Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is this some kind of joke? O'Brien to call plays and not hire an OC

More than any other year I can remember, I’m not confident that any off-season personnel moves are going to make a significant difference…….and this on a team that seems like it should be very close to being a contender.

BOB has had 8 different qb’s run his offense unsuccessfully – I’m not sure why we would have any confidence that the 9th one is going to be the charm that finally makes it work. It seems to me that the more likely problem isn’t the qb, but the offense and how the players are being coached to run it.

So why not do something truly novel this offseason and find an offensive coordinator who can craft an offense that works with the personnel we have? Make Savage our starting qb, strengthen the OL and this may be enough. But the luxury should be there to add a player that can be an immediate upgrade in a difference making position – coverage LB, WR, RB or Safety. This still leaves room to draft our future qb who most likely isn’t going to make an immediate impact regardless of how high he’s drafted.

Even considering how the Brock experiment set us back – all of this should be achievable. But in my mind, we’re not likely to see any major improvements until we find a coordinator who can make our offense work or BOB shows us something we haven’t seen from him to this point.

Last edited:
BOB has had 8 different qb’s run his offense unsuccessfully...

But in my mind, we’re not likely to see any major improvements until we find a coordinator who can make our offense work or BOB shows us something we haven’t seen from him to this point.

I wonder how involved O'b was in our offense. It's been difficult to separate our offense from our QB's performance from day 1.

O'b started calling plays this year & all of a sudden we have TEs, which was a staple of the offense he ran in New England.

I mean we were all thinking we wasted a 3rd round pick right?

It's possible that O'b told Godsey what needed to be done & felt very confident Godsey would get it done. Then come game day when things did not go so well he chalked it up to the limitations of the QB; Fitzpatrick, Hoyer, Brock... then he saw similar issues with Savage, he finally realized the problem is bigger than his QB.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an actual offense when the season starts.

I wonder how involved O'b was in our offense. It's been difficult to separate our offense from our QB's performance from day 1.

O'b started calling plays this year & all of a sudden we have TEs, which was a staple of the offense he ran in New England.

It's possible that O'b told Godsey what needed to be done & felt very confident Godsey would get it done. Then come game day when things did not go so well he chalked it up to the limitations of the QB; Fitzpatrick, Hoyer, Brock... then he saw similar issues with Savage, he finally realized the problem is bigger than his QB.

This may very well be and I think it explains why we haven't been contenders -- our coach is on the same learning curve as our young offensive core. Structural coaching issues need to be nailed down before we can build anything. BOB being our O coordinator and sharing head coaching responsibilities w/ RAC introduces a new learning curve and adjustment period. It can work, but it doesn't seem ideal and it lasts only as long as RAC decides to stick around. Then we're looking for another de facto head coach and I'm not sure how many qualified people want the role without the title.

It just feels like a band-aid to major structural coaching problem we have. If it's the route we're going to take, I hope you're right that BOB is up to it and that it works.

O'Brien didn't have an OC his first year here - he called the plays - and TEs weren't featured in that version of the offense.

O'Brien didn't have an OC his first year here - he called the plays - and TEs weren't featured in that version of the offense.
TK can be all over the place; we knew that.

And it's not like the TEs suddenly showed up big time after the NE game.

As a group, their average increased by 1.1 catch per game in the regular season, but then dipped by 2 in the play-offs, LOL.

I've always believed O'b has been grooming Godsey for the job from day one. Even though O'b "called the plays" I'm pretty sure Godsey was the OC without the title, doing all the things an OC does before gameday.

I know after the Tennessee game CjF was quoted saying that O'b told him to be ready because they're coming to him.

It seems to me that the more likely problem isn’t the qb, but the offense and how the players are being coached to run it.
This is basically the gist of my argument. GG was the fall guy this last season and got fired even though he basically was nothing more than Ob's lap dog.

Last edited:
This is basically the gist of my argument. GG was the fall guy this last season and got fired even though he basically was nothing more than Ob's lap dog.
Did I say that? :) I had to go back to my original post because I don't think that Os isn't a big problem. In context, I was saying that BOB has burned through 8 different qb's without finding our guy and called for Savage to start. But it seems like we're on the same page as far as coaching.

I watched several youtube videos of BOB's teaching clinics and I'm starting to think that BOB just may not be a good teacher. I think we've all sat in classes where the teacher was talking over our head and then we've had teachers that can take complicated subject matter and break it down so it's understandable -- BOB may not have that skillset. I linked one of his videos below to illustrate -- to me, he's moving waaay too fast. He's talking to coaches in these videos who should already have a foundation, so the content shouldn't be as difficult as it is to a neophyte like myself. But that's really the point I'm making. Hoyer already had a foundation in the scheme and had one of his better years under BOB. I'm not sure what type of offense Fitpatrick ran prior to playing for us, but he was a verteran and a Harvard guy who scored 48 on the Wonderlic -- he's probably going to pick things up quicker than the average bear -- again, he had one of his better years under BOB. Coaching Tom Brady tells me nothing -- for all we know, TB ignored 99% of what BOB was saying.

