Is winning the division the only way to make the playoffs?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by silvrhand, Oct 25, 2010.

1. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

After watching more and more AFC games this week I don't see us making the playoffs unless we win the division..

AFC East:
    Jets
    Patriots
    Dolphins

AFC North:
    Steelers
    Ravens

AFC South:
    Colts
    Texans
    Titans

AFC West
    Chiefs
    Chargers

That leaves about 6 teams up for 2 wildcard slots in the AFC.. gonna be rough..

2. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

yes! i believe so.

3. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

It's our best way but not the only way. That's why wether people want to think so or not, this win over The Chiefs was pretty big IMO. Now we got a tie breaker on those guys. Be great if we could remain undefeated in AFC.

4. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

W-L columns will change next 10 games. We gonna be alllrrightee

5. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I was thinking the same thing before I saw this post.

Tough competition in the AFC. For better or worse the texans at this point at least control their destiny with who they play and a shot at winning the division. Unlike last year the texans need to win games in the next stretch of division games.

6. cdollaz

cdollaz All Pro

I would lean towards the division losers between the Jets/Patriots and Steelers/Ravens getting the 2 wild card spots, meaning that yes, we need to win the division.

7. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

i think it may take 12 wins to get a wild card this year.

8. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

There was a 6 way tie for 5/6th place going into week 17 last year. I don't think it will be much different this year. Just gotta take care of business.

9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I can't imagine the wild card with 12 wins. We're all going to be playing each other in the next 10 weeks, so every game definitely counts.

I'm thinking 10 games won't be enough, & it's going to take 11 wins.

I know it's "only" one game, but there's a big difference between 12 & 11, a big difference between 11 & 10... a big difference between 10 & 9.

10. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

new england missed the playoff's with 11 wins a couple of years ago. between balt, pitt, ne, and nyj. you pick one of those teams that won't win at least 11 games. one of them may not but i would'nt bet on it. balt would be my pick if i had to guess one.

last year at this time i was saying 9 wins might get a spot. it's diff this year.

11. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Not the only way, but Kubiak's keys to success for the season were win in the division, be more physical and overcome adversity. Only one is quantifiable, and based on how the season has gone to date, it is the only one that matters for this member.

As much as I want to be aesthetically pleased, it does take a back seat to the goal - playoffs. Damn you St. Mora!:kitten:

12. Stemp

Stemp Brew Master

All those teams have to play each other twice and many have only seen a few of their division rivals once. We still have 5 division games. There aren't any teams running away with their divisions so far, so likey a 9 or 10 win team will make it as a wild card.

13. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

Speaking in hypotheticals, if we go 11-5 and miss the playoffs I will be furious but I will not call for Kubiak to be fired.

Most likely way I see this happening is for the Titans to win the division since imo they are built to beat us and the Colts. Then, Ravens beating us and getting in on the tiebreaker, with NE getting in at 12-4.

14. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

ne, nyj, and pitt are all 5 and 1. if you want any of those teams to go 10 and 6 you need them to be 500 ball clubs the rest of the way. i don't see any of those teams going 5 and 5 the rest of the way. it's up to balt who is 4 and 2.

it's either up to us to catch tenn.(who i believe is just as good as those 4 teams) or one of those(balt maybe) to collapse. I don't see us going to the playoffs if we don't win at least 11 games and that may not be enough. it's going to be a tough year to get in.

they have already had some games against each other and they are not all in the same div so they don't all play each other twice. i think you were talking about just the div teams.

15. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Yes and it was notable because it happens so rarely just like it was rare for an 8-8 team to make the playoffs as happened that year as well.

16. cdollaz

cdollaz All Pro

I think it may take 11 wins this year also. Too bad we aren't in the NFC. Would probably get in with 9 over there.

17. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

There's a lot of football left to play. The best way to go about making the playoffs is to try and win every single game left on the schedule. It's not going to happen of course but if they will quit with the sleep-walking performances and stay focused they have a chance to win 10 or 11 games and that's going to be good enough.

18. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

thats true. and i said the same thing to people last year who were saying that it would take 11 wins last year in thread pretty much like this one.

this year you have 4 superbowl quality teams coming out of 2 div. that does'nt happen often and that's why i think this year is diff.

19. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I think we have a better chance of beating the Colts than we do of beating the Jets, Ravens, or Steelers. So I guess I think winning the division is our best bet.

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I would pick the NYJets. Baltimore's 9 wins last year was legit. We've seen the Jets "breakdown" last year..... I'm thinking it will happen again.

I can't think of 7 teams in the AFC that I think will win more than 10 games.