hoping for a few good o-lineman drafted to help protect our new QB. He's going to have a decent receiving corps, a decent RB situation, he has to have a better o-line than we've provided the last few QBs. Otherwise, this isn't going to amount to much.

I'm with you, I pray Watt and the defense aren't wasted on a piss poor offense that can't get the ball in the end zone. I hope Watson works out, I'll gladly eat my crow. But theres been too much money and too many picks tied up in a QB position that hasn't produced as of yet since the asswater signing.

Stupidest ******* team in the league. The Cleveland Browns are now making better decisions than we are. I'm just speechless with disgust over this entire situation.

Blow tens of millions of dollars on a FA QB who sucks.
Pay another team a 2018 2nd round pick to get rid of him.
Trade away the 2018 1st round pick to move up and grab Watson. Basically it feels like we spent two 1's and a 2 to get Watson. That's how it seems to have played out.

Morons.... Morons everywhere in that building.

Last edited:

Hell we won't draft until Saturday next year, might as well trade our 3rd-6th round picks from next year to move up this year and get some crappy O Linemen. That way Rick and the scouting department can just take next year off and hang out in Cabo in April 2018.

Freaking Browns are continuing to pile up more picks man. I wonder if the Browns actually have their crap together, may look back in a decade and Houston may have made Cleveland successful.

Last edited:
Hell we won't draft until Saturday next year, might as well trade are 3rd-6th round picks from next year to move up this year and get some crappy O Linemen. That way Rick and the scouting department can just take next year off and hang out in Cabo in April 2018.

Freaking Browns are continuing to pile up more picks man. I wonder if the Browns actually have their crap together, may look back in a decade and Houston may have made Cleveland successful.

I would actually consider doing that. Just mine the hell out of the spots where this draft is deep and write off the 2018 draft entirely. Just walk away from it. Make your comp picks and bust your ass researching the **** out of the unsigned free agents.

Hell we won't draft until Saturday next year, might as well trade are 3rd-6th round picks from next year to move up this year and get some crappy O Linemen. That way Rick and the scouting department can just take next year off and hang out in Cabo in April 2018.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Cleveland does achieve respectability in the next couple of years. Machine learning and analytics are for real.

Ultimately, is Watson worth giving up a 1st and 2nd round pick? Because that's what happened.

Jesus Christ! There's no satisfying you MF's is there? Had Rick Smith drafted a Safety or DE y'all would be calling for his head. I give him respect for doing what he had to in order to get possibly the best QB in this entire draft.

May the football gods finally bless us...

Cleveland is definitely putting some pieces in place.
I think that human analysts have a hard time with football because the relationships might not be there. But when you release the SVMs on the data, I'm sure it provides some insights.

How about we actually let the QB and team play before we start running around screaming that the sky is falling?

How about we let them play before we anoint Watson the next Tom Brady like some here are doing? Not you personally.

How about we actually let the QB and team play before we start running around screaming that the sky is falling?

Unless he is a 10 year franchise QB it was too high a price to pay. We can wait and see all we want and hope he turns out to be great but two 1st's for a QB in an average draft for QB talent. Slim chance this works out in the end, that's all some of us are saying.

13 spots and a swap for a 1st. Ive seen teams settle for half that.

I was outspoken and bashed due to my opinions on the oz trade. We got dry raped no dinner on that.

Im ok with this trade.

This is an "all in" move for this front office and HC. It either works and they look brilliant, or, McNair finally cleans out the house from GM on down if it's a failure. There is no way that you keep a GM / HC for making this deal if Watson is a bust.

Personally, I'm alright with it. This team desperately needs a QB. They swung and missed last year on the best FA QB available, and now they are finally using a 1st round pick on a QB (first time since 2002).

Watson has some traits that I dig. He's clutch in big situations. You can't teach that. And yeah, he's got warts, but don't they all at this point?

Let's just hope that O'Brien the QB whisperer finally finds his guy. It could be a fun ride, so I'm just going to stay optimistic as a fan until given a reason not to be.

QB's can come from nowhere (rarely) or anywhere in the draft and either succeed or completely flame out. I'm not really addressing the potential for Watson to succeed because admittedly it is certainly there. I think NFL teams burn through QB "opportunities" too fast and now we're going to be sitting between Savage who we don't know enough about and Watson who we will be feeling pressure to get on the field and who we don't know enough about at this level.

