Is our season "toast" if we lose this game?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Oct 24, 2008.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Something to think about. It's the same question that the mighty Colts are asking going into this next game. I got this from a Colts article. But it's very applicable and sobering to OUR situation..............especially, since we have already lost once to each of our AFC South brethren............and we're only thinking of "making it into the playoffs." :

2. txchick1971

txchick1971 SassyRedneck

with jelly to be exact.....jk, but really can we recover from that?

3. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

If we lose to the Bungles this weekend, this season is over. Doesn't mean I'll quit watching them, but at that point I'd quit expecting anything out of them.

4. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

Not technically. But, practically, yes.

You figure you need 9-10 wins to get in. We have 10 games left with only 2 wins. That means we'd need to go 7-3 at the least to have a shot. Considering the disparity in our home play versus road play (with 5 road games left,) I'd say a home game versus a winless team is a must win.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  5. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Well, yeah it's toast already I would think...

but if there's a loss this week, I'm hope there's some burning of butts afterwards.

6. 281

281 Hall of Fame

yes

7. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Until we prove we can be anything resembling a team that can win a road game, we're not going anywhere. Beating the Lions and Bengals means nothing. If they beat Cincy then pull the upset in Minnesota - that will go a long way. The Texans are a horrible, awful road team.

8. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

The playoffs is the last thing on my mind right now.

We still have to win three in a row for the first time in franchise history. Sunday is our next chance to accomplish this task, and against an 0-7 team in our stadium, I'm not sure what else would be required to set it up better for us.

And beyond that, we still have to establish our first winning season in franchise history. I just cannot believe in a playoff run for this team until they can learn how to walk first. Right now we are in year 7 of baby steps.

9. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Let's just hope that after the past 4 weeks, we've learned how to finish.

And let's hope that we remember to start like we did against the Lions.

10. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

so right :)

11. spurstexanstros

spurstexanstros Texans Rising

Operation .500 would be hard to achieve if we loose this week and the season depnds on the Texans being as close to .500 as possible.

12. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I think a loss to the Bengals would mean one of three things to the majority of posters here. I would fall into category one.

1) It would mean the Texans aren't going anywhere this season and there are serious concerns for the team's direction.
    2) Mediocre is good enough.
    3) It would be further proof the Texans are constantly improving and on the cusp of being dominant.

It all depends on the point of view.

13. Tedc

Tedc Hardheaded

You know the old saying....... "On any given Sunday, the Texans have a shot at beating a team they are supposed to beat."

14. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Agreed.

If this team cannot beat the Bengals this week then we have accomplished nooothinnng.

I have no faith that we will win. That is how jaded I have become about our Texans.

We blew a 21 point lead at home to the Lions and had to hold on by our fingernails to salvage a win at home. :thud:

Pathetic display despite the quick start.

I don't have the ability to record and rewatch the game, but my initial impression (opinion) was that in the second half our O went into a shell and the D was all but non-existant, again.

I have lost all faith in the ability of both of our coordinators to make in game adjustments.:stooges:

Kubiak is trying to build a team and at the same time train coaches to be coordinators. It doesn't appear that he is being too successful at the later.

Despite the stats (which here in the past have been proven to be misleading) Matt Schaub is not the answer. He is a turnover machine that cannot lift his level of play to overcome his turnovers.

AJ and Mario are poster boys for inconsistency. Flashes followed by disappearing acts. Before throwing stats at me, name a game on the line, where AJ or Mario stepped it up.

I'm soooooo tired of waiting...:foottap:

:coffee:

Double Barrel likes this.
  15. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Exactly...with an equal possibility/probability of losing the same game.

Sorry gang...my pessimism has won.

:coffee:

16. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

We're already toast.

17. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

I agree. If we lose this week we have no shot at the playoffs.

We didn't blow a lead. The Lions would have actually had to have tied it for us to have blown a lead. They didn't since we were up 28-10 at one point. The Colts game was blowing a lead.

Didn't AJ catch a pass to put us in FG position against the Jags? And what about that catch he had against the Dolphins? If that's not stepping it up I don't know what is.

RTP2110 likes this.
  18. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

The win loss record is what I had expected, it just bothers me how the team has given away Ws . This year for me was about solidifying the team and gettig the new offense going. The receiving game is where I hoped it would be and both Slaton and Brown have fulfilled my expectations and then some. I expect Houston to crush Bengals and show a "finisher's" attitude not seen last week. I want JJ to have a great game and hug momma again. Maybe twice. I want to see at least four sacks for our D line and to have some huge knock downs by the dbacks maybe an INT or two. It's time for Richard Smith to convince fans he is the guy.

I am so confident of a lopsided score, I have accepted an invitation to go for a sail Sunday after church and not watch the game. First one I've missed since Texans started.

19. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

If the Texans lose to the Bengals this Sunday, the Texans have made arrangements for a bodyguard to walk the coaches to the tunnel.

[​IMG]

The quality, of course, is reflected by the present economy..........and the level of true committment to protect the staff.

20. False Start

False Start On # 69

Maybe not toast but more like a burnt pop-tart, even though its ruined it still has some potential.