Is the Texans offense a one half team?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Goatcheese, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

The Texans offense can only play for one half. For the last two years we've heard this repeated a lot around here so I wanted to go and take a look at the numbers.

#3 offense Texans
    15 Halves with 10 or fewer points

So the answer appears to be a rather loud and annoyed "YES!"

The next question I asked was "Is that normal?"

So I looked at the top 10 offenses this season to see how they measured up in this category:

All scores are based on box scores. Special teams/defensive scores may increase these numbers(but that would only help my argument).

#1 offense Chargers
    10 Halves with 10 or fewer points

#2 offense Eagles
    12 Halves with 10 or fewer points

#3 offense Texans

#4 offense Colts
    9 Halves with 10 or fewer points

#5 Offense Giants

#6 offense Saints
    17 Halves with 10 or fewer points

#7 offense Cowboys

#8 offense Patriots
    12 Halves with 10 or fewer points

#9 offense Packers

#10 offense Raiders
    16 Halves with 10 or fewer points

I was somewhat surprised since I have often wondered why the Texans can't put two solid halves together like the "good" offenses. It turns out that it isn't abnormal in the least. No team scored eleven or more points in every half, and the best was the Colts with just nine halves with ten or less. Four of the nine teams were better, three equal and two worse.

It's an area where we would all like to see improvement, but it isn't a sign of a bad team/offense.

2. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

Stats are for losers.

Mike

3. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

OK. Just kidding.

Very good job actually. This is an example of people being able to use statistics to analyze a situation instead of using a situation to generate statistics. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Mike

4. sometexansfan

sometexansfan Blue Bomber

Very interesting, of course when you have a defense as bad as ours, there's no room for bad halves unfortunately.

5. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Definately interesting at a glance, but as you yourself mention, there are so many other factors playing in that it 'may' dilute any actual conclusion.

Good indicator though!

6. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I was wondering about this perception or was it because we had a one quarter defense

7. Surreal McCoy

Surreal McCoy All Pro

lol Great post. All the haters scream "YOU HAVE TO PLAY THE WHOLE GAME STUPIDAK!!!!", yet conveniently only count the first half when it comes to scoring. heheh Really, you couldn't make it up... :redface:

8. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

We're only looking at points.

My argument, is that we have trouble staying on the field. I'd like to know how many 3 & outs we've had as a team, compared to others. I'd like to know how many have we had in one particular half than the other teams.

The Raider game specifically, if we could have stayed on the field as an offense, & not just throw the ball away on third downs... the raiders wouldn't have been close in the first half alone.

The Giants game is another one that bothered me. The defense was truly awful that first half, but they came out in the 3rd Qtr & put a beating on the Giants, causing 2 turnovers & a 3 & out in their first three possessions. We only got 7 points out of that, because the offense couldn't move the ball.... couldn't get into field goal range. The only score, was because our defense put the offense on the 17.

I agree, we need a defense that can do that more often. Heck, a special teams that could get us favorable field position more often would be nice as well....... something else we were missing in 2010.

9. Surreal McCoy

Surreal McCoy All Pro

During the Ravens game they showed a graphic that stated we were 2nd behind JAX with fewest 3 and outs in the league. I don't think it changed too much from that point.

10. HTown2ATX

HTown2ATX TexansMetalhead

^.....gonna need a plunger for this one..... :flush:

:slapfight:

11. Dishman

Dishman Miss Ya Blue

I take it you believe everything will be fixed and we are play-off bound with a real defense? Is this right?

12. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Thanks for the time and effort, Goatcheese. Interesting. +Rep

13. TexanBacker93

TexanBacker93 Hall of Fame

Nice research.

One thing I've thought about with our "1 half" of offense is that it might be because the defense is giving up long, time wasting drives that leaves the offense with little time to generate anything. A lack of scoring isn't always a result of a bad offense, but a case of not having the opportunity.

I've wanted to look at the number of 3 and outs our offense had compared to others around the league and compared to how many our defense forces. I'm willing to bet our defense forced the fewest this season.

14. Surreal McCoy

Surreal McCoy All Pro

No. I believe the problems are deeper than that and the root cause is at the scouting/personnel level. Kubiak has been in charge of offensive personnel and Smith in charge of defensive (as per Lance Z, Justice and Jabba) so you can draw your own conclusions from there.

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

That's got to be defensively.

16. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Haven't found a 3 and out stat but the Texans were 2nd in the league on 1st downs per game and 9th in the league on 3rd down conversion %. They were also 3rd on yards per game while being 15th in plays from scrimmage. We were 28th in the league in number of punts. Those numbers do not point to the Texans having lots of 3 and outs.

Wolf likes this.
  17. Surreal McCoy

Surreal McCoy All Pro

If it was defensively I wouldn't have bothered responding as that's not what you were asking.

18. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

I think that inversely answers the 3-and-out question.

My questions are where does our offense lie in terms of points per game...and, more importantly, why does our offense seem to play well only when its ass is on fire.

19. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

We were 9th overall in points scored with 24.4 per game.

Our defense on the other hand, was 29th in points allowed with 26.7 per game. (This includes special teams scores against and INTs/fumbles returned for TD)

20. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

You counted the last two years, right? My problem with the Texans this year, as opposed to last, is how many first halves they blew. Last year, you never knew which half they'd show up, but they were often playing from ahead, which allowed the defense to play a lot looser. Last year, they would play from behind sometimes (early in the year vs. ARI), they would almost squander some leads (SF, MIA), and they blew some teams out. This year, it was a LOT of playing from behind after wasting the entire first half of a game. The defense sucked, but the offense did them no favors at all.

thunderkyss likes this.