Is the media is smarter than we think?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gtexan02, Dec 9, 2007.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Prior to the season, we heard the following concerns:

#1) Ahman Green is injury prone

#2) Matt Schaub is unproven

#3) The Texans OL still sucks

#4) The Texans were the worst team in the AFC South

#5) The Texans were projected to win between 5 and 6 games

Everyone exploded. Things like, "Green is in the best shape of his life!" and "The OL was only DCs fault!" and "The titans are way worse than we are and the Jags are overrated"

Well, now that we're sitting at 5-7, maybe the media seems a little smarter in hindsight...

As Texans fans we can complain all we want aobut how much ESPN critiques us and says "OL" every year as our biggest flaw. But, seriously, IT IS! If you want love in the media, you have to earn it. And ignoring our biggest problem year in and year out is not going to get us there

2. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Predictions are easy if they come true. Myself, I don't pay a whole lot to the media these days. I've pretty much stopped watching the pre game shows as well. The only thing about the media I miss is HBO's weekly NFL show. I gave up those premium channels because they weren't worth it.

3. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

media also said RB was "once in a generation" back

4. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Exactly. LOL

5. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

would this team still be sitting at 5 wins IF we didn't have the injuries that we had?

If Green and AJ would have stayed healthy and d-rob stayed healthy along with everyone else..

I would like to think with luck(no injuries) this team would be in the middle of the playoff picture and with a few more w's

6. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

without all the injuries we would, IMO, have broken the 500 mark for the first time. I don't know about the playoffs though, but we would certainly have been making more noise.

7. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Funny, I'm not a professional reporter and I don't play one on
    TV. However I resemble those remarks. Maybe Mr. McNair should pay me ?

:whip: :drive:

8. GP

GP Go Texans!

You don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

They missed the Reggie Bush prediction....

But they nailed all the points listed (about the Texans).

We need less Kool Aid drinking and more unbiased analysis from Texans fans around here: Sage Rosenfels just schooled Matt Schaub. Period.

And that's just on the mechanics of being a starting QB from the opening kickoff to the final whistle of the game. Let's also be mindful of Sage's ability to stay upright and healthy...even behind an patchwork oline, like he did today.

Go ahead and bring on the heat. I know you're ready with the standard replies of "Sage is nothing more than a backup," and blah-blah-blah. Go ahead and throw some personal attacks in there, too, while you're at it.

Sage won you a game today, and he's almost beaten the Titans several times when the rest of the team needed shock therapy to get into the game and help him out a little. The guy is growing, and he's going to be starting somewhere next season.

9. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I think the guy needs to have a couple of games like that before you can start talking about how he should be starting over Schaub. That is what you are getting at right?

10. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

you also missed my other post... I for one think the Media wouldn't be so "right" if it weren't for the injuries.. no one can predict that.

I think we'd be sitting at 7-6 or 8-5 if it weren't for AJ and crew getting injured... and with AJ and AG healthy along with our OL ....we wouldn't be looking so bad
    does that mean we wouldn't need an upgrade on OL still? no, we still would need that because we are not a superbowl caliber team talentwise, but injuries happen and like all teams, we have to play through them

about neglecting the OL... yes this team hasn't spent a 1st rounder on OL, but to say the Texans haven't tried to get OL (without breaking the bank)..one would need more research.. who was to know that Weary,White,Mckinney,Spencer would go out with injuries

along the way of this franchise of poor drafting (milford brown,boselli,seth wand, ryan young, etc etc)

11. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I can't speak for GP.. our QB's have look good but if we take a step back from the Texans and look at the NFL... what was good? all we had look at (Texan viewpoint) is Charlie Banks,Dave Ragone and David Carr.. now we are looking at Schaub and Sage..

12. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

Who is Charlie Banks?

13. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

lol its alright- nobody will bring on the heat- they see your agenda and your biased perspective (missed all of sages fumbles and ints but just saw schaubs??)

sage is a good qb and i wont dog anybody on our team when they're playing decent and helping the team (maybe you should take some of that advice) but il trust kubiak.. the guy knows a bit more about qbs than me or you

i guess some people need something to b1tch about since the usual targets either played well today or injured right now

and the media missed quite a bit about the texans:
    mario's a bust
    we have no #2 wr- just a bunch of scrubs
    weavers an emerging young d-lineman (2 yrs ago) etc

14. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

LOL Tony banks... some reason I get charlie batch and tony banks all messed up LOL
    :gun:

15. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Our OL, while patchwork, did a nice job run-blocking today and gave Sage enough time to unload the ball. Sage did a great job.

But if you want to know who one the game, look no further than the DEFENSE.

16. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Speaking of kool-aid. What are you smoking? Schaub had MULTIPLE games like this during the year but you were too busy picking them apart and saying he needs to sop fumbling or throwing bad picks...just like Sage did today. If anyone needs to open their eyes its you. Sage played a good game but wasn't without mistake. Just like Schaub had all season without his main weapon. This stuff gets so tiring. So you find fault with one guy despite his stats yet ignore anothers despite his stats. I see where you are coming from and I need to bend over to get there.

GuerillaBlack likes this.
  17. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

The title of this thread makes no sense. :cowboy1:

18. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

Sage is what he is. He's a good backup but not much more. When we win you overlook the ill advised throws that he made (really only two for him today) and the fumble that was all on him (the second one). Schaub hasn't had the benefit of Johnson most of the time he's been in the game and our running game was pretty bad until the last 3 or 4 games. I'm not sure Schaub is the answer, I was to be honest expecting more but lets remember he's seeing his first action as the starter.

Sage is IMHO Cody Carlson. He doesn't have all of the physical tools but he has the leadership to rally the troops. He does however, turn the ball over too much. Don't forget that while he threw 4 TDs against the Titans, he turned the ball over 3 or 4 times to get us in the position to need the comeback in the first place.

I said 6-10 before the season, then changed to 7-9 mid preseason. I'll stick by 7-9. Oh as for the media, I don't know how you could have been mad at them to start the year. AG was a 30 year old running back and we know their history. Spencer was a pipe dream and we were finding that out as training camp wore on. Jacksonville was obviously better than we were. As for Tenn, the difference there is coaching I think. We have a 2nd year HC who is still learning to keep the team from shooting themselves in the foot. I think that's the difference between us and Tenn.

Mike

19. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

Our run blocking was below average today and Salam got abused.

Mike

20. TD

TD TT Huckaboo

I think that could be said about over 1/2 the teams in the other divisions if they were in the south. Considering we're 0-4 in division and 3-2 against the rest of the AFC, I really believe if we were in any other division, we'd be sitting at 7-6 right now, if not 8-5, and fighting for a playoff spot.