Is the Secondary fixed?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by House of Pain, May 14, 2019.

?

Is the Secondary Fixed?

1. It's even worse than it was last year.

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. It's better than last year but it's still not good.

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. It's better than last year and needs work but should be fine for this season.

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  4. It's better than last year and will make the rest of the defense better.

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. OMG BEST SECONDARY EVER!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I'm too scared to have a take so I'll just choose this option.

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Good man/press CBs are unlikely to be found just coming out of college. Probably a major reason for this void is the way college CBs are trained today to stay up with their man. In the NFL, it is mandatory that these type of CBs to be successful must be able to back pedal and quickly change direction (any direction) when needed. Colleges are now typically not teaching backpedaling..........they are teaching side shuffling.......a technique which makes it almost impossible to acutely change direction opposite of the direction they are facing. Good NFL receivers are savvy enough to take advantage of this technique every time.

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 11:11 AM
  2. CloakNNNdagger

Understood. But it was written in the present tense as if he were still on the Texans roster.

3. HaveMercy

HaveMercy Passing Through

It seems to me that the defensive backfield will still need help this year. However, if they can slow down the tight ends and quick crossing routes a bit, that may give the pass rush the extra time it needs to impact (imPACT!) the QB more often. I recall many instances of Watt & Clowney being oh so close.

At this juncture, I anticipate that Gaine will put a higher priority on the defensive backs in the next draft.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  4. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

I would think we should be better against TE's, but we still have nobody that comes close to matching up with the TY Hilton's of the world.

Also, Clowney is currently sitting out and our main depth rusher just tore his achilles so that doesn't help.

5. Dejaview

Dejaview Rookie

If so keep an eye on UT’s secondary. Tom Herman is a big fan of tall DB’s.

6. CloakNNNdagger

I can also remember many plays where the QBs could turn the callendar before needing to throw the ball.

HaveMercy likes this.
  7. HaveMercy

That's true, but we have to win only a few more of those battles each week to potentially change the outcome.

8. CloakNNNdagger

Don't disagree, but it does work both ways. We've seen what major damage occurs when our rush is pitiful and we lose those battles.

Texas Jake, CWTexansFan and HaveMercy like this.
  9. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

When you’re a DL that has to take 70 snaps a game only to have the opposing QB throw the ball before 3 seconds has expired you will tend to wear down.

10. HaveMercy

Agreed. And it sounds like OB's "complimentary football" speech.

Mr teX likes this.

11. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

KJax was never meant to be a deep ball defender. That was never his strength

thunderkyss and infantrycak like this.
  12. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

B/c that's what it takes. Too many ways to exploit defenses with only 1 strength. D-linemen know they can't use 2-3 moves to get to the qb & the Lbs/DB's know that they don't stand a chance in stopping a passing attack consistently if the pass rush isn't disruptive.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I don't know if every other team in the league has a guy who can match up with the Ty Hilton's out there. But there's a reason they play him, in particular, better than we do.

It's more than matching up with him. Something else breaks down. Inside help, safety over the top, something.

Texas Jake likes this.
  14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Correct. The only reason so many mistakenly believe Roby replaces Kjax is because they forget Kjax, who was moved to Safety before the season began, was replacing Kjohnson who missed significant time the last two seasons.

Reid replaced Kjax at Safety.

15. Seegara

Seegara Hall of Fame

Point of fact: We had too much wrong to fix it all with one draft. We chose to fix the OL this year and patch the secondary as best we could. I have no problem with that. Secondary will be the point of emphasis next year.

Texas Jake, CWTexansFan and HaveMercy like this.
  16. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Point of fact: we weren't limited to the draft.

They were dumbasses not to do more in free agency. Fine missed on the best LT. Lots of other players out there at other positions.

76Texan likes this.
  17. Seegara

Seegara Hall of Fame

Dam good point, and I agree. But no problem with the direction they went once the draft was upon them.

18. HaveMercy

I imagine Gaine had the freedom to consider getting in a bidding war for an over-priced free agent. For a number of reasons we'll probably never fully know...and, if we did, a lot of folks on this MB would deplore...he chose not to go that route.

Gaine knows his job and all of the accompanying ins and outs far better than anyone here does. I can have an opinion about the way he does his job, but that's all it is: an opinion.

I want him to be a shrewd and calculating gambler. I don't want him taking risks without carefully weighing both the upside and the downside, short term and long term.

So, I agree with what Seegara posted (quoted above). Gaine could have done more, he could have done less. But I like the direction Seegara and I think he's heading.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  19. HaveMercy

Deleted

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 11:16 PM
  20. HaveMercy

So true. I didn't mean for the comment about complimentary football to be sarcastic, but I guess the way I wrote it left my intention open to interpretation.

OB is right, as are your comments. To win consistently, complimentary football is required. As you pointed out in this specific discussion, a good pass rush helps the backfield defenders and good backfield defenders help the pass rush.

But it can't all be fixed in one off season. Gaine showed a real commitment to fixing the OL debacle this time around. We'll see how it works next off season, but I expect the DB's to be a major focus.

Mr teX likes this.