Worst of all I can't escape this feeling that Rick Smith keeps flinging QB"s at Bill O'Brien who Bill O'Brien doesn't necessarily want and who he will then fail to get the best out of due to.... who knows? Spite? Frustration? Inability to do so? When I hear that O'Brien doesn't have much if anything to do with this draft I feel like it's a draft doomed to do poorly and that we're about to have some coaching staff turnover and not because of losing seasons but rather because of a toxic front office and a company culture that doesn't address our needs on the field and keeps our coaching staff at a bit of a distance from the real power. Every coach wants to have some of that power and if you got a guy like Rick Smith between your HC and your owner your team is F'd in the A. It's like having Ladd Herzeg as your GM only he doesn't have a Mike Holovak to mine for player scouting info.

Hell we won't draft until Saturday next year, might as well trade our 3rd-6th round picks from next year to move up this year and get some crappy O Linemen. That way Rick and the scouting department can just take next year off and hang out in Cabo in April 2018.

They won 1 game this yr. If they win 3 games next yr, how long do you think they will have jobs? Why do you think patriots gave away a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pick for players like cook, Allen, and easy? Remember how smart it was for the Browns when they traded out instead of drafting Julio Jones? All of them dudes are gone. Y'all are amazing

They won 1 game this yr. If they win 3 games next yr, how long do you think they will have jobs? Why do you think patriots gave away a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pick for players like cook, Allen, and easy? Remember how smart it was for the Browns when they traded out instead of drafting Julio Jones? All of them dudes are gone. Y'all are amazing

I saw a report on the Browns and analytics, and they rely on numbers more than actual film analysis. This is why they took Brock, and they thought they could shop him. Now reports are they are willing to eat $10 million of his 2017 guaranteed salary if a team would take him off their hands. Nobody is interested.

C'mon, it's the freakin' Browns. I'll believe it when I see it before I'd make such grand predictions.

IDK what goes on behind the scenes and I'm not a fan of giving up what we did however...

We have a QB and one that has played with easily our best offensive player. No more excuses we MUST come out of the gates storming!

I saw a report on the Browns and analytics, and they rely on numbers more than actual film analysis. This is why they took Brock, and they thought they could shop him. Now reports are they are willing to eat $10 million of his 2017 guaranteed salary if a team would take him off their hands. Nobody is interested.

C'mon, it's the freakin' Browns. I'll believe it when I see it before I'd make such grand predictions.

Not to derail from this thread but you're absolutely right. I heard 975 talk about this today where the Browns favor guys that are stat leaders in college and they do utilize data analytics when making decisions (not sure how complex the models are).

What they've done tonight is nothing short of amazing. This is how you build for the future IMO and I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns start competing for top defense of the year. Looking forward to what the Browns do from here on out.

They had to spend the money. They bought a second round draft pick. They can throw Brock in the bin, means nothing to them.

Unless he is a 10 year franchise QB it was too high a price to pay. We can wait and see all we want and hope he turns out to be great but two 1st's for a QB in an average draft for QB talent. Slim chance this works out in the end, that's all some of us are saying.

And exactly how do you know this? If he DOES pan out, he would be worth it even if we shelled out 5-6 first and second round picks. Contrary to what debbie downers believe, being negative is not being realistic. Kid is a rookie with a lot of talent. We have some great offensive weapons for him and enough picks and money to rebuild our OL over the next couple of seasons. Let's all wait for some games to actually be played first.

Stupidest ******* team in the league. The Cleveland Browns are now making better decisions than we are. I'm just speechless with disgust over this entire situation.

Blow tens of millions of dollars on a FA QB who sucks.
Pay another team a 2018 2nd round pick to get rid of him.
Trade away the 2018 1st round pick to move up and grab Watson. Basically it feels like we spent two 1's and a 2 to get Watson. That's how it seems to have played out.

Morons.... Morons everywhere in that building.

