Is something wrong with Schaub?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Ryan, Sep 29, 2010.

?

Is there a reason to be concerned about Schaub's performance?

1. Yes, his performance has been shaky and there should be a reason for concern.

41 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No, Schaub will be fine.

76 vote(s)
    65.0%
  1. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

Yes, this is a serious question. Schaub so far this season does not look like the Schaub of last year at all, and it does have me a bit concerned. He's throwing the ball behind many of his receivers, holding onto the ball too long at times, and not making as sharp of decisions as i have seen him make. So far my thoughts of him have been as such...

Week 1 vs Indy-Was not required to throw the ball much due to the success of the running game and Foster in particular, but outside of the touchdown pass to the wide open Kevin Walter, his throws that he had to make were very shaky.

Week 2 @ Was-Put up outstanding numbers, led the great comeback, but was it more on the Redskins' struggles? His first half was pretty average, and our comeback started when it seemed like the Redskins had switched to the "bend but don't break" style of defense, a plan which ultimately backfired. If we didn't have the beast known as Andre Johnson on the field, the comeback might have been cut short regardless. I shouldn't be complaining about his performance in a great win, but it might be up for debate.

Week 3 vs Dallas-Did not look very comfortable in the pocket, probably due to having a backup LT covering his blindside and a defense that puts alot of pressure on QBs. Still managed to hold onto the ball way too long, threw behind a few receivers again, and made a couple decisions that had me wondering. This game could have been a win despite Schaub's "meh" performance if the o-line had any sort of fight in them against the cowboys defense in the redzone.

So is there something to be concerned about here? Or am i just seeing things that aren't exactly correct, and you think Schaub will be fine?

2. Rey

Rey Guest

Matt has games all the time where he doesn't look all that sharp.

3. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Especially early in the year.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Yes , there's something wrong - Schaub keeps tripping over defenders in his backfield.

ESAD2-14 likes this.
  5. markn

markn Hall of Fame

I think he misses li'l Shanny.

6. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I think every game has been so completely different from the other that its impossible to conclude anything at this point. Ask me in week 10 or 11.

7. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Excluding the times that protection totally breaks down, he has had a better sensitivity to the pocket, which all elite QB's must have.

8. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

he looked rushed at times during the cowboy game but held the ball to long as well. maybe not having brown and it being 3-4 threw him off for the day. maybe last years success has him a little rattled.

9. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

:lol: Wait, what? :heh:

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I'm worried.

I finally saw Matt become a play-maker over the second half of 2009.

Now we're having to see him go through that growth process again.

11. RTP2110

RTP2110 Thank You Andre

Agree. It's still Kubiak's offense, but I'm sure there are some differences between Kyle & Dennison. Some of his slow performance could be from learning a slightly new offense.

12. jshabang

jshabang Quality Backup!

hate to sound negative but i was thinkin the same thing......just looks to have regressed a little to me.....dont see the decisiveness that i thought he would have coming off a year where he lead the league in passing

not looking elite and quick with the ball like most elite qb's ala peyton, rivers, brees.....who have taken that next step in reading defenses and reacting....I saw rivers last week in the redzone throw about 3 touchdowns back to back cuz his guys got penaltties and i was like man....thats a qb who knows his offense and is in a different comfort zone

when schaub has playactioned this year it has looked horrible.....on some go routes the ball has been either underthrown or overthrown......no slants at all....zero over the middle to the tightends except that 1 play to dreesen in washington...these were staples for schaub last season which he looks to be lost on this season

dont know if this is due to qb or receivers but the chemistry either way doesnt look quit there with them to me.....and hes holding the ball for a eternity....which he wasnt doing at all the end of last season???

is it the receivers not gettin open, qb regressing, or change of coordinators (no lil shanny).......remains to be seen

13. Silver&Blue94

Silver&Blue94 Noob

There isn't a thing wrong with Schaub. You guys got a elite QB, who I think can take you all to the big dance eventually.

14. Texan_Bill

Yeah, you mean like the running game?

15. Texan_Bill

We're not quite ready to go "elite"......yet, but thanks for the kind words!

16. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

What? Like the fact that we actually have one makes a difference?

17. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

Not worried about Matt at all.

However, I have lost sleep about OD. Something isn't right there. He's not the same player he used to be. I'm worried.

18. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

I'm more worried about the O-line. They've looked terrible so far this year.

19. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

Unfortunately, I had to vote yes. I have thought the same thing a couple of times. I've noticed his passes coming up short and really off target at times. I'm talking so off target your going "WTF was that?". Hopefully it's just a timing thing and communication with the receivers. I could be wrong, but don't most top QBs work with their receivers in the off season (on their own time) to keep that rhythm and timing down? You always hear about QBs & WRs who have that unspoken communication where they can just anticipate what the other is going to be doing. I don't think we're there yet, for whatever reason. Hopefully they can get that squared away and fast. We have a really good shot this year, but only if our offense is at least as potent as it was last year.

20. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

I have to agree with you there. I don't see how we could improve on the run blocking, but regress so far on the pass blocking. We needed to take a step forward on both. It's not like they "forgot" how to pass block, so I'm wondering how much of it is the scheme from Dennison (if it's any different) or calling the wrong play at the wrong time.