Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Is the Secondary fixed?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by House of Pain, May 14, 2019.

?

Is the Secondary Fixed?

1. It's even worse than it was last year.

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. It's better than last year but it's still not good.

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. It's better than last year and needs work but should be fine for this season.

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. It's better than last year and will make the rest of the defense better.

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. OMG BEST SECONDARY EVER!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I'm too scared to have a take so I'll just choose this option.

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

The Texans never pay top $$$$ in FA.

It's the only thing that's consistent about the Texans org. Other than mediocrity, at best.

2. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I dunno but was thinking that QB who John Elway drafted got some pretty dang good coin here in Houston ?

3. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

17 yrs

Ever heard of an outlier?

4. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Doesn’t sound fixed but in process.

5. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

Doesn't mean they're right. Here's what gets to me when people talk about badger and "how the Texans let another one walk" or 'KC showed that he was worth top dollar". Badger was almost done in the league as a player on a contender team till the Texans gave him a one year deal. Guy has one decent year while playing in a fight for your life season and now all of a sudden he was the best thing to happen to the defense not named Watt in franchise history.

I'm not saying that you are saying this TK, it just drives me nuts how for some on here all the moves that another playoff team makes are pure genius and every move the Texans make is pure stupidity. Other teams have their hits and misses, and I don't doubt they will have some this year, just like the Texans do.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Texas Jake and thunderkyss like this.
  6. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

The fact is the Texans wanted him back but weren't willing to pay top $$$$ to keep him. (Typical Texans org)

They decided to go cheap with Gipson. I actually like Gipson, hopefully he will be better at covering TE's than HB was.

beerlover likes this.
  7. HaveMercy

HaveMercy Passing Through

My personal taste is that I don't like the show boat stuff when it goes too far. A little bit is okay, but HB crossed that line in my book. Swearinger did, too.

I'll like the new guys better if they act like Been there, Done that, the way Earl Campbell would simply set the football down in the end zone after a touchdown.

8. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

On all Texan new additions, whether it be in free agency or draft, Gaine wanted to go bigger, faster and longer. Mathieu was undersized, despite playing bigger often times he was mismatched against athletic, big, fast TE’s. Texans learned this hard way and says a lot why they’ve spent 3 picks on TE position in two years.

Teams are spending more on hybrids, either faster LB’s who can cover or bigger safeties who won’t by physically dominated by new TE breed. What would have been ideal, since they also lost Kareem and Andre Hal, lock up badger and still add Gipson alongside Reid. Net is Texans are not as deep @ Safety and health is more a concern.

Texans have withdrawn and seem to be looking inward to find own identity and pathway to achieve goals. All I’ve asked for is more transparency, explanations for reluctance to pay and better communication for fan base. Respect is given when returned.

Now trade for Trent Williams.

steelbtexan and thunderkyss like this.
  9. Dejaview

Dejaview All Pro

Maybe not being able to cover TE’s was the reason to let him go. We got a FA that has had better success there. Since not being able to cover TE’s has plagued the secondary over the past few years why keep “ more of the same”?

10. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

Actually they didn't let him go because he was offered a pretty solid contract. He turned it down for more money.

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

People keep confusing discipline with lack of desire and/or cheap. I applaud a GM who decides on a value and sticks to their guns.

12. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

**** where they **** LOL

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss It's good to be me... again. Staff Member

For the record I think we overpaid Mathieu last season & the Chiefs made a big mistake.

14. thunderkyss

If you think $7M is cheap, slide me a couple C notes old buddy, old pal.

IMO, $7M is about right for what we got from HB last year, about the same we can expect from Gipson.

CWTexansFan and Texansballer74 like this.
  15. HaveMercy

Somehow I was always hoping for more from Honey Badger last season. There were a few flashes here and there, but overall he didn't live up to the "look at me" hype. It doesn't matter to me whether they we're paying him a lot or a little. He's gone and the Texans have new guys to play back there. It may not be full blown addition by subtraction, but it's close. I find a bit of hope in that and look forward to how the defensive backfield will play this year. They'll still need to put some draft equity into those positions next year, but I like Gaine's efforts.

Texas Jake and Texansballer74 like this.
  16. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Honey badger played his way to a pay day on a one year deal. Yet people down on him. Texans this signed more guys to one year deals. Weird...

17. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

Nobody is downing him like that.

18. HaveMercy

IMO, one year deals are becoming more prevalent, especially for players who don't have much leverage. When sure thing multi-year acquisitions aren't available, one year deals make sense with both sides hoping to catch lightening in a bottle.

19. thunderkyss

I don't think it's smart to overpay players on multi year deals. I hope the Texans have come to this conclusion as well. Many teams out there spending top dollar in FA. A few will have an actual shot. All will go through cap hell.

Overpaying for one year... seems like a way to improve your team add veteran talent, but not lock your team in to a bad deal.

Yes, we'll probably be scrambling to fix the secondary again next year. I don't know. Maybe the young guys will be ready to step in. Maybe Roby will play well & sign an extension.

We'll see.

20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Is he on the team?

The Texans didn't want to pay the going rate to keep him.