Is the OL fixed?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by thunderkyss, Apr 8, 2019.

?

Is the OL fixed?

1. Yes, Watson will be among the least sacked QBs in the league

9.7%
  2. Hell no, but I can't do anything about it.

90.3%
  1. HaveMercy

HaveMercy Passing Through

I'd be happy with this, too, provided the guys we draft turn out to be solid, good players. I really like the part about other linemen showing a lot of improvement, but I'm hoping for two. Unless Mancz is hurt, I'd like to see him at Center and Martin moved to guard. I'd also like 3 step drops, but on more than 3rd and short. That will do a lot to help the OL. Improved blocking from the tight ends is a big YES. Adding some swing passes and screens and more use of slant routes...all of that is good and will make my heart go pitta patta next season. I'm really excited to see the impact the new QB coach will have on DWatson. I'm hoping he'll be able to speed up Watson's decision making. Overall, I find a lot of entertainment value in anticipating the draft and whatever other changes that may be in store. Let it happen!

CloakNNNdagger, CWTexansFan and powda like this.
  2. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Any players drafted in the first 3 rounds you hope are good solid players. Mancz has battled injuries his entire career to date. We all hope for a quicker, less stress offense but do you really see it? Time will tell if OB/Watson have learned

3. powda

powda Team BLEACH!

I'm more into drafting for need then the "bpa mantra." Like you, I don't believe there's much distance between the 2 usually. Now, I know that's the kind of sentiment that will have some posters falling out of their chairs ready to argue. This is a message board and that's what people do ,but hear me out...

If we draft heavy for need in 1-2 consecutive years, I think it frees up most of a following draft to go purely bpa.

Imagine a cycle where we saturation draft our needs and weaknesses fixing them in one swing. Need 2 ol? Draft 4. Probability favors us. And we'd get to a point every other year where we enter the draft with minor needs. It would allow us to find multiple jewels like reed.

So in essence, dedicate 1 draft heavy on positional need. Have the freedom to draft what you want in the next. Rinse and repeat. I know that's a formula that isn't always possible due to injuries, retirements, and fa losses, but I think some version of that m.o. would work.

4. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Methinks it's mostly BPA at a position of need. This year that means OL/CB/IDL

Any of above works at 23 for me

maverick512000 and CWTexansFan like this.
  5. powda

powda Team BLEACH!

One would hope. Until they do some off schedule crap like drafting a wr or te in the first. I used to be big on the draft studying prospects every year. And every draft we mostly know what positions we need the most help at. And every year we pull some fruity bs outsmarting ourselves. It's one of the reasons I stopped caring so much about who our 5th rd pick is.

CWTexansFan, JB and Number19 like this.
  6. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

The only thing that BPA says (differently than what's posted above) that if there is a player by our team's subjective ranking that has a clear, positive separation versus the normal bubble of players, then the team should take that player.

CWTexansFan, JB and thunderkyss like this.
  7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Of course. As long as you hit on those draft picks, or you have the coaching to maximize whatever player you get.

Drafting for need is what got the Jagiars Blaine Gabbert & not half a dozen better players. Granted we benefited from that & haven't done much better (but still consistently better overall since 2011).

Like you said, bpa & need aren't really that far apart. If you have two or three players graded higher than a player of need, it would be foolish to take bpa, especially if the gap is minimal.

But when I hear need (& I'm nobody) I understand drafting an OL you have rated as the 43rd best prospect in this draft at 23. Which i cant get behind.

& please don't draft (not you, just thinking out loud) a guy most likely to play guard in the NFL if you need a tackle.

Personally, I don't care if the guy the Texans want is rated as an UDFA & we take him in the 5th. They just better have the coaching to make it work (looking at you Devlin). Make it work.

8. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

If Bryan Urlacher is there at 23 I hope they do the right thing.

JB likes this.
  9. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Yeah, if a guy you have as top 5 on your board falls, then by all means you take him, but how often is it that you will have a guy you have no need for will you have ranked that high on your board? For instance this year, if Kylar Murray fell I wouldn't think the Texans should take him. Not every team will have players ranked similar to other teams or common perception

10. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Thing is almost every team has some level of need at all but a few positions every season. It would be much shorter to look at a team and list no need positions.

QB makes the no need list more often than other positions because there's only one on the field and teams don't rotate them.

11. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

huh?

12. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

A list of positions for which a team has no need of improvement. E.g. teams with a franchise QB like Brady, Rodgers, Wilson might list QB as not needed.

JB likes this.
  13. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I dont think we will know till like game time 4th qtr week 11 …. sooo lets just "hope"

thunderkyss likes this.
  14. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I never hate anybody.
    Always say what I think though.

thunderkyss likes this.
  15. BOBdaFRAUD

BOBdaFRAUD Veteran

We already wasted Watt, were on the process of wasting Watson too...................

Look were no close to fixing this line from when we started last season. THE HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????

steelbtexan and TheKDog like this.
  16. cameronkrazie86

cameronkrazie86 Veteran

Nope. It's why I'm all for only drafting offensive linemen and a corner or two - that's it. Keep drafting offensive linemen until you find some competent ones to protect the franchise QB.

justmy2cents and CWTexansFan like this.
  17. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

And then you end up reaching and having a bunch of crap talent. They need to draft best available and they should have done better in free agency than Matt kalil and seantrel Henderson

steelbtexan likes this.
  18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Gotta spend the $$$$.

The Texans spending $$$$ in FA = LMAO

19. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

You worry about their money too much.

20. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

We worry about Watson's life expectency.

steelbtexan likes this.