Actually, if you combine the trades they gave up 2 1st round picks, a second round pick, a sixth round pick and Brock Osweiler for Watson and a fourth round pick. If Watson does turn out to be an average starter or better the price was cheap. I know that's a huge IF 0

Actually, if you combine the trades they gave up 2 1st round picks, a second round pick, a sixth round pick and Brock Osweiler for Watson and a fourth round pick. If Watson does turn out to be an average starter or better the price was cheap. I know that's a huge IF 0

We also got a huge wad of cash back.

We also got a huge wad of cash back.

That they didn't utilize in free agency.... They could have simply kept TBWoO and kept that 2nd round pick .... and told Brock not to show up. Then cut him after this year ....

I didn't like Watson. Never thought they would have a chance at him. Do believe they panicked after KC moved up and got Mahomes (DAMN!T) and made the move to go get him.

Now that he's a Texan , I hope I'm eating crow .... that he's the second coming of Tom Brady.

My gawd this thread. Im so happy some of you are not a GM in this league.
Well, I think it was a huge mistake. To me feels like they learned absolutely nothing from the Brock situation (Only with draft picks instead of cash) and put it all on another unproven. (Either way you look at it. Savage has yet to prove he can finish a season. Im not saying he is fragile still a bit early to tell.... but..... til he finishes a season... unknown.) With Watson he in unproven in the league (of course, he is a rookie) but they may have risked 2018 just for a hopeful. At least with Savage, we lost nothing but the 2017 season (Worst case). With Watson we may lose '17 and '18. (of course we could win it as well)

That said, I have to agree with you. Im not a fan of the move. I DO hope that Watson will prove me and others wrong........... but this city and our football has taught me not to hold my breath. Im certainly not ready to demolish NRG and sell of our players either.

Last edited:
This is an "all in" move for this front office and HC. It either works and they look brilliant, or, McNair finally cleans out the house from GM on down if it's a failure. There is no way that you keep a GM / HC for making this deal if Watson is a bust.

Funny thing is people said this about Rick Smith last year and then promptly gave him a pass with the 2nd round pick dump because they were so glad to be rid of Osweiler.

Funny thing is people said this about Rick Smith last year and then promptly gave him a pass with the 2nd round pick dump because they were so glad to be rid of Osweiler.

I gave him a pass when he dumped TBWoO and that second round pick assuming that he would make use of the cap space he got in return .... He hasn't and I really cant see them spending all that much with whats left on the free agent market.

Looking back , he'd have been better off simply cutting him and eating the losses on this years cap ....

Some cap space does roll over to the following year .... maybe they spend big next year or use it to extend DHop.

But IF they let that money go to waste , that second round pick was thrown in the trash.

Merely value, JB. Just trying to consider making up what we've lost at the qb position.

If we need to make a trade to recoup a pick or two, there others I'd prefer to trade. Jackson comes to mind. Hopkins would bring more

We still have a long way to go... and perhaps there is a prospective June 1st cut that can really help us, like a Jake Long :D

Still hoping that the Texans will pull out something that will give us a shot this year. I'm tired of the "next year" stuff. I'm glad that they committed this year and I hope that jobs are on the line. If we get a decent RT and if Allen is healthy and performs and if coaching can coach then maybe just maybe...

kinda pathetic isn't it. Should have posted in the drunk thread

The only thing I'm taking Solice in is Clemson University has been very kind to us over our most recent 1st rounders.. Whitney Mercilus, DeAndre Hopkins, and hopefully Deshaun Watson. (Is that 3 of the last 4? :hmmm: is Rick Smith just renting a room there?)

If this doesn't work out maybe he has a job lined up..

Of course regardless whatever happens with Watson, I think we can all agree those goat/McNair pics were already confirmed after the Assweiler debacle. Lol

Having said that.. Jag fans don't have any room to talk.. they've been bombing on QBs since Mark Brunell.. not to mention all the other busts.

Of course regardless whatever happens with Watson, I think we can all agree those goat/McNair pics were already confirmed after the Assweiler debacle. Lol

Having said that.. Jag fans don't have any room to talk.. they've been bombing on QBs since Mark Brunell.. not to mention all the other busts.

Jags are going to get their QB in the 2018 class.

Jags are going to get their QB in the 2018 class.

We'll see.. Tom Coughlin is actually a respectable coach who can coach them up enough to push them out of the top prospects.. Browns will have the fire power to select anyone they want..assuming the won't be in position to anyways.

Back