Is Tom Coughlin a HOF Coach?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Brando, Dec 1, 2008.

?

Is Tom Coughlin a HOF Coach?

1. Yes

42.9%
  2. No

33.3%
  3. Only if he wins the SB this year.

23.8%
  1. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

This article made me think about this and I wondered what the fine folks at texanstalk thought?

Coughlin is Coach of the Year, and possibly headed for Canton

Link

I think he is a HOfer. He also did a good coaching job in Jacksonville taking them to the AFC Championship in only the 2nd year of the franchise's existence. I think he should get in regardless if the Giants don't win the SB.

2. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I say yes, based on this alone: Coughlin = 122 career wins and a Super Bowl championship.

"George Allen made it with 118 wins and no NFL titles. Sid Gillman got in with 123 wins and one AFL title. John Madden earned a spot with 112 wins and one Super Bowl. Hank Stram won 136 games and only one Super Bowl."

3. mootini

mootini 1stdown!!!!!

Yes, He is a HOF coach. Especially, if the Giants win another SB?

4. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

He is in the mold of Parcells and has been even more effective since he mellowed out some.

As a Giants fan I am happy with the guy however I also give a lot of credit to his staff, especially Spagnuolo.

Eli is also a huge factor in their success. He just does what he needs to do to win. Hate on him all you want but the guy has zero ego and never complains.

5. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

He had a significant portion of the team in revolt against him toward the end of '05 and throughout '06. Tiki Barber has all but outright admitted that he retired because of Coughlin. Yet management stuck with Coughlin and he built the team to where he wanted it, and now they are on the road to back-to-back titles. I say he is a HoF coach, and I'd love to have him here in Houston.

6. toronto

toronto Hall of Fame

I used to think he was terrible coach. Those Jags teams underachieved, and Fisher outcoached him consistently, including the '99 AFC Championship.

When he was nearly on the outs in New York, I thought he was cooked and he could take his misery elsewhere. (seriously, the guy always looks beyond agitated, even when things are going well in a game)

The last 11 months have been flat out stunning. The guy basically reinvented himself, learned to delegate more authority to his players, let his co-ordinators do their job, and most importantly, put his players in a position to succeed, not fail.

His mission has succeeded. When I watch a Giants game this year, and I've watched several, I watch a team that truly believes in itself and the coaches. They go on the field and out-execute, outplay and outphysical teams, under any circumstance. They play smart. Their football 'IQ' is off the charts. They manage the clock to perfection. All of these things are instilled by good coaches.

The coach is blamed when they don't do these things, so he deserves a ton of praise when it does get done right.

The Giants are a true model on how to build a team, and I can't believe I am saying this, but it starts with Coach Coughlin. I think one more championship and he's a HOFer.

7. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Unless you plan on drafting him when he doesn't want you to. Then he's been known to complain a little bit.

8. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Agreed.

Though I think his father needs to share some of the blame in that one too.

9. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

I heard a sports caster mention Kurt Warner and the Hall of Fame in the same breath. I hope he was saying that he planned to buy the guy tickets or get him a job parkin' cars because other than that...I don't see the two in the same sentence.

10. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I think he is but I sure wouldn't want to sit thru his acceptance speech. Snooze.....

11. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

While I generally agree with you about Warner, there are guys in the HoF who have less impressive credentials than Warner.

12. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I believe Warner has the record for most 300 yards passing games and it's not even close.

Not to say that is nearly enough to be admitted into the HoF, but it's still impressive.

13. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

Warner is Dan Fouts with a ring and a few MVPs. seems he should go in. but he never had long stretches of consistency over more than 3 years. if he can get the Cardinals to the Super Bowl before he's done, i think that would pretty much seal the deal