So that's where I'm at. I think BOB has a good offensive mind and his offense can work really well with a skilled qb that gets it. I'm just not confident that he can dumb things down enough to get a new guy up to speed quick enough to not lose all of his confidence in the process.

I don't think a rookie qb can be successful on this team. It's possible that things will click for Os and he will process the game fast enough for drastic improvement next year, but I feel like Savage already gets it and may have better tools that Os -- I'd like him to get the role.

Last edited:
...So that's where I'm at. I think BOB has a good offensive mind and his offense can work really well with a skilled qb that gets it. I'm just not confident that he can dumb things down enough to get a new guy up to speed quick enough to not lose all of his confidence in the process.

I don't think a rookie qb can be successful on this team. It's possible that things will click for Os and he will process the game fast enough for drastic improvement next year, but I feel like Savage already gets it and may have better tools that Os -- I'd like him to get the role...
Pretty much where I'm at - even a first round draft pick is going to be a "project". Whoever we select needs to have the skill set, but equally important will be his football IQ and how fast he can pick things up.

One advantage Weeden has over Romo, Cutler or another vet is that he already has a training camp under his belt. Savage just needs to stay healthy; but you have to go into camp with him being a question mark.

But whatever the organization ends up deciding, IMO we don't go into camp with a predetermined starter. Our starter needs to earn the job and not earn it in practice but earn it with effective playing time.

This should have been done last year but that's water under the bridge. What I have mulled over is that, whoever the vets are, we carry the evaluation period into the front part of the season, giving each one two starts to see how they perform. By mid-season we know who our starter is, to carry us the rest of the way into the playoffs.

Pretty much where I'm at - even a first round draft pick is going to be a "project". Whoever we select needs to have the skill set, but equally important will be his football IQ and how fast he can pick things up.

One advantage Weeden has over Romo, Cutler or another vet is that he already has a training camp under his belt. Savage just needs to stay healthy; but you have to go into camp with him being a question mark.

But whatever the organization ends up deciding, IMO we don't go into camp with a predetermined starter. Our starter needs to earn the job and not earn it in practice but earn it with effective playing time.

This should have been done last year but that's water under the bridge. What I have mulled over is that, whoever the vets are, we carry the evaluation period into the front part of the season, giving each one two starts to see how they perform. By mid-season we know who our starter is, to carry us the rest of the way into the playoffs.
I agree with an open competition. My opinion was that 'the leak' and rumors about BOB leaving bought him the leeway to have this competition and freedom to bench Os if he wants to. McNair eventually came around to BOB's position and stepped out from in front of the cub w/ comments about needing him to play better. Whether or not any of this is true doesn't really matter to me, as long as McNair is giving BOB the freedom to go with whoever he chooses and it seems like that's where we're at.

I feel like people are giving up too soon on Tom Savage. I don't know that I buy into the 'injury prone' concept unless there are injuries recurring to the same place or secondary injuries to another major injury -- this doesn't seem to be the case for him. Fishing guys understand the joke that the fish are always on the other side of the lake no matter where you put the boat in. Why go to the other side of the lake before trying where you're at? Tom Savage may very well be Jimmy Garoppolo. Let them have an open competition -- I'll be surprised if Savage doesn't win.

It is apparent to me that BOB selectively "dumbed down" the offense for all of his QBs as appropriate to their limitations, thus allowing them some semblance of success in his offense. We have not seen his full offense to date, and will not until a QB proves that they can distinctly fully excel in the dumbed down version.

I don't think a rookie qb can be successful on this team. It's possible that things will click for Os and he will process the game fast enough for drastic improvement next year, but I feel like Savage already gets it and may have better tools that Os -- I'd like him to get the role.
I am for drafting a rookie as a future starter and temporary backup option. Yes it may be that the rookie can't be successful but last season was a bad season for Os and Savage was not much better while in. Of coarse injuries did not give us enough to go on in regards to Savage.

Still, I am for drafting a Qb in the third or fourth rounds and carrying 4 Qb's into preseason before one of the four is dropped. In the mean time there should be a fair and open battle for the starters role. The quarterbacks currently on our team should have more than enough time under O'b to benefit them. The rookie most likely won't be the Qb but if he does well enough we can drop one of our current three. If the two left over quarterbacks struggle our rookie can get some playing time and if no playing time he still will get valuable time learning the system and studying.

To me every season is a season to draft a quarterback if our current crop are not getting the job done, there are no free agent ones available or no trade options open up. That is as long as the one drafted previously doesn't look like he has a future with the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Max
Back