Is this Carr's option year?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marcus, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

I'm not sure exactly what his contract is . . . (someone else can give the details) . . . but isn't this the year that the Texans have a choice of either extending his contract, or cutting him loose, and be free of the cap money.

My opinion, at least for right now, is that he is damaged goods from a mental standpoint, and we have ourselves a reincarnation of a Tim Couch.

We don't need a Tim Couch on this football team, so I say . . . cut bait.

2. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

I believe he gets a roster bonus at the end of this year if he stays on and also believe this is the year they can exercise an extension.

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

If we pick up his option we are going to be paying him like a pro bowler. He has to pick his game up now since his option is no longer a 'no brainer'.
    http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap.html

4. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

That is a lot of money for a kid who may not be as good as he was 1st and 2nd year in the league. Wouldnt be shocked if the option was not picked up.

5. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

If he wants to be paid like an All-Pro, he has to show that he can play and lead like one. Not for one game, but consistently for the rest of the season.

6. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I think the Texans should draft a QB in the first 3 rounds to have a solid backup that could take over should David Carr falter. Preferably, one of Texas' QBs, Young or McNeal. Or, we could wait for Pierre Beasley (look him up)

7. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

In the event DC is not worthy of the salary his cotract will command I would rather build the O line and go journey man in the interim. A value pick for a young QB I belive would be warranted. However, as much as I like seeing homegrown talent I do not like to see it at the QB position. It puts a lot of pressure on the organization.

8. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

So i guess Pierre Beasley is the reason the mustangs are so good. I think we should just restructure Carrs contract. Hes not worth any were that much.

9. mexican_texan

Aaronn Glenn was homegrown talent, living just miles away from Westfield in Nimitz. I heard he played good for us. BTW, Beasley is like Vick with a better arm and was the number one prospect out of texas, last I heard.

10. mexican_texan

The Mustangs are loaded, there is no one player that deserves too much credit. But yeah, Carr should restructure his contract if he doesn't want to get sacked so much. Does anyone know how Dan Neil is a free agent?

11. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

How about we wait for Jimmy claussen. Is that how you spell it.

12. TexanExile

TexanExile A New Hope

Heh....Yes, I'd also be very concerned if Carr suddenly were to falter. He's been doing so well lately. :brickwall

Anyway...David Leaf--errr, I mean Joey Carr--wait, uh, I meant to say David Feeley---should not receive pay out of line with his performance just because he's here and "knows the system." At this rate, that "system" (such as it is) will be outbound on I-10 long before it's time to start negotiating with Carr. If a coaching change does happen, he isn't doing much to strengthen his case as being much more than another potential FA signing at this point.

But it's only 2 games in. There's a LOT of ball left for him to turn it around. Honestly, I hope he does, but he's gotta get started fairly soon.

13. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Maybe he should shave his head completely bald and see what happens.

The new David Carr ------> :)

14. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

:brickwall If Carr goes then he should be accompanied by Capers and CC. Out of the three Carr shoulders the least blame ... they picked him .

15. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Vinny so if the Texans don't pick up his rookie option is he a restricted free agent or unrestricted free agent next year?

16. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I could be mistaken but I believe he would be unrestricted if we don't pick it up.

17. Rightnow

Rightnow Veteran

He will have to pull a rabbit out of his hat to get that extension or have pictures of Casserly. I forsee him being benched at least one game before the end of this season and Banks being our QB. If Carr gets benched, that is the end of him.

18. Elite

Elite Veteran

I would like to keep carr i mean he knows the offense or lack there of :yahoo: but if we keep carr he would get paid what he needs to get paid wich should be the league minimum and i still think he would be overpaid. :highfive: I wonder how much diferrent of a franchise we are gonna be When We have Matt Lionheart at the helms.

19. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

More of the same. :brickwall :brickwall

20. Elite

Elite Veteran

may be so but at leats we know Matt LionHeart can win a Big Game sure david carr won big games in college too Hawaii San jose state all them powerfull and recognised football programs :rofl: lol: