Is Tom Savage A Long Term Option?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gtexan02, Dec 19, 2016.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

(I didn't see a Tom Savage discussion thread, so if there is one that should be 'officialized' please feel free to move)

I didn't watch the game live yesterday. I saw the boxscore throughout the game and went from utter despair (Osweiller with 2 picks and down big to Jacksonville at home with AFC-S on the line) to incredible hope (Savage with a great stat-line and a 1 point come from behind victory).

I was sure Savage would be the guy to right this ship. Then I watched the game and now I'm not so sure. Here's what worries me:

1. I saw Jax drop 2 INTs from Savage. 1 from a lineman (who should have had it), and 1 on the sideline. There was another throw where the DB lept and just missed getting his hand on the ball. A big issue with BO is his propensity to throw into traffic and turn the ball over. I saw Savage make some questionable reads and get lucky.

2. A lot of scoring drives enabled by penalties and good field position. Not taking away from Savage directly, but it seems like there were a lot of defensive penalties and good returns to facilitate some of those scores.

3. A lot of settling for FGs.

Now don't get me wrong - what I saw from Savage was light years ahead of Osweiller. I would be ecstatic to see BO sit the rest of the season. I'm just wondering whether we're getting ahead of ourselves anoiting Savage the savior. Jacksonville gives up on average 26 points a game.

What do others who know more about football/have seen him more than I have think?

False Start, Malloy and Hervoyel like this.
  2. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

We have no idea, I think we should probably get a good idea in the next two games if he is allowed to start. The one thing I know is that he is 10X better than Osweiler and I will take that every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

3. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

We wont know until next year. Defensive coordinators dont have too nuch game footage on him to gameplan.

Plus can Savage adjust to what the defenses are doing.

JB, Hervoyel and DocBar like this.
  4. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Depends on how he finishes this run obviously but I see no reason why he can't be good enough to win with this defense.

Hervoyel likes this.
  5. Seegara

Seegara Hall of Fame

Savage will have his off days, but Os looks like he's having an off day every time he takes the field.
    Savage is no superstar, but he doesn't have to be. He's probably good enough for us to start him long term.

6. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

Savage definitely looked more composed in the pocket and threw some nice passes.
    I also liked the instant spark - the whole team seemed to lift and also the crowd really got into it.
    To come from behind against some decent talent on Jags was also pleasing.

ROO, False Start and Hervoyel like this.
  7. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

He's basically played one game. No one knows the answer if he is a long term solution.

macho grande, Max, Texas Jake and 5 others like this.
  8. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I have no idea if Savage is the answer long term, but he, or any QB not named assweiler is the short term answer.

9. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

He's playing with house money right now. We won't know until later honestly. Hell he hasn't even practiced with the guys he played along side yesterday. Imagine if he built any kind of timing w his WRs; something Brock hasn't achieved in an off season and 14 regular season games.

10. banned1976

banned1976 American

He hasn't seen many situations in his brief NFL career. If he gets the nod the rest of the way, plays well in the next 2 games and also in the playoffs we could be seeing a budding franchise QB. If he's not given a chance, we still won't know.

It's all in O'Brien's hands now. He's going to have to do one hell of a sell job to McNair for starting Savage the rest of the way. And if he does want and get Savage to start the rest of the way, he's going to "have to coach better."

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    macho grande and Hervoyel like this.

11. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

First off, things can change quickly with more film on Savage, but Savage came off the bench playing from behind and with less practice time with the starters than BO. I think the coming week should be very telling is Savage starts.

What amazes me was that the O-Line looked completely different with Savage in. It was very strange.

macho grande, PapaL and Hervoyel like this.
  12. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

100% Agree. I have a couple thoughts:

On the 2 throws that could have been picked. One was a zone blitz and it looked like the DT was obstructed by the pass rush (i.e. Savage didn't see him - it happens) the second one looked like Savage and Williams weren't on the same page. The throw looked like Savage expected Williams to run an out and Williams kept going upfield. Most of BOs ints are either panic throws or terrible ball placement/timing

Anyone that has ever coached knows some players are terrific in practice yet mediocre in live game action and some are mediocre in practice but shine in game situations. Based on some of OB's comments, I'm wondering if Brock is a good practice player and we all know how he performs in games. I think the Savage might be the opposite. I'm curious to see what he can do with a full week of reps.

I'm also encouraged by Savage's QBR under pressure yesterday. He stood in against the rush and made some really good throws. That's hard to teach. As side note remember he was out for 2 weeks with a serious infection I think that makes what he did more impressive

13. VTexan

VTexan All Pro

if we didn't put him on IR last year we would have found this out already and maybe not have paid brock 36 million....

texans are such an infuriating organization sometimes.

14. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 RickSmithSUX

I am not sure Savage is the long term solution.

What I am certain of is Brock is definitely not the long term solution.

15. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

I have been a Savage fan since he got here. But the problem with Savage is that he can't stay on the field. I know we all admire his courage to stand there in the pocket and take the hit. He's got poise, and can make the throws, but he has to play a lot more to develop his eyes in the back of his head.

If gets the start next game, and the games thereafter this season, I think we have a shot. But he's got to get the ball out quicker. He takes too many hits.

16. Hervoyel

Hervoyel BUENO!

If you can't tell I like where this thread is going. We really don't know but the signs are positive and we have a couple of weeks left in the season to see what happens. Things can change and change quickly so he might come out next week, take a sack and break something. He might be "fragile" or "unlucky". He might not be and the injury in Indianapolis in 2014 might have just been a fluke. I mean, they broke Fitzpatrick's leg in the same game and he's not considered fragile. We. Don't. Know.

But it looks like we're going to find out. That's kind of cool.

I think he's clearly got a better understanding of the offense than Brock does. He throws a nice ball and he seems to have a better feel for the possible routes. Brock always seems like he locks into what one WR is doing and it almost looks at times like he's anticipating the decision the WR is going to make before the WR even gets that far. So many damn "miscommunications between the WR and QB" when Brock is out there. I know they're going to happen but when they happen as often as they do to Brock then somebody is doing more wrong than just reading the defense differently. Somebody isn't reading the defense at all and instead just anticipating what they want the WR to do.

Looking forward to the Bengals game. This is the most interested I've been since the first few weeks of the season.

17. Dakota

Dakota Field General

Don't know if the camera's showed it, but when Savage came running in Hopkins was visibly excited about the decision. He was repeatedly hitting Griffin on the back of his shoulder pads in sort of a "let's go, it's showtime" gesture. I'm not too sure what the locker room dynamics are as far as QB relationships go, but like many others have stated the blocking seemed to get a lot better, receivers found new life, and our overall energy level seemed to be elevated when Savage came in. It will be interesting to see how Savage develops going forward, and I've learned to contain my excitement over a Houston QB, but man it sure was nice to see this late season spark to a team who seemed to be desperate and demoralized.

Hervoyel and macho grande like this.
  18. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I'm right there with you. The fact that my disgruntled old self has any emotion about the Texans right now is because of last night.

19. DX-TEX

DX-TEX #TomSavageDontCare

Yes

Hervoyel likes this.
  20. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

I think this goes back to a point in my post about his play in practice. This morning on 790 Lance mentioned talking with former Texans reporter T Ganguli. She mentioned that the Texans were not high on Savage and that's the reason they IRed him so quickly. He looked pretty good in pre season games last year so he must have done poorly in practice. As a coach it's got to be tough to have confidence in a guy that looks bad in practices. Hopefully he'll continue to play well in game situations. If he can be the man for us, his million dollar salary will help off set BOs

Hervoyel and DocBar like this.