IS USC Better Than TAMU?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by thetexanator, Oct 3, 2013.

1. thetexanator

thetexanator All Pro

whys sumlin even considering this? seems like tamu is on par with usc. anyone know what tamu pays sumlin? didnt he just build a huge house?

2. Rey

Rey Guest

He'd probably have a better chance at a nat'l title at USC. I am clueless about the money aspect though.

Recruiting would probably be easier as well.

3. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

His original contract at TAMU was for around $2 million/ year. Then he received an extension paying him a hair over $ 3 million a year until around 2017 plus bonuses.... IIRC.

Not to worry. He won't be going anywhere until the pros come a callin'!

4. Texan_Bill

You can view Sumlin's full contract HERE

5. Ranger Tom

Ranger Tom Hall of Fame

USC is still under sanctions, and I understand that they were a contributing factor to the results that Lane Kiffen got (or maybe he's really that bad). So that's a reason for Sumlin to stay where he is.

6. Stemp

Stemp Brew Master

A&m can match money plus his wife and kids love CS.
    USC will be a rebuilding project for whatever coach they hire so they will have to pay big

Once texas money whips Saban for $10M per year it won't matter anyways right longhorns??
    :lol:

7. 2012Champs

2012Champs Hall of Fame

Is it now? Probably not. Is it a better opportunity? Long term I think so unless the Johhny Football craze leads to a ground swell of recruiting. At a min I would see if A&M would up my money if USC is really poking around

8. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

USC is definitely a better opportunity and a better program than TAMU. As Rey said, recruiting would a lot easier. When USC is good, they routinely get their pick of some of the best players in the nation.

9. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

The Pac-12 is a way easier conference to negotiate a NC shot than the SEC. Leaving so soon after what feels like just arriving at TAMU would definitely leave a bad aftertaste in a lot of people's mouths (heh). I think right now Sumlin has just as good of a shot at any offensive player in the country as any other coach. Defense maybe not as much, but he's got his team up there in rankings and exposure for the moment, so I don't see recruiting being a big angle to getting him there.

The easiness of the Pac-10 plus a significant pay bump would probably be the biggest factors if Sumlin were to leave.

10. htownfan32

htownfan32 Hall of Fame

Lol, no way is recruiting an answer. Texas A&M is killing it in recruiting, if you haven't looked lately. He built a house here and A&M can probably match him for money. He might milk this for a bigger contract, I guess.

As bong said, the easiness of the Pac-12 is a possible attracting factor.

11. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Just for the record, I couldn't disagree with this more. If you're only comparing Pac 12 to SEC, then there is some truth to it (although probably not nearly as much as you seem to think). If you're comparing it to Division I in general, I believe the Pac 12 is rapidly improving and could easily be the second best conference in the NCAA. Oregon's got a track record, and while there's been a coaching change, right now things seem to be going better for their current coach than their former coach. Stanford's been a consistent top 10 team under David Shaw, and you've got UCLA, Washington, and even Arizona State who appear to be very much on the rise.

If ease of conference were the only factor in Sumlin's decision, TAMU loses out to USC big time.

12. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Of course it's a comparison between the PAC and the SEC, since those would be the only two conferences being discussed in a potential Sumlin move. And while Oregon looks pretty good and Stanford has a really good defense, that's a far cry from 'Bama/Georgia/LSU/UF (when they are good). Hell, even Ole Miss has a pretty stout team, which you don't see every year.

13. Texan_Bill

Food for thought, Since USC's last National Championship:

2005 Texas Big XII
    2006 Florida SEC
    2007 LSU SEC
    2008 Florida SEC
    2009 Alabama SEC
    2010 Auburn SEC
    2011 Alabama SEC
    2012 Alabama SEC

14. 2012Champs

2012Champs Hall of Fame

I would think next year post johnny football there will be a dropoff for A&M that is sizable

15. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I'll enjoy it immensely if Sumlin does decide to bail out of College Station and head for the west coast. I'll be grinning ear to ear over it actually.

I mean, how can you hold it against the man? Coaching at USC is an opportunity to coach at a school that's in rare company. A&M has never and will never be in that tier.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  16. htownfan32

htownfan32 Hall of Fame

Depends. We do have Kyle Allen (Rivals #1 ranked QB) coming in.
    The WR corps will be even better (return of Ricky Seals Jones from medical redshirt) and the defense will have had a year to mature (plus I think we have found our ILB answer in Claiborne). There's going to be a QB dropoff for sure, but how much is the question. As long as we go 1-0 every week it's all good.

17. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

This.

With Summlin, T&M will be the Leach-era Texas Tech of the SEC at best. A great team, but never really at the top of the conference.

Once Manziel bails...

18. Texan_Bill

Also, I think Matt Joeckel is a junior and there is true freshman Kenny Hill.

19. htownfan32

htownfan32 Hall of Fame

Yep. Joeckel has looked miles better than Kenny Hill at this point, but I think that's only to be expected.

All the people saying that Texas A&M will never ever break into elite tier football programs boggle my mind. It's like being elite is something that doesn't change. Do "elite" football programs that go through periods of crap stay "elite?" I'm not saying A&M will become elite, I'm saying A&M can become elite. Elite is not some never-changing old guard of schools.

20. htownfan32

htownfan32 Hall of Fame

http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013...vin-sumlin-aggies-leave-usc-lane-kiffin-fired